Broken Pencil and Red Cheeks

Forgotten Promise

"Congratulation, Minho."

"What?" Minho blinked his eyes. "Congratulate me on what?"

He's probably congratulating me on my break-up with Yoona, Minho thought. He heaved a depressing sigh and shrugged. 

"You know…How Yoona wants you back after you broke up with her," Donghae explained. Minho raised an eyebrow.

Yoona still loves me? "Donghae, I really think that–"

"I know, you think that she hates you. Well, she doesn't. You shouldn't have broken up with Yoona. You should've–"

"Hey, Donghae, let me talk–"

"I understand, Minho! I should give up on Yoona and–"

"Dude…"

"–I promise that I'll help you get back with Yoona so that you guys can be happy. I'm sure that you two just fought and were being stubborn and–"

"DONGHAE! Will you please shut up and listen!?" Minho screamed. Donghae was alarmed as he stared at Minho in shock. 

"But…"

"Donghae, Yoona broke up with me and we agreed that we should break up!" Minho explained. "We're over! End, cut, divorce, you know, whatever! We're never going to get back together! If someone has to congratulate someone, it should be me congratulating you."

Donghae blinked. "W-What do you mean?"

"I mean that Yoona and I…Never mind! You'll never understand," Minho muttered. "You're too stupid for love, anyways."

At this point, Donghae felt hurt. He bit his lips and stared down at his shoes. "Yeah, I guess I am just too stupid for love. Maybe I should really give up."

"You should and–Wait, what?" Minho stopped blabbering and stared at Donghae with wide eyes. "You can't give up on Yoona yet, Donghae! I was just kidding!"

Donghae sighed. "Well why shouldn't I? I have no point. It's…tiring."

Minho dropped his mouth wide open. "Tiring?! You think love is tiring?"

"Yeah. You're not the one trying to grab someone's attention. You're not the one trying to let someone remember an old memory. You're not the one who got his first kiss stolen by someone he doesn't love. You're not the one who–"

"Okay, okay, I get it!" Minho interrupted. He rolled his eyes and scratched his head. "Aish…"

Ring~!

The bell chimed as students immediately rushed to class. Donghae patted Minho's back and forced a smile. "See you later, Minho."

Minho just nodded his head until he saw Yuri skipping happily next to Donghae. She caught his eyes for a moment, but then quickly looked away. She smiled brightly at Donghae and grabbed his arms.

"Donghae oppa!" Yuri greeted. "We have class together, right?"

Donghae forced a weak smile. "Yeah…"

"Well? What are we waiting for? Let's go!" Yuri exclaimed. She dragged Donghae to their next class, as Minho stared at the two enviously. He had a sour, rock-hard expression when he saw the two walking away. His eyes were always on Yuri, and he could sense that she felt the pressure. 

I know you're just forcing yourself to love Donghae, Yuri, Minho thought. He noticed that almost everyone was gone, but he didn't care. He slammed his locker shut, as a loud boom! echoed in the hallways. Because if you really loved Donghae, you could've still met my eyes, smile, and say hi.


"And so, we're going to go to lesson blah, blah, blah, blah…" The teacher drifted on with her lesson, as only a section of the class listened. The rest either ignored the teacher or passed notes. Yoona's eyes constantly rolled off to where Donghae was sitting. He seemed annoyed and uncomfortable as Yuri tried to flirt with him. Yoona bit her lips as she saw Yuri lean closer to Donghae's face. She gripped on her pencil so tightly, that a small snap! was heard. The teacher turned around and stared at Yoona's broken pencil. Yoona looked down at her notes in embarrassment, covering her face with her long, smooth hair.

"Yoona, is there something wrong?" the teacher asked aloud. Yoona looked up and shook her head. She gave the teacher one of her best smiles and quickly hid the pencil so that Donghae wouldn't be able to see.

"Nothing is wrong," she replied. The teacher stared at Yoona once more, and then nodded. Then, the teacher went back to her lesson, talking and teaching about another boring history subject. She heaved a steady and quiet sigh. She glanced once more to where Donghae was sitting. Donghae was still staring at Yoona, and Yuri was frowning. Quickly, Yoona looked back at the boar and covered her face a bit with her hair. She knew that her cheeks were probably tomato red, and felt them heating up. She felt the palm of her hands get sweater as she wiped them onto her jeans. She prayed and hoped that Donghae didn't see her red cheeks and broken pencil.

But he saw Yoona's red cheeks, and how jealously Yoona broke her pencil.