Jealousy

Forgotten Promise

"Oh, so now you feel like eating your cake."

"I-I…I'm not on the diet anymore," Yoona lied, poking into her strawberry shortcake. Donghae rolled his eyes as he stuffed his mouth with his beautiful sliced chocolate cake. Yoona blushed as she ate a small piece of cake. She was, of course, still on her diet, but since Donghae was with her, she felt like she just wanted to eat with him. 

"Oh really? You're not on your diet?" Donghae asked. Yoona immediately nodded her head. "Then why didn't you eat your lunch?"

Yoona bit her lips. "I…I wasn't hungry."

The truth was, Yoona was so excited to eat with Donghae after school, she didn't want to stuff her belly with her own lunch. She wanted to eat cake with Donghae, even if that meant starving to death during class. Donghae laughed as he wiped his mouth with the fancy napkins. The cake shop was quiet and deserted. It was only Yoona and Donghae, a few other people, and the workers.

"Strange," Donghae mumbled. He remembered that last time he had visited the cake shop, it was packed with people. However, now the cake shop was barely filled with customers. A waitress came up to Donghae and smiled warmly at him.

"More tea?" she asked.

"Yep," Donghae said, nodding his head. "Hey, Sunye, where is everyone?"

Sunye, the waitress who was pouring tea in Donghae's tea cup, heaved a sigh. "Oh, business isn't doing well. How's your relationship going with the girl you keep talking about? Does she remember?"

Yoona stared at Donghae questionably. Donghae talks about me?

Donghae blushed as he sipped some tea. "Not well like this shop. Funny, though. It's like my life is affecting this shop."

"Or as if the shop is affecting your life," Sunye joked. Sunye and Donghae laughed as the two began to chat freely as if they were close friends. Yoona pouted sadly as she stared at her strawberry shortcake. She continued to play with a crumb, constantly glancing at Donghae. Her heart raced when she saw Donghae's smile, but immediately turned to pain when she heard Sunye's voice. She felt like she was being ignored by Donghae.

After a few minutes, Sunye finally noticed Yoona. "Oh, who's this young lady?" 

Donghae stared at Yoona. "Oh, her name is Im Yoona. Yoona, this is Sunye. She keeps me company whenever I eat here."

"Hi, I'm Sunye," Sunye said sweetly, sticking out a hand. "Let's be friends!"

"Sure," Yoona replied coldly, ignoring Sunye's hand. Donghae stared at Yoona in shock as Sunye frowned. She put her hand back to her side.

"Well, nice friend you got there, Donghae," Sunye grumbled.

"She's not usually like this," Donghae assured. Yoona pretended to glance at her watch. She gasped and got up.

"Omo!" Yoona exclaimed. "Donghae, I have to go and see Minho!"

"But it's only been…ten minutes," Donghae started, but Yoona ignored him. She quickly grabbed her bag and ran out of the cake shop. Donghae finished his cake and tea and left the bill on the table. He thanked Sunye for the meal and ran out to follow Yoona. "Wait up, Yoona!"

Hearing Donghae's voice, Yoona fastened her pace. She began to walk faster and faster, pretending that she did not hear Donghae screaming her name in the street. Finally, Donghae caught up with Yoona and grabbed her wrist. Yoona glared at Donghae and struggled to get out of Donghae's grasp.

"Let go, Donghae oppa!" Yoona snapped. Donghae panted for a few minutes, and then caught his breath.

"You…were jealous, right?" Donghae panted. Yoona's eyes widened. Then, she scoffed and laughed aloud.

"Mwoh? Jealous? Go and talk with Sun-who-ever-she-was," Yoona hissed.

Donghae gripped on Yoona's wrist tighter. "Just admit you were jealous! You were really jealous, right?"

"Why would I be jealous? I have Minho oppa as my boyfriend," Yoona blurted. Though she didn't mean what she said, Donghae immediately let go. Disappointment was written all over his face.

"Oh yeah. I forgot," Donghae mumbled. 

Darn it, Yoona! Why'd you say such a thing to Donghae? Now you've hurt him, Yoona thought, scolding herself. Silence filled in their conversation, as both looked away. Soon, Yoona spoke.

"I…I got to go and see Minho oppa. He's probably waiting for me," Yoona said quickly. She immediately ran away from Donghae, leaving him dumbfounded. 


Ding dong!

Yoona patiently waited in front of the door for Minho to answer. Not only was she visiting Minho just because he was "sick," but because she wanted to discuss something very important.

Do I really want this? Yoona wondered. Suddenly, Minho swung the door opened. He looked happy, but at the same time confused and upset. Yoona bit her bottom lips.

"Oh, hey Yoona," Minho greeted cooly.

"Hi Minho oppa," Yoona whispered. "Can I come in?"

Minho glanced behind Yoona, as if he expected someone else to come. He sighed and weakly nodded his head. "Yeah, come in."

Yoona took a step in the house as Minho closed the door behind her. She heaved a nervous sigh and placed a plastic bag on the kitchen counter. She took out some cake she had saved for Minho. 

"Here. Even though it's not the healthiest thing to eat when you're sick, I still want you to eat this. It'll make you feel better," Yoona explained, handing him a plastic fork. Minho smiled as he poked the sharp edges of the fork against the pink cake.

"Thanks, Yoona," he said, taking a huge bite. He glanced at Yoona, realizing that she was still standing instead of sitting down. "Sit down, Yoona. There is plenty of space."

"I shouldn't," Yoona said. "I'm going to leave soon."

For good.

Minho stared at her. "Why? You just came."

"I know, but I only came to give you the cake and tell you something," Yoona said quietly.

"Speak."

Yoona took a huge deep breath. She felt the atmosphere getting tense at every movement of her lips. She her dry lips and wiped her sweaty hands. Then, she spoke in a loud, clear, but soft voice, "Minho oppa, do you want to break up?"