Hanging On

Forgotten Promise

Yoona slowly entered Donghae's room, stunned from what she had heard earlier. She thought that whatever Donghae's parents were talking about were nonsense, but the more she tried to convince herself, the more realistic it sounded.

"Yoona, you okay?" Donghae asked tiredly. Just seeing Yoona made him worn out. It wasn't like he was sick of seeing the same girl he loved over and over again. He loved seeing Yoona so much, his heart would race faster than a horse. It was just that he was trying so hard to cover up how sick he felt, his smiling face was wearing him out.

Yoona looked up and forced a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. No problem. Nothing to worry about!"

As Yoona handed Donghae a fork, Donghae raised an eyebrow. "You don't seem okay…"

"I'm fine," Yoona said, trying to convince Donghae that she was okay. 

"But–"

"Just eat your cake. It's best for you to sleep sooner or later."

"Yoona, just tell me what's wrong. I'll help you or even possibly clear up something you've heard," Donghae whispered. He was beginning to worry that some kind of rumor was being spread about him hating–or possibly giving up on–Yoona. Yoona kept quiet for a moment, wondering if she should tell Donghae about what she heard. She hesitated for a moment, but pushed herself to say the words she needed to say.

"Is it true that you'r leaving?" Yoona blurted. Donghae looked shocked.

"What do you mean? I'm never leaving!"

"Like, are you going to your parents?" Yoona asked quietly, shifting her body uncomfortably. Just thinking about the subject made her want to cry, but she refused to let her tears out. Donghae pressed his lips into a thin line, wondering what his answer should be.

"Yeah, that's what my parents want," Donghae replied softly. Yoona felt her heart break into a million pieces, as Donghae continued, "Abeoji doesn't want me to wander around, and Omonim wants me to come back just because I got sick and I'm not eating well."

"W-What do you mean you're not eating well?" Yoona asked, looking up at Donghae with watery eyes.

"The truth is, I'm trying to find a job, but I can't. Either the stores are too poor to pay me a good amount of money, or their's no space for anymore employees," Donghae confessed, sighing. Yoona's eyes widened. 

"What about the cake shop?" Yoona suggested.

"I worked there for a day, but then I was caught taking a sample of their product," Donghae laughed.

"What? You stole something?"

"Not exactly. I ate a crumb of chocolate cake, and I got fired for that," Donghae chuckled bitterly, looking away from Yoona with shame. Yoona stared at Donghae sympathetically. If she had cared about Donghae earlier, she could've helped him find a job.

"But are you going to leave sooner or later?" Yoona asked worriedly. Donghae smiled softly and wiped a tear that was trickling down Yoona's cheek. She, herself, didn't notice the tear.

"I'm hanging on to you, trying to stall sometime," Donghae said tenderly, "but I'm going to ask you to remember quicker."

"B-But what if I don't remember?" Yoona asked, wiping her tears with her sleeves. "What if I don't remember anything and you leave?"

"You'll remember," Donghae mumbled, Yoona's long, smooth hair. "I trust you. I have faith in you."

"But what if your faith isn't enough?" Yoona questioned. "What if you lose your memories? Then what–"

Before Yoona got to say a word, Donghae put a finger on her lips. "Then can I trust you to help me bring my memories back if I lose them?"

Yoona shook her head, being stubborn like a child. Donghae sighed and ran his fingers over his hair. His forehead was burning, and he felt that his brain was slamming against his head, begging to get out. He groaned in pain, showing how ill he was. Yoona's eyes widened as Donghae saw two Yoona…No wait, three Yoona…Four Yoona?

"D-Donghae oppa!" Yoona stuttered. Before he heard Yoona say another word, darkness blinded his eyes.


When Donghae woke up, he didn't see Yoona next to him. Instead, he saw an uneaten strawberry shortcake and his chocolate cake on the table. There was a note folded neatly into squares on the strawberry cake. He slowly sat up, trying to balance himself. 

You fainted, and I didn't know what to do so I called your parents up. They said that I should leave and that they'll take care of you. Feel better Oppa!
-Yoona

Donghae couldn't help but smile at Yoona's note. His smile especially widened as he opened a small drawer from the table next to him. In that drawer, there were tons of papers folded neatly into squares. He dropped the note he just received from Yoona and closed his drawer.

She's so close to remembering, Donghae thought. I can feel it.