What Promise?

Forgotten Promise

Silence filled the air by this time. Nobody move. Nobody blinked. They breathed slowly, surprised that a new student had just done that the queenka. Yoona was entirely embarrassed. She remembered. She remembered Donghae when they were childhood. She bit her lips nervously, slowly creeping her hands on Donghae's chest. He has a body like a man, Yoona thought. Quickly, she pushed Donghae away from her. Donghae raised an eyebrow, confused.

"Wh… Yoona…" Donghae started, but Yoona interrupted him.

"Don't just hug me randomly!" Yoona yelled angrily, "It's embarrassing!" Donghae stared at Yoona with puppy eyes and pouted his lips. Yoona bit her lips. Don't Yoona! Don't say anything cute about Donghae! He's trying to get you to smile! Keep acting like you're angry! Yoona thought to herself, frowning.

"Mianhae, Yoona-ah," Donghae apologized. 

"Do you know him, Yoong?" Minho interrupted. Donghae smiled and wrapped his arm around Yoona. Minho hated that. He hated it when another man wraps his arm around his Yoona.

"Yup! We're childhood fr–" Donghae stopped as Yoona placed a hand over his mouth.

"Nothing! We have no clue of each other!" Yoona lied. Donghae narrowed his eyes. She turned to Donghae and glared at him. "You! Let's talk outside, privately." Yoona marched outside, dragging Donghae by the ear. Donghae's expression turned into pain, as he continued to say, "Ow, ow, ow, ow!"


Outside…

"Sit!" Yoona commanded. Donghae obeyed, as he sat on the bench. Donghae frowned. Never in his life has he seen Yoona this demanding and rude before. Why did she lie earlier anyways? Donghae wondered.

"I can't believe you came," Yoona scoffed. Donghae clenched his fist and narrowed his eyes.

"I promised that I would make you mine when we were younger, remember?" Donghae reminded. That memory was still clear and rememberable in Donghae's mind. It was a promise that Donghae had to complete. Yoona raised an eyebrow and crossed her arm.

"What promise?" Yoona asked, "We had no promise." Donghae widened his eyes, his heart shattering into little pieces.

"You… Don't remember?" Donghae said quietly. Yoona raised an eyebrow.

"Remember what? Look, if this is some kind of joke, leave. No one's going to tell you to stay or anything. Your body might've matured, but you still have a heart of a kid," Yoona sneered. Donghae felt pain stabbing his shattered heart. Yoona had changed a lot.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Donghae asked quietly.

"It means you shouldn't be here because you don't belong here. Really, Donghae, we're not children anymore. Life goes on. People forgot things back then," Yoona explained with a heaving sigh.

"Like you forgetting about my promise?" Donghae asked, naming an example. Yoona nodded.

"Like me forgetting about whatever you promised me," Yoona repeated. Donghae nervously pressed his lips together.

"Then can I tell you what my promise was?" Donghae asked slowly.

"Sure, whatever. I won't really care, though, since it's all in the past," Yoona yawned, examining her nails. Donghae cleared his throat, fumbling with his words a bit. He played with his fingers until he gathered up the courage to say what he needed to say.

"The promise," he started, "Was to make you… mine." Yoona stared at Donghae for a while. There isn't any reason why she shouldn't be surprised. She forgot, Donghae thought sadly. 

Suddenly, Yoona bursted into little giggles. Then, she started to laugh like a wild hyena. Donghae was shocked. He didn't expect Yoona to laugh at the promise. He expected her to apologize or be speechless. Yoona wiped her happy tears, and then smirked at Donghae.

"Donghae-ah," Yoona began, "You can't fulfill such a promise now." Donghae raised an eyebrow, confused.

"Why?" Donghae questioned. Yoona's smirk grew wider. She crossed her arm, still putting up with her smirk.

"Donghae… I already have a boyfriend."