Chapter 4

Hope

 

 

Yu Soo Min stretched herself lazily on the floor beside the bed that placed her body and lay on her back.  Since this was the only solid place for her, there is no other choice other than this.  She accepted it, half-heartedly, but still, she accepted her current condition and everything that comes with it.  Eyeing at the clock hanging on the wall of her room, she sighed.  It was already 10 at night.  She had waited for his visit from 7 and there were still no sign of him.  To go over to his room was out of the question.  She would seem desperate if she were to do that.  Even as a spirit, she wanted to keep some part of dignity and pride as a lady. 

 

From beneath the hospital’s bed, she turned her head towards the direction of the door, hoping.  Hoping that he would keep his promise and visit her.  This was the first.  The first for her to wait someone from the opposite .

 

Come to think about it…I have done and feel a lot of first times ever since I’m in this situation.  Things that I never knew I’d be able or capable to do.  Being friends with a man.  Not any man, an idol.  Have a normal conversation with someone I just knew.  Waiting for someone for more than 30 minutes…These are all new experience to me and became the highlight of my current condition,’ she thought as she turned away from eyeing the door and adjusted her body to face the other direction.

 

She tried to close her eyes and sleep.  Even in reality she didn’t feel sleepy or tired at all in the spirit form, she wanted to sleep.  Just to make the time flies faster.  She tossed and turned but it seemed this time around, sleeping wouldn’t be that easy after all.  Slowly sitting up, she turned to the door once again.

 

This is ridiculous!  He’s not coming, Soo Min ah.  Stop waiting.  He’s probably too tired from the operation.’

 

Standing up, she walked out of the room, looking along the right and left side of the hallway.  Everything was silent with some movements from the nurses, checking from one room to the other.  Visiting hours has ended an hour ago.  She walked silently to the staircase and walked through the door, climbing the stairs slowly straight to the rooftop.  If she has to be alone, might as well she goes to a place that practically would mean she’d be alone.

 

Climbing 4 floors up the stairs didn’t even make her short of breath and that was what she liked about being a spirit.  And there was nothing that could block her way as she could simply walk through anything.  She smiled as she set foot on the rooftop and looked up towards the sky.  There were not a lot of stars but enough for her to stargaze.  She sat at the edge, her body in between the wired fence, her legs dangling.

 

I wonder if a spirit could get hurt.  If I do, what would happen to my body?’ she thought as she looked down at the pavement way below.  ‘Do I really want to take the chance?’

 

“Stop!”

 

Huh?

 

She turned her head sideways, to the direction of the door to the rooftop.  Her eyes widen and she was stunned.  The person that was standing at the door was none other than Park Jung Min who was clearly panting, trying to catch up with his breathing.

 

“What are you doing here?  You’ve just gone through an operation and you climbed the stairs?”

 

“You…stay away… from the edge…come here,” he ordered, panting in between the sentences, waving his hand, motioning her to come towards him.

 

She was still.  She didn’t make a move when he heard what Jung Min asked her to do and kept staring at Jung Min.  ‘He does know that I am a spirit, right?

 

Probably seeing her not making any effort of following to his instruction, he slowly made his way towards her, “Can’t you just come over here?”

 

“Jung Min-sshi, you still remember that I’m a spirit right?  I’m not even solid.  Even if I fall down, I’ll be okay.”

“Why are you being so stubborn?  How do you know you’d be okay?  You are the spirit and if anything happen to you, won’t it affect your body?  The soul and body can’t live without one another…  Jebal…Soo Min-sshi.”

 

Looking at the concern and worry eyes, she stood up, turned her position and made her way towards where Park Jung Min was waiting.  She could see his lips curving up and his eyes glitter, probably happy that she followed his instructions.

 

She stood in front of him, “Why are you here?  How do you know that I’m here?”

“I’m sorry.  I promised you that I’ll visit but my band mates just didn’t seem to want to go back home until the nurse kicked them out.  Only then I managed to walk around the floor, searching for your room.  That was when I saw you going through the emergency staircase door, looking down.”

 

He did follow through his promise,’ she thought, still staring at him.  “You shouldn’t climb the stairs from level 2.  What if your cut opened during the process?”

 

The smile on his face grew into a grin, “I took the elevator.  Stopping at each level and when I can’t find you at the top level, I was contemplating whether I should go down to the lobby or rooftop.  I decided to check the rooftop.  Lucky they’ve took out the tube from my hand.  If not, it would be harder to climb the stairs.”

 

“Why do you follow me?  It’s okay if you rest.  I’d understand.  You just had an operation.”

“I’ve made a promise.  I don’t break them unless there was no other way to fulfill them.  And you looked so hopeful about me visiting you.”

 

He’s really considerate and trustworthy.  I don’t know many artistes but he’s not what I expect how an artiste would act.  One would think that artistes are stuck up, diva and selfish.  Is he for real?

 

“So, what are you doing here?  And sitting at that dangerous position?” he asked.

“I was just stargazing.”

“Really?”  He looked up, “There’s not a lot of stars that you can see.  Are you sure you’re stargazing, only?”

“Why do you ask that?” inquired her, eyeing at him.

“You look like you wanted to jump down.”

“Oh…”

He glared at her, “What do you mean, ‘oh’?  You really wanted to jump?”

She shrugged, “I wanted to do an experiment.  I wonder if I could get hurt in this form.”

“Are you crazy?  What happen if you did?  Won’t your body suffered too?  Like I said, they are connected.  They are one.”

“How do you know?” she asked, not really believing a word he just said.

“Common sense.  If you want to experiment, why don’t you try with something simple?  Instead of jumping from the 6th floor?”

“Something simple?”

“Yeah, like could you go outside of the hospital or if you could focus your mind and hold on to things instead of going through them.  Those kinds of experiments won’t hurt you, you know.”

 

She looked at him in disbelieve, ‘He has been thinking about all of this?  Why would he give my condition a thought?

 

“Why?”

Jung Min stared at her, confused.  “What do you mean?”

“Why do you even bother to think about all this?  Why do you care?”

He averted his sight away from her and focused on the fence, “Because…”

“Because?”

“Just because…apish…it’s cold.  Let’s go down,” he said, pushing the question away and made his way back to the door.

 

He opened the door, stopped and looked back at her, “Aren’t you going to follow?  You should show me where your room is so that it’ll be easier for me to go over tomorrow morning.”

She walked towards him, a smile crept on her face, “You really want to visit me?  But aren’t you going to be discharged tomorrow?”

“Do I only have tomorrow to visit you?  I can’t after tomorrow?” he asked as he came closer to her after they have made the way down the flight of stairs.

“No…that’s not what I meant…arrggghhhh….”

 

She fell over the stairs as she went through the railing when she backed away from Jung Min and landed on the stairs, a level below from where Park Jung Min was.