Blank Pages

Even After Time (Infinite Hiatus)

-5 years later-


Jessica's POV:

Five years ago, I was a victim of a hit-and-run car accident. My car was beyond repair, just as my life was. Had the ambulance came exactly one minute later, perhaps I would have been just as good as dead.  Doctors after doctors came to try to wake me up from a coma or at least keep me alive. Money can't buy a lot of things, yet I believe I was bought back in to life. My father was able to afford the highest form of treatment and care for me. After a good two months of sleep, I woke up again. Two months of sleep took its toll on my body and mind. My brain was severely injured to the point they called it "amnesia". Unlike most people, I wasn't able to speak nor was I able to recognize my own father until I was placed to rehabilitation. In that facility, I regained memories and abilities, including my ability to think. It wasn't an easy two year experience. Five months into the program, I almost killed myself, thinking I was better off dead than living miserably with disabilities. After that, I was signed into another program called "psychiatry". For those years, I've still yet to regain my full ability to feel. On the third year, I was free from the programs. I heard them tell my father I wouldn't fully recover until I go out in to the "world" again. Three years have past since then and I've gotten a hang of this thing they called "life." Through therapy, I realized I was kept alive because I've yet to finish the process of living. My psychiatrist told me to find out the meaning as to why I had a second chance when most people in my situation wasn't. "Life is a book with an end page, but nothing written within the pages before. You weren't able to finish writing your story, so you were given another chance to." Even though I was still regaining my ability to speak, I was able to understand the words spoken by others. My psychiatrist was apparently a friend I had in college that went by the name "Sooyoung." They told me that I would only listen to her because she'd take me out, away from my dreadful hospital room, to eat, but I think I only listened to her because I already knew her, even if I wasn't aware of that myself. Oddly enough, it was the events before the accident that were the most vague to me. After three years of avoiding it, I decided it was best to face it.

So here I am.

"Ms. Jung, welcome back to Korea"

A familiar man wearing a fitted suit approached me as I walked out of the airport. His hair was pure black, spiked up  in a clean cut. His walking posture made him seem as if he were a model for a top luxury brand of some sort.

"Missed me?" I punched his arms playfully as I .

He didn't reply to me, but, by the small smile he was trying hard to hide, I figured he did.

"If you're ready, we can head over to your loft."

"Fine, but you carry my stuff" With that, I handed the luggage over to him and walked off to his car.

"Like I have a choice..." I heard him whisper behind me.

"Even if you did, you'd still carry it for me if I asked you"

"You never know "He seemed a bit surprised that I heard him at first, judging from the incredulous look he gave me.

He unlocked the car before heading to the back of the car to place my luggage in the trunk. As he did that, I scrolled through my phone, reading over a blog about Korea.

"Seatbelt" He instructed as he sat on the driver seat.

I placed my phone back to my back pocket and wore my seatbelt, just as he said.

"Nice car" I complimented, scanning over the interior design of the unfamiliar car.

"Thanks. I just got it recently." He smiled happily after my compliment. "It's the Aston Martin Vanquish v12 that I told you about"

"Wait, but this is what I was supposed to buy you for your birthday." I folded my arms over my chest angrily. Great. I have to think of a new present.

"That's why I bought it, so you wouldn't have to. This is really expensive, you know?"

"Money is less of a problem than knowing what to buy for you..." I nonchalantly answered.

"Your recovery would be your present for me"

For some reason, I felt my cheeks heat up. He'd joke around like this time and time around, but I've yet to get used to it. Sooyoung would tell me that he is my "crush." She didn't really explain the definition of the word to me and the rehab people told me that crush is breaking something. I don't think that's what Sooyoung meant, though.

" That's the worst present I can give you. I'm sure there is something else you want besides this car."

"You have no idea how much I wish for that present" After that, he grew silent and sadder. I knew he was sincere, but recovery was out of my control. It wasn't like I enjoyed being clueless about a lot of things. Five years of learning and trying shows how evident it is that I wanted to recover just the same as he. I've never wanted anything more in my 5 years of life than this recovery. It was hard to feel unaccomplished and a disappointment to the people I care about. From what I was told, my father had great expectations of my future unbeknownst to him that a car accident would make me a walking idiot. They all tell me that they are just happy that I'm still alive, but I know how much it hurt them to know that I wasn't aware that we were even related.

"Say. Is there someone, here in Korea, that I should see again? Anyone that I really cared about? It might help with your possible present"

"Uh.. You..umm.. ya... I mean. Probably" He began stuttering, seemingly hesitant in answering my question. People were always sensitive whenever I asked them the question and he was no different. I sometimes wonder whether whatever they were hiding was the key to my well hidden memories.

