That playful 'kiddo'

My heart! Whats wrong??!

         The sun's rays shone through the glass window of Kevin's bedroom invading Eunjung's closed eyes. She awoke and rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand. Her head hurt from the hangover. When realisation hit her, her eyes widened to the size of a coin. She looked around to confirm that she was not in her room. Eunjung looked under the blanket to check if 'something' was off. She breathed out in relief to see that everything was in place but she wanted to know whose house she was in. Eunjung stepped out of the room stealthily. She saw someone lying on the couch. So she ducked behind the bedroom door in case the person was 'dangerous'. Seeing that the person was still down on the couch, she tried tip-toeing out the door. He stirred and she panicked. Eunjung ran for the door and got out. 


         "Pheww. That was close." She said to herself out loud. When she was about to take a step forward, she realised that her arms were light. She had forgotten to bring her bag. [What a bummer


           Eunjung had no choice but to go back. Obviously she couldn't open the door by herself but she tried anyway. She held onto the handle and pushed and pulled on it. She gave up and reluctantly knocked on the door. The door opened shortly after. She was surprised to see Dr. Woo standing at the door. 


         Dr. Woo looked surprised himself. He turned to look at his room then back at Eunjung. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in my room..-" He paused, " did you try to run away without me knowing?" He raised his eyebrows. 
       Eunjung gave a silly lopsided smile and explained to him. "Seriously?! Didn't you see the person's face on the way out?" Dr. Woo, amused. To him it was certainly unbelievable that she didn't notice the person's face who was just lying around there. Eunjung replied, "Which person would stop to look at her surroundings when she was afraid that she had been '' or 'abused' " with the last few words said out in a hushed tone. 


       Dr. Woo threw back his head and laughed. "You're a funny one" he said while pointing at her, shaking his index finger. Eunjung widened her eyes and smacked him on his shoulder. "How could you take that as a joke? Its so not funny okay." She then folded her arms and looked away. 
       "Ok, ok. Sorry alright? Come in and get your stuff." Dr. Woo said. Eunjung turned back to look at him and headed in but he playfully closed the door causing Eunjung to bang her head on the door. "Yah! Its painful!" She cried while rubbing on her forehead. Dr. Woo opened the door slightly and peeked out at her, feeling guilty. "Open that freaking door now and help me!" Eunjung almost screamed. She was now on the floor. 
      Dr. Woo went out and bent down to help her up but Eunjung had other plans. She pulled him down instead. He fell on his back and groaned. "Oww. My back hurts. I have a history of back injury you know." Eunjung's eyes widened. This could be serious! She went over to him, kneeling beside him. 


       "Hey are you serious? Can you move? Try standing." Eunjung's inner nurse emerged. She held his hand and tried helping him up. Dr. Woo payed her back in her own coins and pulled her down as well. Eunjung was surprised and fell on top of Dr. Woo. Their faces were just a few centimeters apart. Both of them just looked at each other, shocked. Eunjung blushed red and so did Dr. Woo. Then they heard someone clearing . They moved apart, both of them standing up. "Please don't do such obscene things here. Its very inappropriate. Understand?" A middle-aged lady said and walked away slowly. 


     "We're very sorry. It was an accident though." Eunjung explained and bowed down for a moment. Dr. Woo followed suit with the bowing. The lady merely responded with an "hmm" without turning back. 
         They turned to face each other. Dr. Woo rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly while Eunjung looked down, blushing. Breaking the silence Eunjung said, "Omg! Dr. Woo! Aren't we supposed to be at work now?" Dr. Woo looked annoyed, "I told you to call me Kevin when off work didn't I?" Eunjung looked confused. She didn't remember anything about that. Looking at her, "Well maybe you couldn't remember because you were drunk that time." 


          "Lets go and get ready then. For work." Kevin said looking at his watch. It was still early actually. They had plenty of time to get ready but he didn't want to tell Eunjung. "Come inside. This time its for real." Kevin assured her. Eunjung nodded slowly, unsure whether he was really telling the truth or lying again. She followed him in this time and he wasn't lying. 


          "Eunjung-ah, I'll get ready in my room. You can use the toilet in the other room." Kevin said. 
          "But I don't have a new set of clothing..." Eunjung pouted. She didn't want to go to work wearing the same clothing as the day before. Her workmates' thoughts would run wild if they saw her wearing the same things. She would be the center of gossip for them. That horrified her. 


         She snapped back to reality when Kevin said, "I think I have my sister's clothing here. You can borrow them. I'll go get some for you." Kevin smiled as he went into the other room. 


