Goodbye Dad

My heart! Whats wrong??!

Changjo's POV


         I thought I would be able to see him again after the mere few years in prison. Little did I know that that fateful day would be last time I see him. My mother is gone. He was the one who filled the emptiness of not having a mother. People mocked me for not having a mother but I never felt that I lacked one. He may seem like the heartless kind. A man who would never treat his child well. A man who would not act as a father. All those accusations about him were baseless. He was not all those stated but he was a caring man. He rarely cooked for me but when he did, I greatly appreciated it. I know how hard it is to cook. The burning hot oil splattering all over, the precise amount of flavour. Cooking required effort. That day, I saw him for the last time.

 

Flashback

        I just got back from school. I couldn't focus at all! Dad was in my mind all the while. I wanted to stay with my dad round the clock but he insisted on me going to school. Who knew a gang leader was so selfless. People fail to see the other side of him but I know him so well. He said that as long as I knew the other side of him, it would be enough. The ward Dad was in had a tight security as he is a prisoner but I was allowed the special previlage of visiting him as he was too sickly. I entered the ward Dad was in. I peeked my head in to see what he was doing. Then I put my whole body in and presented myself with open arms.


        "Dad. Changjo here. I just came back from school. I kept my promise." I smiled slightly. I wanted to hide my grieve. It hurts me to see Dad with all those tubes around him. 


         I walked over to him as I saw him nodding his head in approval. He didn't have the strength to speak anymore. My heart clenched in pain.It pains me to see him like this. I took a seat beside him. 
         "Are you feeling better today?" 

         He shook his head slightly and slowly. How could he be so honest? Was he that sure that he won't get any better?

         "Aish. With all the medication, you should be getting better. Ohh I know! You didn't eat much did you?" I laughed a bit. That was so fake. I'm sure he noticed as I saw him staring at me with gentle eyes. His wrinkled face looked so solemn. All of a sudden, he removed his oxygen mask and began stuttering words out. 


        "Ch- Changjo. Ta-ke c-care of your-self. T-this is m-my punishment for all t-he b-bad things I've done. I-I'm so-sorry" 
         "Dad put your oxygen mask back on!" I cried. I tried putting it back on but he resisted.
         "H-Help me apo-lo-gise to t-that fa-mily."
          "I beg you put it back on!" I almost screamed in desperation. 
           He was starting to have difficulty breathing but he still continued.
          "I don't wa-nt you to c-c-continue the busi-ness. T-This must stop."
           He suddenly clutched onto his shirt. I panicked and ran out for the doctor.
           "Doctor! Somebody help! There's something wrong with my father! Please!" 


           The doctor ran in before me. I was told to wait aside first. After doing some checks on my father which took forever, the doctor came up to me with heavy steps. I realised that something was wrong. 


           "Whats wrong? Is my father ok?" I asked impatiently. 
            "I'm sorry but-" I didn't wait for him to finish his sentence. I ran to my father's side. 
             The nurses gave way and I saw that he was lying there. The oxygen mask off, the tube that was inserted deep into his skin, it was no longer there. He lied there
lifeless. I fell on my knees as they found no more strength to hold me up. I grabbed onto my father's arm. It still felt warm. I scoffed, unable to believe my eyes. My father must be joking around. Maybe he did feel better and decided to make me laugh, thats all.

           "Wake up dad. See I'm laughing. You can drop the act now." I laughed heartily although it was all fake. I sincerely wanted to believe it. 


            I shook him again. No response. "Come on wake up already! Its not funny anymore!" I screamed. 


            The nurses tried pulling me up, the doctor telling me that he's gone. I resisted them and pulled myself away from them. "No! Its just a joke! Really!" 


            "Changjo! Believe it or not. He's gone!" The doctor was almost losing his patience with me. 


            One of the nurses pulled the blanket on my dad upwards, covering his face. No! Please no! Dad wake up! Show us you're joking! 

            He didn't move a muscle. Thats when I realised the harsh reality. He's really gone. A stream of water flowed from my eyes as I sat on the floor. Tears ran down uncontrollably. I rubbed my face with my hands. 
           I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked up to see a nurse. She smiled sweetly and said, "When someone's gone, he will never come back but the living ones have a long way to go. You can mourn but remember, you have to carry on living for your father and yourself. He stays alive in you." 


          I pondered upon her words. Its true. Dad you will always stay alive in me. The nurse stayed and helped me up as she waited for me to get my thoughts straight. She held onto my arm and slowly led me out of the ward. She brought me to the chairs installed in the hallway. I sat down and looked at the floor. This was still too sudden for me. 


          "Nurse Eunjung! Lets go! We still have other patients to check up on."
           "Yes Dr. Woo. I'll be there." 
          So this compassionate nurse's name is Eunjung. 
            "Changjo right? Keep what I said in mind. Now will you be alright?" Nurse Eunjung asked. I nodded, my eyes still fixed onto the floor. She smiled for the last time and left. 
             Now I'm really alone. I have nobody. Literally
nobody. Our relatives have deserted us. Who do I have for support? Nobody. 


  End of flashback


              I walked home slowly. Home. What is home without the person you love so dearly? I'll be alone in that big old house. I want to move out so that it won't feel too lonely but sweet memories are in it. Memories of me and my father.