Chapter 2

Hope

 

 

This is so boring.  Do I have to just sit here and look at my pathetic self and feel sorry for myself?’

 

She got up from the floor and started to wander around the ward trying to avoid people that walks and rushed down the corridor.  It was a bit hard to do so as other people can’t see her and it was a little discomfort to get walked thru by the living.  She didn’t see or feel the particles of people that went through her but it’s just a little tinge of discomfort feeling in the stomach when they do.  Sometimes it felt like a tingling sensation and whatever the feeling was, she just hated it.  It kept reminded her that she weren’t real and doesn’t belong in this world.

 

Looking from one ward to another, hoping she would find someone who was experiencing like her or someone who could see her and understand her situation, but no one seemed to notice her even if she was standing right in front of them and making funny faces.  She held her spectacles away for a while and looked around.

 

Even as a spirit my vision is still blur.  So, what is so fun being a spirit?  I can’t surf the Internet and update my site, I can’t play around cracking into this hospital’s system and I can’t even change from this stupid attire.  I wished I was shot when I was wearing my t-shirt and jeans.  This slack and blouse is so uncomfortable…’ she thought as she put on her specs again and looked at her blouse and shoes. 

 

She took the shoes off and continued walking, experimenting with it.  Hoping she could at least get rid of the 1-inch heeled office shoe.  It is more comfortable to walk around without it.  But she didn’t get far when she noticed that her feet are covered with the shoes again.

 

“Urggh…I’m stuck like this?  This is so not fun!” she screamed as loud as she can, knowing that no one would hear her.

 

 

“Hey, who goes there?  This is a hospital!”

 

 

She snapped her head to her right, into an open ward.  She slowly walked closer to the open door and jerked her head inside.  It’s a single ward with a boy lying on the bed reading a fashion magazine.

 

 

“I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to scream like that,” she said, trying to see whether the boy really could hear her.

 

The boy set his magazine down and looked at her.  He really looked straight at her.

 

 

“You can see me?”

 

“Of course…who else would I be looking at?” he said looking disturbed.

 

 

She was really happy when she heard what he said and straight away went inside.

 

“Wait a minute.  Who asked you to come in?”

 

She ignored the question and kept walking.  She’s really not the daring type and also, like what her colleagues thought of her, she’s not good at socializing with other people but being a spirit with nothing to do, she doesn’t care anymore.  Having someone being able to see and hear her changed her instantly.  She doesn’t care anymore.  She just wanted to be noticed and not forgotten, not just being in the background, looking at other people.  She never thought she would feel this way about people. 

                                        

 

“So, what are you doing?  Reading magazine?  What are you here for?  You don’t seemed sick to me.  This is the intensive care ward and you don’t fit the bill.”

 

“Why are you being nosy?” he said before dismissing her and read his magazine again.

 

 

She stood by his bedside, looking at the magazine.

 

 

“Does people really wear that?” asked her as he turned to a page of a ridiculous looking clothing in shocking pink and the model wearing a hockey mask in pink as well.

 

“Do you mind?  Don’t you have anyone to visit here at the hospital?  Why are you bothering me?”

 

“Why?  Can’t I visit you?”

 

“I don’t even know you, so why do you want to visit me?  Ahhh… You are one of those stalkers.  How do you know that I had been admitted to this hospital?”

 

“Hold on now…who are you?  Why should I be stalking you?  Are you famous?”

 

“Ahhh…the ‘I don’t know you’ act…stop it.  You are already aware who I am, so please stop with the act.  Okay now, where’s your camera?  Are you going to post this on the Internet?”

 

“Excuse me…why should I write about you?  I don’t even know who you are.”

 

“Do you really expect me to believe you?”

 

“What? I really, really don’t know you.  I don’t spend my time watching TV or surf the internet for trivial topics like entertainment or sports or politic issues…so, which category are you in?” she asked looking bored at him while walking towards the window. 

 

 

She was careful not to touch anything so that he wouldn’t see her going through things.  Since he didn’t answer her and just huffed at her question, she ignored him as well and watched the scenery from his window.  That was when she heard footsteps sound and greetings behind her.

 

 

“Yo, my brother!  Did you miss me?  How are you doing today?”

 

“Hi, Jung Min…”

 

 

She turned her head to the direction where the voices came from and saw three other boys around the age of the boy on the bed entering the ward and approaching him.  She glanced over at him and saw the uncomfortable glare he was giving her.  Understanding the meaning of the glare, she made her way out of the room in silent, carefully avoiding the hyper tall boy that sat at the end of the bed.  But what she didn’t expect was when she was about to stepped out of the room, another boy came in, in a rush, going straight through her.  She stopped in her tracks feeling the discomfort sense when she realized that the boy might probably saw the scene.  Looking back at the ward, she was right.  The boy was in shock.  His eyes were big, his mouth opened in a big ‘O’ and he was pointing at her.  His friends were confused at his gesture as they can’t see her.  She smiled at him and waved him good-bye before exiting.

 

‘I’ll visit him again later…we’ll see how he acts in front of me now…’