Think About It

Forgotten Promise

"Sweetie, you sure you want to leave?" Donghae's mother stared at Donghae with worry in her eyes. She knew what her son was suffering, and she wanted to help in some way. Donghae smiled weakly and nodded his head.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Abeoji already got us our tickets, anyways," Donghae mentioned, holding up his ticket back to his hometown. Mr. Lee grunted as he started dragging Donghae's suitcase.

"Really, I don't know what you put in here. Clothes should be light, and a few small belongings should be enough. But this? It weighs a tone!" Mr. Lee complained, gripping the suitcase firmly with his old, fragile hands. Donghae picked up his suitcase from his father with ease and chuckled.

"Relax, Abeoji. I have more muscle than you, plus I'm younger," Donghae pointed out. Mr. Lee rolled his eyes and started walking ahead.

"Come on, let's go," Mr. Lee demanded. Mrs. Lee turned back to Donghae.

"Donghae, are you sure you don't want to stay? Just a bit longer?" Mrs. Lee asked, with a hint of pleading in her tone. Donghae sighed.

"Yes, Omonim. I'm sure. Now, let's go," Donghae urged. He walked passed his mother, but paused for a moment when his mother said, "You know, you'll never know if she'll remember or not."

Donghae stiffened. Then, he let out a bitter laugh. "Omonim…"

"The doctor said that it would be temporary, right?" Mrs. Lee asked, turning to face her son. "I didn't raise you to be a coward. Your father wouldn't approve this either if this event took place back at home."

"Omonim…"

"So what if the young girl forgets? Huh? Will it be the end of the world? No. You can always try. Remember what your father said? Try, try again. Plus…" Mrs. Lee took a deep breath and stared directly into her son's eyes seriously. "…I can tell that if the girl really loves you, she will struggle and fight herself to regain all the memories she would be able to collect."

Donghae kept silent, waiting for his mother to finish. After a few more minutes, Donghae opened his mouth. "Omonim, let's just go. I'll come back and visit another time."

"Your flight leaves in an hour," Mrs. Lee mentioned. "An hour is plenty of time to revisit your friend in the hospital."

Donghae scoffed in protest. "But–"

"If you're not going to visit your friend, you mind at least take a stroll for a while. I mean, what are you going to do for an hour, waiting for your flight? Think about it."

"Omonim, you're being insane. Let's just go." Donghae mumbled something under his breath and picked up his suitcase. He walked past his mother and headed towards his father. Mrs. Lee stared at his son disapprovingly.

"Donghae–"

"Drop it down, Omonim. Abeoji doesn't even care, either," Donghae pointed out. 

"He does. He just isn't good with…words."

"Well, nothing can change my mind about this. Her life is ruined and I ruined it."

"How do you know?"

"Are you two coming or not?" Mr. Lee grumbled as he almost glared at the two of them. Donghae blinked his eyes and caught up to his father quickly as Mrs. Lee stood in her place, crossing her arms.

"Sweetie, do something!" Mrs. Lee commanded.

Mr. Lee laughed. "Me? Do something? You know I hardly do anything–"

"Do something about that boy! I didn't raise him to be like this. You did."

"You know, this is ridiculous. C'mon, Abeoji." Donghae tugged on his father's sleeves, but his father didn't budge. Instead, the parents got into a tight quarrel, arguing about Donghae.

"You know he's doing the right thing! He's leaving for his family! Family comes first!" Mr. Lee protested.

"He came here for the girl. He found her. Is he going to leave her, dumbfounded in the hospital? He can't run away from what he caused. You even encouraged him to get the girl!" Mrs. Lee yelled. 

"So what? He's ditching a poor girl. Sad her. She's a hopeless, young lady who now has no life. Who cares? Our boy doesn't," Mr. Lee snapped. Donghae's heart ached as he continued to listen to Mr. Lee's harsh words.

It isn't like that, Donghae thought, holding back his guilt. It isn't like that. I didn't even ditch her. She's not hopeless. She's strong. She has a life. Even though she probably forgot her memories. I didn't leave her…Well, I wasn't planning to. She left me. Her memories are washed away. I…didn't…

"Ditch her…" whispered Donghae. Oh, who am I kidding? I did ditch her. I'm…such a horrible guy.

Donghae immediately dropped his suitcase, leaving a loud, thud! His parents looked up to find Donghae running out of the airport. Mrs. Lee looked shocked, as Mr. Lee made a scowling face.

"That stupid boy…" Mr. Lee paused when Mrs. Lee pecked Mr. Lee's cheek.

"I love it when you play along with me," Mrs. Lee replied sweetly. His lips tugged upwards a bit.

"C'mon, let's get ready. Our plane leaves in a minute!"