          Eunjung nodded and followed him into the room. She sat on the bed as she waited for him to pick some clothings. She wondered out loud, "Where is your sister then? Her clothes are here but I don't see the person." 
           Kevin turned to face Eunjung, "She went overseas for a holiday with her friends." He then turned towards the wardrobe and searched for a set of comfortable clothings. 


           "Whats your sister's name?" Eunjung probed further. 
           "Jenn Woo." He simply replied and handed Eunjung the clothes he picked. 
           "Both of you have English names. You guys are from the States right?" Eunjung asked while taking a look at the clothes given to her. 
           "Yup. Now go and freshen up. I'll go to my room." Kevin smiled and nodded. 
---
            Kevin was ready and waiting on the couch, watching television. He was wearing a simple white collared shirt with cropped pants which were light brown. His brown hair was combed neatly. He sat there, his right leg crossed over his left.


           Eunjung on the other hand was still getting ready. She glanced at the outfit she was wearing: a dark blue blouse with big ruffles on the neck and arms. A pair of bell-bottomed black pants. Does this suit me? She turned her body from side to side, looking hard at the mirror. Oh what the heck I'll just wear it and act like nothing's wrong. Eunjung got out of the room and plopped herself next to Kevin. Kevin looked at her and stifled a laugh. 


       "Yah! What are you laughing at? Your sister's clothes are just way too weird for me! Or did you purposely choose these? Thats it! I'm gonna look into her wardrobe and choose 'appropriate' clothes!" Eunjung threw her hands up in the air and stood to go back into the room.

 

Kevin's POV
    Oh my freaking gosh! She really looks funny in that mismatch! I love myself for this! I should have taken a picture before she went to change again. Sheesh..

 

Back to Author's POV
       Eunjung slammed open the sliding wardrobe and looked through the clothings impatiently. She took deep breaths and calmed down. I never knew he was this childish..He always looked so...matured at work. Looks like it was just for show. Eunjung smirked to herself and picked a printed t-shirt. This time the shirt looked much better. It didn't look like it was for a circus. She then put back on the pair of tight-fitting white pants she had worn the night before. She went to grab her bag from Kevin's room. The finished look: Her short hair was neatly tied into a small ponytail with her fringe let down. The black, fitted t-shirt with colourful floral prints on the front was tucked into her white pants. She slung her green sling bag on her right shoulder. 


         Satisfied, Eunjung stood in front of Kevin and said, "Are we going already or what?" She folded her arms and leaned her weight onto one side. 
         Kevin looked at her and smiled, "You looked better earlier on." He stifled another laugh. 
         Eunjung smacked him on the shoulder and walked over to the door. Kevin turned off the television and followed her from behind. 

---
        In the car, Kevin asked, "Isn't that outfit too casual for work?" 
       "Nobody cares. We nurses need to change into our uniforms after all so why does it matter?" Eunjung shrugged her shoulders. 
        "Ahhh. That does makes sense. I didn't think of that." Kevin smiled and glanced at Eunjung for a while before looking to the front again. Eunjung nodded and tapped on her head, "Its all in the brain." 


        Eunjung suddenly thought of something. "Hey, Kevin. I think you should drop me further from the hospital. People will gossip about us. They would think that we're together or something.." 
        "Nevermind. I could say that we met on the way and I offered you a ride." He simply said. 
         Eunjung rolled her eyes, "Do you think they're that stupid? We've been working here for years and you've never. Let me repeat, never, given me a ride to work before. It might seem awkward now you see!" 
        "You really do think a lot don't you? Fine I'll drop you off here. Its quite close to the hospital. You sure about walking?" Kevin asked. He looked genuinely concerned. 
          "Yup. Its broad daylight. Nothing could possibly happen right?" Eunjung said unbuckling her seatbelt. She opened the door and waved to Kevin. "See you later!" 
---
        Eunjung walked the remaining the journey to the hospital. Her phone rang. It was Ji Mi. She picked it up. 
        "What?" Eunjung answered.
        "Hey thats no way to answer a call.. Anyway, are you over...AJ?" 
           "I think so. Why?"
        "I want to set you up on a date! You know the guy I told you about? The guy we both know? Its him!" 
           "A date huh? Okay! I'll go! Who is he?" 
         "Its a surprise! The date's tonight! I'll text you the place!" 
           Then Ji Mi just ended the call. And she calls me rude. Eunjung scoffed and picked up her speed. Off to work!