To Let Go

Forgotten Promise

Yuri pressed her lips together in a thin line. I shouldn't be here. I should be with Donghae oppa right now, confessing my feelings for him once more. But why am I here?

"Did you here?" one girl with soft, brown hair asked. The other girl with black, short hair frowned upon the brown-haired girl's question.

"What do you mean?"

"About Minho!" the first girl whispered. Yuri's ears perked up. She started to think about Minho, but then quickly shook her head. She reminded herself that she wasn't supposed to think about that jerk anymore. She tried to focus on how she would confess to Donghae, but her curiosity drifted to what the two girls were gossiping about.

"What happened to him?" the second girl asked with a worried face.

"During soccer, I guess Minho collapsed or something."

"Wasn't he sick, though? Why did he come to school, anyways?"

"I don't know. He would just smile like a fool and say, 'I wanted to see someone today.' Sheesh, if he has such a high fever, he should at least stay home before the rest of us catches it."

"Well, c'mon. I don't want to be late for lunch." The two girls skipped away, as Yuri stared at the lunch box she had made especially for Donghae. Why was it that she couldn't get Minho out of her head?

"Oh yeah, that's why I'm here," Yuri mumbled. She was about to open the door until someone else opened the door. Yuri gasped and looked up to see Yoona, who had a blank expression. Yoona looked up, and stared at Yuri, surprised.

"Yuri, what are you doing here?" Yoona asked curiously.

"I was about to ask you the same," Yuri said bitterly.

"I'm trying to find Donghae. Heechul said that he would be at the back of the school, but I didn't see him," Yoona replied, sighing. Yuri's eyes widened, wondering if Heechul knew about the secret note. She kept quiet, as she awkwardly smiled back.

"O-Oh," Yuri stuttered. "I…I didn't see him today at all. He might've, uh, gone home or something…"

"I'm going to take 'or something,'" Yoona muttered. "So what's up? Why are you here?"

Yuri shyly covered her face with her hair. She quickly mumbled, "To see Minho."

"Excuse me, what?" Yoona asked, frowning. Yuri took a deep breath, as her cheeks turned into a bright shade of red.

"I–I'm here to just check up on how Minho's doing," Yuri replied bravely. Yoona studied Yuri's face, and then smiled softly. She patted Yuri's shoulder, as if they were best friends.

"Take care of Minho oppa, alright?" Yoona said. Yuri stared at her strangely, as Yoona walked passed by Yuri. Before she walked passed Yuri, though, Yoona managed to whisper, "And I'm sorry about the past."

Yoona quickly walked away from Yuri before she could say a word. Yuri turned around quickly, wanting to talk to her old friend some more. However, Yoona was gone. She bit her lips, and slowly turned back to the door.

I forgive you, Yuri thought, as she reached to touch the doorknob. And I…guess that I can let go of Donghae.

Her heart flooded with relief the moment she said that she would let go of Donghae. She didn't know why. It felt…refreshing. It felt right. It felt normal to not love Donghae. As if he didn't belong to her at all.

With a smile, Yuri twisted the doorknob, and opened it. A bright light almost blinded her eyes, but she held her head up high. The light revealed a sporty boy on one of the uncomfortable beds, sleeping soundly like a baby. Yuri's eyes softened, as she walked up to Minho. She glanced at the lunch box she made for Donghae, and then back at Minho. Silently, she put the lunch box on a table besides Minho. She stared at Minho's handsome face, and then blushed.

"Get well," Yuri whispered. She looked around, noticing that the nurse wasn't here. After a moment, she walked away, closing the door behind her.

Little did she know, that when she left, the corner of Minho's lips tugged upwards.