"We're here. I'll go get the luggage as you check in" He quickly parked his car and got out, leaving me behind in confusion.

"Could have just ignored my question instead of ignoring me altogether..." I mumbled before heading to my loft.


 

"Jess, where do you want me to leave this?" He held the luggage up to me.

"I'll just take it to my room to unpack. I need to look around and figure out the general structure of the place and where everything is anyways." I took hold of the carry on and smiled thankfully at him. "Can you cook something for me?"

"I'm not very good at cooking. I heard of a good restaurant near here though" He scratched the back of his head shyly.

"You're not half as bad as me in cooking. Cook for me. I can eat in a good restaurant with you anytime, but today I want to try something you cooked." I reasoned, attempting to convince him in to cooking for me. I always wondered how well he cooked, since he seems like he is good at everything since I met him 5 years ago.

"Fine, but you better not make fun of me" He sighed dejectedly before scowling at me.

I smirked in response and waved at him teasingly, which he rolled his eyes at as he went off to the kitchen, wherever that was.



After I finished unpacking and changing to something more comfortable, I went out looking around the loft until I had a clear indication of where everything was. I headed back down to the living room, where I found him setting up the table with silverware. I sat down and watched as he finished up cooking whatever he was cooking.

"You're lucky I went out of my way and filled up your refrigerator before you came today." He was platting the dish like some kind of professional.

"An idiot would be lucky to have a friend" I nodded agreeing as I sat straight.

He walked over to the table with two plates, setting one down in front of me and the other to where he was going to sit.

"You sure you didn't buy this from the "good restaurant" you were talking about earlier?" The dish was so clean and perfectly plated, like the usual dishes I eat in high rating restaurants.

"You specifically asked me to cook for you, so I did." He smiled proudly while he looked over his work. "Its pasta with sausage, tomato, and cream. Not exactly the most fancy cuisine out there, but it's edible."

"Thanks. Thanks for everything" We shared a short eye contact before we looked awkwardly away from each other after.

He's cute when he wants to be.

"I'll eat well."

After that, we kept pretty silent with small talk here and there. I stole glances at him while he wasn't aware up until I finished eating my food.

I rested my head on my folded arms and watched as he finished his own food.

He placed his eating utensils after he finished and wiped the invisible food off of his mouth with a tissue. When he saw me staring at him, he raised his brows at me, as if asking me what I needed.

"What aren't you good at? You're literally perfect" I stated without fully thinking.

"I'm not good at a lot of things."

"Like?"

"I'm not very good at keeping myself away from the person I like." He answered while avoiding my gaze.

"So you're not very good at keeping yourself away from me?" I joked, well kind of jokingly. I wanted to know whether he likes me, since he shows interest on me sometimes.

"Why wouldn't I like a good friend like you?"

"Liar. You like me more than a friend" I bluntly stated. I wasn't done with testing him. If I were to ask him, I might as well work in getting the answer. Sooyoung taught me that.

"What if I do? Would you confess to me or something?" He copied my smirk as he turned the interrogation table to his favor.

"Maybe" I answered before standing up to bring our plates to the dishwasher.

As I turned, he stood in front of me. He walked closer and I walked back within each step he took. After a few steps, I was cornered between him and the island counter.

Something fluttered and I wasn't familiar with the feeling even if I'm sure I felt it before.


Rather than his body, he drew his face closer to mine instead. His eyes fell to my lips before looking back to my own eyes. With the manly cologne he wore and the heat that his body emitted, I was drawn in to his spell of some sort. I slowly shut my eyes closed with his face only an inch away from mine.

I waited until I felt him wrap his arms around me, engulfing me in a hug. A slight part of me was disappointed, but another felt relieved. Why does this heart-racing moment ache?


"I like you, Jessica"He said, his lips moving upon my hair. He kissed my forehead softly before looking me in the eyes. "But someone out there really loves you"


He caressed my cheek before placing a kiss on the other, retracting his hand soon after. He smiled a small smile then headed out of my loft, leaving me alone just as he did in the car earlier.


Is this the love they told me that people strive for, the feeling I've yet to learn?


A/N: Happy New Year's or New Year's Eve depending on where you're from. It's only New Year's Eve here in CA, but I know some readers are from other places XD I hope you guys like this chapter and that it makes up for the loooong time I've been gone. Thank you for those reading this and the new subscribers and upvotes I received on my off-time from this fic. If you're read other fanfics of mine, I'll update those soon(like real soon this time...I'm just fixing a few things here and there)