Inbetween

Summer Interpreter

I was sitting alone in the room. Boys rooms were directly next to mine and I could feel them giggling and playing around. We supposed to start schedule at 5am, when they would have a rehearsal then interview and we supposed to visit sick children in hospital.

There was a knock on the door, I got shocked when I realized it was Kris.

  • Something happened? – I asked.
  • Listen… Maybe I was to harsh on you – he walked in and started to talk nervously.

I felt a bit bad for the fact that not so long ago I was kissing Suho and now Kris was apologizing to me. But at the end me and Suho decided to keep distance.

  • It’s ok – I lied.

Kris crossed the room and sat down on a bed.

  • I just don’t want anything to be too complicated. It’s hard enough when we all live together. Now when you are in the picture it will only get messy.
  • I know Kris…
  • Do you have feelings for any of them?  - he asked bluntly. When I didn’t respond he just continued. – You like Suho don’t you?

A sigh escaped his lips and his eyes got concerned.

  • Kris – I said sitting next to him – whatever I feel is not important. I am fully aware that in two weeks this summer will be over for me. It will also mark the day when I will say goodbye to all of you.
  • Time flies fast right? – he looked into my eyes. He looked vulnerable. - if you like Suho then let go of Luhan. I think anyway that Luhan hyung likes you because you are so much like her.
  • Like who? – I asked curiously.
  • The girl he left behind. When he decided to focus on his dream he left his girlfriend in China. I think he mentioned she is getting engaged soon.  So please be gentle on them. Don’t play around. I know managers cannot know anything so If you want to be with Suho keep it a secret.

Sudden change in him confused me. He was looking at me and his hand was raised like he wanted to touch me. I could see how concerned he was about Exo members. They were like family to him.

  • Kris I… - I started but his finger landed on my lips to quiet me down.  – I can promise I won’t get angry but I will try to control it.

With that he got up and left e totally shocked in my room. I lied down on bed thinking what just happened. Then Suho and out kiss started to float in my mind. Before I knew that I drifted off to sleep.

  • Noona get up we have schedule – It was Sehun, shaking me.
  • Sehunah, what are you doing here? – I asked not opening the eyes.
  • You will be late. Kris asked me to make sure you will be up. He said last night not to disturb you because you feel unwell.
  • Did he – I questioned.
  • Yep. Anyway we leaving in half an hour. I am going to finish dressing.

I looked at the clock it was just after 4am. It was good there was a summertime so at least there was some sort of light outside.

I greeted younger manager when I was ready and we got into the van. I could take space next to Suho but something told me I should try to keep the distance how we promised. Kris sat down not meeting my eyes and I took place next to him.

  • Morning – he said like nothing happened.
  • Morning I replied.
  • Why you two always speak in English  - Luhan pouted.
  • Because they can – added Xiumin.

We at rest of the ride quietly, most of the boys dozing off. I caught Suho looking at me from time to time and I wasn’t sure how I felt about it.

Schedule started as usual. Boys were running around, working their hardest, trying to make sure every move was perfect. From time to time each of them would come over to either ask if im ok or just wanting some help with translation towards technical staff. I was glad that Italian people had no problem with speaking English or Spanish which made my job easy and quite simple.

I would stare at the boys for most of the day. During interview I would stay nicely behind to ensure they can answer all questions.

True was that most of the staff around us thought I was rather their manager or assistant manager than interpreter since I often found myself taking care of like for kids. I made sure they had water, food, fruits. I checked if clothes were ok and make up, even so I wasn’t stylist at all. They asked me about it all, so I was honest. Even Baekhyun came to me asking if he should have an eyeliner, since everyone always teases him for that. So I kindly spoken to the make up artist and ask her if she can change his concept bit for tonight.

Even manager at some point came to me saying I am doing actually good job while looking after them. It made me smile.

As usual boys had showers at the hotel and we headed for the concert venue. It was around two hours still but in front was loads of people. As soon as van stopped all girls who have been at the end of cue run towards us, since they didn’t care about places. That was when it happened. I kind of lost it. I got so scared I thought I will not be able to go out of car. Luhan left first. Suho looked at me and tried to convince me that I will be ok but then he was hurried by a manger. Xiumin got my hand and smiled at me assuring I will be fine. I was still a bit stiff when I noticed that Kris stood in front of van and waited. He was looking at me with his “hurry up “eyes. But he didn’t seem angry.

  • Guys can you distract fans a bit? – I heard.

Then he came in and pulled my second hand taking me out from the van.

  • You will be ok, we are all here – he whispered in my eear, before he mentioned to Xiumin and Suho to take me in. I didn’t really know what was going on around. I concentrated on breathing and fact that Suho protective hand was around me, while Xiumin dragged me behind him to the building.

As soon as we were in I sat down.

  • Are you ok- Suho looked into my eyes checking if I am fine.

Within seconds Luhan was also on my side patting my back.

  • I am ok guys, really.

I wasn’t fine. I lied. How could I be fine if I panicked? Ho can I work with them if im scared of their fans? Also I was feeling rather big guilt towards Luhan. I should be honest with him should I? But thinking about it, recently Luhan even so he promised to fight for me, was in distance. I guess he had some problems I didn’t know about.

I collected myself before manager noticed that I am being weird and we started preparation for the concert. Then as lights went off and music started I drifted away into the dreamland of perfect voices. During one song Suho looked at me, with his ever so concerned eyes and I wwasn’t sure If I will be able to stay away from him any longer. Could I afford to risk it all just for two weeks of happiness?  But then my eyes drifted towards the taller man, towards guy, who was a mystery for me. Why was he always there when I needed someone?