Reminiscence

My heart! Whats wrong??!
     
     "Hyo-Jin you know what? Justice does exist in this world. Those men got locked up behind bars." Yu Bin smiled while talking to Hyo-Jin.
       Hyo-Jin had survived the ordeal but behind the blessing, there was a price to pay. Hyo-Jin was only able to lie on the bed, trapped in deep sleep. In other words, she was in coma.
 
      " It turns out that AJ, the guy whom I think you have fallen for was an undercover policeman. Now, i definitely approve of you liking him. He comes to visit you everyday without fail. Even i'm touched by his sincerity. So won't you wake up? Hmm?" Yu Bin said, forcing a smile. It hurt her so much to see her beloved sister lying there motionless. It hurt her so, so much to talk to her without earning a reply, not even a movement.
 
          There was a knock on the door to the ward. AJ popped his head in and entered with a handful of white roses. He gave a smile to Yu Bin, revealing his dimples. He sat on the opposite side of Yu Bin and replaced the dried flowers in the vase with the white roses he had just bought. Yu Bin packed her things and prepared to leave for work. 
 
       "AJ I have to leave now. My grandma will be here in the afternoon to take over from you. Don't you have to work? I thought being a policeman required you to work long hours." Yu Bin wondered. She raised an eyebrow as she was amazed at how free he was.
 
        "Ahh.. You see I got my colleague to take over for me. I always go back to work after the lunch hour. Oh. From tomorrow onwards, i'll be coming in the evening to visit. I can't have my colleague to cover for me all the time right?" AJ answered. He had been visiting Hyo-Jin in the morning and sometimes in the evening for two months continuously. It was time he stopped doing so and do his job properly. He couldn't be idling all the time when he had been reinstated as a police officer. What would his superior think of him if he carried on having his colleague covering for him? He might even be dismissed from his post. 
       "Owhh. Okay. I have to go now. Bye!" Yu Bin got up and waved to AJ. 
       AJ replied with a smile. Once Yu Bin left the room, AJ turned his attention to Hyo-Jin.
 
        "Hello~ How are you today? I hope you're better." AJ asked, not expecting a reply at all. He her head gently.
 
         "Its already been two months since you've been in a deep sleep. Isn't it time for you to wake up already? I have so many things to tell you..." His voice trailed as he remembered the day Hyo-Jin had confessed her feelings to him. He regretted that day very much. He felt that everything that happened to Hyo-Jin was all because of him. 
       AJ smoothed out Hyo-Jin's long hair. Her injuries were healing well although there was still a tinge of light grey-black patches on her arms and face.  
        "Do you remember the man who hurt you physically? He survived as he wasn't shot in a fatal spot but he couldn't escape the long arms of justice. He got imprisoned as well." AJ said. He remembered the day he had gone to court to testify against them as he was a witness of the crime.
 
         AJ reached out for Hyo-Jin's hand and interwined her fingers with his. 
         "Hyo-Jin ah. Do you know how much I long to hold you in my arms? I want to hear your beautiful voice again. I want to make amends for hurting you that day. I need to tell you the truth about why I rejected your confession. There are so many things i want to do with you." Tears dripped from from his eyes to Hyo-Jin's hand.
 
        The door opened without warning and AJ was taken aback. He didn't have time to wipe his tears. A nurse entered. She saw the tears on AJ's face. She looked apologetic for not knocking beforehand. 
      "S-sorry. I didn't know you were here. I'll come back later." She turned to leave. 
       "Uh, its okay. Come in and do whatever you need to do." AJ smiled at her. He wiped his tears with the back of his hand. He still had his fingers interwined with Hyo-Jin's.
 
        The nurse looked relieved and was mesmerised by his smile. She stood there looking at him before she remembered her purpose of coming into the ward. She moved towards Hyo-Jin and did her routine check. When she was done, she took another glance at AJ before realising that she had met him before. 
      "Eh, Jaeseop. Its you right? Don't you remember me? Eunjung. We were in the same high school! We were even in the same class!" The nurse, Eunjung stated excitedly. Now she realised the reason why she found the feeling she felt when she saw his smile familiar. She had felt the same way whenever she saw his smile.
 
       "Really? I don't seem to remember. Wait.... Eunjung? We were seat mates weren't we? Ahh, now i remember! I remember how we used to throw paper planes in class and Jongmyun often got accused." AJ laughed. When they were in school, he was quite playful and often got their classmate, Jongmyun, a boy who wore spectacles with thick lenses, into trouble. 
       Eunjung giggled and nodded in agreement. 
       "Is she your girlfriend?" Eunjung asked pointing with her thumb towards Hyo-Jin. 
       "No, not yet but I think i've fallen for her." AJ said, looking down on the ground.  
       "Ahh, i see... Well lets exchange numbers before i get back to work!" Eunjung nodded eagerly. She felt her heart sinking as she heard what he said but she managed to mask her disappointment with excitement on her face. AJ seemed to believe her and was taking his phone out.
 
       They exchanged numbers and Eunjung left to attend to other patients. She stood outside Hyo-Jin's ward smiling. She leaned against the wall and held onto her phone. She gazed at the phone number she just received. It was the guy she fell for in high school. But her smile faded when she remembered what he said: "I think I've fallen for her".
That made Eunjung's heart ache. She wouldn't stand a chance. To her, Hyo-Jin was prettier than her. Even when they were in school, she found it hard to confess her feelings to him. She felt that she was inferior to him and didn't deserve him. They were also close friends which made it harder for her to confess. She didn't want to ruin their friendship just because of a confession.
 
        Eunjung shook her thoughts away and continued on her errand. She held the clipboard she was holding, tight by her side and walked away in small strides.
 
       Shortly after she left, Hyo-Jin's grandma arrived to take over from AJ. She walked slowly as she was finding difficulty walking fast. It hurt her legs to to do so. She had walked past Eunjung but didn't take much notice. She too, entered without knocking but this time, AJ wasn't taken by surprise. He was expecting such an entrance. 
      "Hello AJ! You can leave now if you have to. I know you need to work." Grandma said, strolling to Hyo-Jin's side.
        "Oh, okay." AJ replied. He stood up to help Hyo-Jin's grandma to Hyo-Jin's side. He was acting as a support for her.
 
      "Thank you. Its so sweet of you. Oh and AJ. Thank you so much for making an effort to come visit Hyo-Jin everyday without fail." Grandma smiled sweetly. She was deeply grateful from the bottom of her heart.
 
       "Never mind that. I come to visit her to monitor her progress" AJ explained. "I think i should go now. I shouldn't keep my colleague waiting." AJ smiled. He helped her down on a chair and moved away.
       "Ahh yes, you should. Go ahead." Grandma replied. She looked up at him and smiled.
 
        AJ his heels and left the ward. 
       Grandma sat next to Hyo-Jin. She began Hyo-Jin's forehead. 
       "Get up girl. I know how strong you are. You can do it." Grandma said firmly. Her expression changed as she felt something. She needed to relieve herself. Elderly people have these kinds of problems and they needed to relieve themselves frequently. Her grandma had the same problem.
 
        "Ohh sorry Hyo-Jin. I need the toilet all of a sudden. I'll be right back." Grandma said and she stood up to leave.
        As Hyo-Jin's grandma went into the toilet in Hyo-Jin's ward, Hyo-Jin made a sudden movement. She had moved one of her fingers. Soon after, her eyelids fluttered open. She squinted her eyes as they adjusted to the light.

Most of you might have noticed that I usually update twice in day. Thats because i type the story in my phone when i have free time and then post them. I also feel sorry for not updating often. Hehehe :D

Anyway, do subscribe and comment!!