Chapter 20

Hope

 

 

“Tangshinun musowoyo?” he asked her suddenly, breaking the silence away.  She kept her sight on the Han River, with her chin rested on her knees of her propped up legs by the park on the side of the river where they had stopped after leaving Eun Hyuk’s or the Super Junior’s apartment.

 

“Musowoyo.” 

 

Her answer was short and weak.  Afraid.  One word that truly described entirely how she felt at the moment.  One word that Jung Min knew even without asking her as she knew that was how he felt as well.  Especially after the incident or encounter in the car earlier.  3 yellow butterflies appeared of nowhere inside the car and they startled her, making Jung Min curious when she tried to shooed them away as he couldn’t see them.  He stepped on the brake abruptly when she told him about them.  Luckily the traffic was not heavy and they were on the slow lane; accident was avoidable.  That was when he made the decision to stop by the Han River for awhile before heading to the company for his recording.

 

Jung Min’s hand that was holding onto her left hand ever since they sat there, gave it a light squeeze.  He then took her hand and placed it on top his other gloved hand that was resting on his thigh.

 

“You shouldn’t be. No matter what, Eun Hyuk hyung and I will absolutely help you to get back inside your body and continue living.  I promise you I will always be there for you, right?  Trust me.”

 

Trust.  That word again.  But when he said it, I really do feel that I have given my trust to him.  Am I being gullible again?  Like before?’ she debated with herself as she tilted her head to look over at Jung Min who was staring at her with his kind, trusty eyes.  ‘Maybe I should do so.  Since it’s him.

 

Soo Min sat up straight and faced Jung Min.  She fixed her sight straight into his deep, dark brown eyes. Searching for the truth and she saw them.  His honesty.  His believe.  She gave him a light nod and raised her free hand up to his cheek.  Cautiously, as to just leave at least an inch away from his skin.  Her hand lingered there for a few seconds before finally putting her hand down and broke their eye connection, looking back to the still river.

 

“Jung Min ah…”

 

“Ne?”

 

“Can I ask you something?”

 

“Anything.”

 

“This has nothing to do about my situation.”

 

“Like I said, anything.  What is in your mind?” asked Jung Min, giving her hand another squeeze.

 

Soo Min turned her head away from his sight, feeling shy.  She didn’t want him to see her face when she asked the question.   “Why…emmm…did you…well, like me?”

 

She heard Jung Min holding onto his breath after the question finally came out of and then followed by a chuckle.  It confused her but she was still too embarrassed to turn over.  She waited for his answer in the same position as the question was asked. 

 

“Why do all girls like to ask this question?  Even the girl in Twilight asks this question as well.  Bella.  Waeyo?”

 

She took her hand away from Jung Min’s.  His act like the question was something silly to ask about, pissed her off a bit.  For her it is something really important as this is the first time after middle school, a guy liked her.  Yu Soo Min quickly stood up and walked away, “You don’t have to answer.  Forget it,” she uttered in the process.

 

“Chamkkan…eh?  Soo Min ah…where are you going?”

 

Soo Min ignored him and walked on.  She didn’t get far when both sides of her arms were held tightly by Jung Min, forcing her to stop going forward.  The man behind her then turned her towards him, something she had predicted would happen and quickly avoid his face by looking down to the grass.

 

“Is it that hard to just accept and trust my feelings for you?”

 

She gave him her answer.  A nod.  The answer was followed by a sigh from him.

 

“Yu Soo Min.  Tell me why it is so unbelievable for me to like you.  And please look at me.”

 

She raised her head and looked straight at him, giving him a daring look, “I can actually name a few.  First, the obvious reason.  I’m not real.  I’m a spirit.  Two, you hardly know me.  Three, I’m plain Jane and lastly, four.  Just look at you.  You are good looking and an idol.”

 

Jung Min gave her his questionable look, “Those are reasons?  Psshh…”

 

“Well?  What would your answer be?”  Her shyness ran away and replaced by annoyance instead when she heard his statement.

 

“Sit.  It would be too awkward if people see me like this,” he said as he released her and grabbed both of her hand, pulling her down to sit on the grass again, only this time around, he was sitting facing her.

 

“Listen to my answer carefully because I don’t want you to ask me this question again,” Jung Min said as he clasped her hand together, sandwiching them between his.

 

“Feelings and fate always comes in the most unexpected ways.  And it came to me in this way.  In your current form.  Would we have met otherwise if you are healthy and normal?  I have no idea when those feelings started to crept into my heart.  It just does.  I don’t keep count the time and condition of my feelings.  And who says you are plain?  Beauty depends on the eye of the beholder.  For me you are beautiful and cute,” he paused to catch a breath before continuing, “and I am good looking enough to compliment the both of us.  About me being an idol.  Am I not a human, a man first?  Even idols deserve to fall in love.  The last one.  Tell me about you, then I would know you more than what I know now.  Does that answer your question?  Wow!  I should get an ‘A’ for that long essay.”

 

That made her chuckle.  Deep down in her heart, she felt fluttered by his answer.  She never knew that was how he felt and how he saw her.  But it was true; she hadn’t told him about her.  How she really is.  How she became who she was.  

 

Maybe Eun Hyu –sshi was right.  I need to cleanse myself.  And if it meant that Jung Min should know about my past, then be it.  He deserves to know about me.  And then, let him decide; to continue liking me or let me be,’ she decided as she took a deep breath, taking in all her courage to open up to him.