09 Flashback: Gikwang

Perfectly You

May 5th, 2008

"I'm going back to Seoul today," Gikwang speaks on the phone with his mother. "It's her birthday."

Gikwang finishes the conversation and enters his car. He's at US right now and he's planning to go back to Seoul today. He already bought a necklace with snowflake pendant for Kyuri. He knows that she likes snow; she said it last Christmas when Gikwang told her about Christmas in US.

She never got any chances to play with the snow; her body is too weak and it's way too cold for her to play outside. Gikwang is thinking about taking her to US since he spends more time at US and Kyuri's father doesn't stay at home often as well. He never talked about this suggestion before since he knew that Kyuri will refuse his offer.

He's going to tell Kyuri about it two years ago but her father re-married and she has new family members now. Gikwang kept his thought; he's not going to do anything if he already knew that it will be a failure. He doesn't talk much to Kyuri but he always succeed in making Kyuri surprised with his appearances.

__________

The plane delayed for 2 hours because of some incidents. Gikwang should be arrived before 7 PM, before Kyuri's birthday party, but he arrived at Seoul at 8 PM. He blamed himself because he didn't take earlier flight. He went to her house and arrived around 9 PM.

One of the maids opens the door for him. Gikwang flashes a smile and walks to the main hall, looking for Kyuri but he finds nobody. He turns to dining room and finds Jiyeon there.

"Gikwang Oppa!" Jiyeon stands up quickly. She was drinking a glass of orange juice when Gikwang walked in the dining room.

"Jiyeonnie," Gikwang bows a little. "Where's Kyuri?"

Jiyeon's smile has disappeared now. Gikwang knows that this girl has a crush on him since last year. He feels sorry but he can't love her back; Kyuri is the only person who stays on his mind, whether she wants him back or not. Gikwang grasps the little box of necklace in his pocket gently, waiting for an answer.

"She's in the garden," Jiyeon answers, "with Yoseob."

Gikwang doesn't change his expression. Yoseob, Kyuri's childhood friend. He always with Kyuri whenever Gikwang's back from US. Kyuri always talk a lot about Yoseob as well: his cuteness, his angelic voice, his kindness. Gikwang never talked much with Yoseob but somehow, ironically, he feels Kyuri is safe with Yoseob.

He leaves the dining room and walks to the garden. He can look Kyuri and Yoseob are sitting on the bench, laughing because of Yoseob's jokes. Kyuri is wearing blue jacket and white scarf, the one Gikwang gave to her last Christmas.

Kyuri noticed his appearance when he walked nearer to them, "Gikwang Oppa?"

Yoseob turns his head and his cute smile fades away quickly.

"Saengil chukkahamnida, Kyuri ah," Gikwang touches her right cheek with his left hand. His right hand is still in his pocket, making sure that the jewelry box is going nowhere. "I'm sorry. I'm late, really late."

"It's alright," Kyuri smiles sweetly, the one Gikwang always love to see. "After all, you are busy."

Those simple words crush his heart. Kyuri always say that when he's late. Well, he is busy. He's doing the best so he can have something that make Kyuri proud of him, proud for being his fiancee. But then again, he never said any of these thoughts to Kyuri.

"I'm not busy today," Gikwang takes a seat next to Kyuri, the other side of Yoseob who is glaring at him now. "They delayed the flight. My apologize."

Kyuri shakes her head slowly, "It's alright, Yoseob Oppa is with me. I'm not alone."

Once again, it felt like a knife just stabbed his heart. Gikwang forces a smile in his lip, "Glad to hear that."

Silence. Awkward silence.

"I'm going home then, Kyuri," Yoseob stands up. "It's getting late now. I have the cake in the refrigerator. You better eat it!"

Kyuri giggles and nods, "Let me walk you to the door."

"No," Yoseob grins, "I'll be fine. Once again, saengil chukkae yo~"

Yoseob patted her head before walks away, leaving Kyuri alone with Gikwang now.

"So...," Kyuri turns to face Gikwang. "You're going back to US tomorrow, right?"

Gikwang feels hurt; as if Kyuri has already know that he doesn't have much time to spend with her in Seoul. He will go back to US tomorrow evening; he doesn't even have 24 hours to spend with his fiancee and this surely annoying for Kyuri, whether she likes him back or not.

Gikwang realized that he should have told Kyuri about his feelings but he doesn't feel enough yet, he's not worth it for Kyuri now. He's going to tell everything to her when she's 20 years old; he made this promise to himself since he went to US. Somehow he knows that he's been so selfish to believe that Kyuri won't fall for Yoseob just because Kyuri always tell him that Yoseob is her best friend, nothing else.

"Tomorrow is tomorrow. I have today to celebrate," Gikwang takes the jewelry box out from his pocket. "Close your eyes."

Kyuri closes her eyes with curiousity. She can feel that Gikwang stands up and walks to her back side. She can feel that something is wrapped around her neck; Gikwang puts on the necklace.

"I hope you like it," Gikwang sits back.

Kyuri is amused by the present and touches the pendant, "Kamsahamnida, Gikwang Oppa."

"Sure," Gikwang pats her head with a smile.

_____________

May 4th, 2010

Gikwang rushes from the airport to his car. He just received a text message from Junhyung about Kyuri. He didn't reply the text message because he's too worry about her. He closes his eyes in the way to hospital, praying for Kyuri.

"God, don't let anything happen to her," Gikwang whispers. "It's her 20th birthday."

He arrives at the hospital, walks faster till he finds Junhyung and Yoseob in front of Kyuri's room. He is really glad when a nurse comes out from her room, announces that she already awake.

"It's been a while," Gikwang tries to talk to Kyuri after she didn't give any respond to Yoseob. "I made it before your birthday."

"Who are you?" the question comes out from Kyuri.

By those three words, Gikwang's eyes widened. He can't believe his ears. The doctor asks them to wait outside while Kyuri will be examined once again, considering that she has lost her memories because of the car accident.

Gikwang walks outside without a word. Yoseob looks really worried and he keeps praying for Kyuri. Junhyung, on the other hand, looks alright on his face but he is clenching his fists now.

Gikwang leans to the wall; for the first time in his life, he really wanted to tell Kyuri about how much he loves her... but now she doesn't even recognize him anymore.

==========

Author's Note:

"Saengil chukhahamnida" means 'Happy Birthday'.

"Kamsahamnida" is a formal greeting of "Thank You".