Chapter 4

We Are GEMS!

It was Han Ji Joon.

 

She was a well-known person at my school.

 

Straight A student. Always at the top of every class.

 

And not only that.

 

She was also quite a beauty.

 

Long, dark silky hair and deep brown eyes. Her skin was pale and looked smooth. She also had a tall and thin figure.

 

In my eyes, she looked like a model.

 

I remember speaking to her a few times before, but that was only because we were assigned in the same group for projects (Since I had her for some classes).

 

She was like the perfect role model. She was even quite popular with the boys. Especially Myon. He actually fell in love with her at first sight. I found it really adorable.

 

But the question is...

 

What is she doing here?

 

"Jijoon?" I looked at her with wide eyes. "What are you doing here??"

 

She looked at me then froze. "Miri-sshi?"

 

We stood there in silence. Suddenly, she gripped my sleeve.

 

"Please don't tell anyone at school that I'm a trainee here!!" She begged.

 

....

 

What??

 

"Wait...you're a trainee here??" I asked, dumbfounded. She looked at me then face palmed.

 

"Aish...I shouldn't have told you that...." She muttered, pinching the bridge of her nose. I tilted my head to the side. I've never seen her like this. At school, she always had good manners and never got upset over anything. This side of her..was pretty funny.

 

"Anyways, please don't say anythi-"

 

"Haha!" I cut her off laughing. "What kind of person do you think I am? Look, if you really don't want me to say anything, I won't. It's none of my business anyways." I smiled warmly at her, catching her off guard.

 

Just then, the elevator door opened. I glanced at her with a smile. "C'mon."

 

Jijoon stood there, a bit shocked, then followed me. I pressed the button for the second floor and looked at her. "Where are you going?"

 

"Same floor...." She replied quietly.

 

So, we stood there, a bit awkwardly. Which was killing me on the inside. I hated awkward silences.

 

"Why...?..." She asked after a few moments.

 

I turned to her. "Why what?"

 

Jijoon looked down at me. (CURSE HER TALLNESS!!!) "Why are you letting me off so easily?" I furrowed my eyebrows at that. "I don't follow..."

 

She sighed. "A lot of girls at school would love to have something over me..."

 

"Why is that?" I asked curiously. She took a deep breathe. "They hate me....I never knew why they did until I heard them say that it was because I was 'too perfect' or 'I was stuck up'. I honestly didn’t care what they said about me, but then I had to put up with their bullying. I just thought you might’ve been the same, so-"

 

"OH HELL NO. WHO ARE THEY!? THOSE STUPID PEOPLE ARE JUST JEALOUS!!! I SWEAR IF I EVER SEE THEM....GAH!!" I crossed my arms and huffed. I absolutely HATE bullies. Seeing them hurt others just piss me off!

 

I looked at Jijoon, who was staring at me in surprise.

 

I smiled sheepishly. "Sorry. I really hate bullies. Listen if they ever give you trouble, come to me! I AIN'T AFRAID OF EM!!!" I said with a deep voice, trying to act manly.

 

Jijoon then bursted out laughing.

 

"What?" She continued to laugh as I stared at her in confusion.

 

"S-sorry! It’s just...Haha!! I never knew you were like this! Hahaha!!" She laughed, clutching her stomach. I smiled widely. "Hey, I can say the same for you! I never expected you to be interested in idols!" She calmed down, wiping some tears from her eyes. "Well, yeah. I've always actually wanted to become an idol!" Just then the door opened.

 

We stepped out and continued our conversation.

 

"Cool! How'd you get into S.M.?"

 

"I auditioned and showed some of my dance and rapping skills!"

 

"JINJJA!? THAT'S SO COOL!! I never knew you could dance and rap!!!"

 

"Haha, thanks! How about you?"

 

"I was actually scouted along with my brother by a manager here when he saw us sing karaoke at an ice cream parlor!"

 

"You're a trainee too? NICE!!"

 

"Oh, this is the room I'm supposed to go to." We stopped walking and stood in front of one of the many glass doors.

 

"Jinjja? This is actually my stop too!" Jijoon grinned at me as I looked at her with happiness. I instantly glomped her. "I'M NOT ALONE ANYMORE!!!" I cried. She laughed and I got off of her to open the door. We walked in and I noticed not many people were there.

 

"Where is everybody?" I asked, looking around.

 

"This is it. Not many people are here anymore because they got kicked out." Jijoon replied.

 

I looked at her in shock. "Wae??"

 

"They weren't improving at all and they blamed each other for it, which led to fighting. In this place, they don't baby you. You must take this job seriously and act professional. It's the only way to make it in the idol world." She said. "You must train for long periods of time here and perfect your skills. You never know when or even if we're going to debut. You have to stand out to get noticed."

 

I looked down. "I see..."

 

I never knew idols had it so hard...

 

I feel like I really respect them now.

 

"Where's the teacher?" I questioned, seeing everyone was just relaxing on the sides.

 

"Not here yet, I guess.” I followed Jijoon to one of the empty corners of the room and sat down with her.

 

“What class is this?” She looked at me.

 

“Dance class. Bae seonsangnim is pretty cool, but she becomes strict when she needs to be. Just so you know!” Jijoon said.

 

I started playing with my hair, nervously.

 

I’ve never really danced before…

 

I inwardly sighed.

 

I hope I do well…..

 

Just then, the door opened.

 

A woman (probably in her mid 30’s) walked in.

 

I noticed that as she did, everyone was already on their feet, including Jijoon. I quickly got up aswell and looked down in embarrassment.

 

I bit the bottom of my lip and glanced up.

 

I kind of regretted it.

 

Bae seonsangnim was staring straight at me.

 

“Go introduce yourself!” Jijoon whispered to me harshly, pushing me a bit.

 

I slowly walked up to Bae seonsangnim and bowed.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo. Je ireumeun Kyu Mi Ri imnida. I am a new trainee here.” I said and stood up straight.

 

She eyed me for a moment before smiling.

 

“Oh, yes. I heard about you. You were scouted by Min Kyung. I am very impressed. He’s never done that before. You must be very talented. Anyways, welcome to the class.” I shook hands with her and smiled.

 

As I walked back to Jijoon, I scratched the back of my head.

 

What was so talented about me?

 

I don’t get these people….

 

“Ok everyone! Start stretching so we could get started!” Bae seonsangnim looked at me. “Ms.Kyu, just follow along. You’ll get used to it in no time. Ms.Han, if she has trouble, help her.” We both nodded.

 

The stretches were pretty easy to me. Well, at first. Then I saw everybody starting to do splits, cartwheels and whatnot. I looked over at Jijoon, who was on the ground, doing the splits.

 

I pouted at her. “How do you do that??”

 

She got up. “Here. I’ll show you.”

 

She then slid to the ground in a position.

 

“Your front knee should be straight and your back knee bent so the shin on that leg is resting on the ground. Slowly lower yourself down as far as you can go. Don't overdo it. This means if you can only go down to a foot off the ground while feeling a decent stretch, don't go any further. Stay in this position for about 30 seconds, then get up, stretch, and repeat.” As Jijoon explained this, she demonstrated it to me.

 

I stood there and stared, a bit overwhelmed, but tried anyway.

 

“….Oww….this is as far as I go…” I frowned and got back up.

 

“It’s ok. I was never really a flexible person, so it was very hard for me to learn how to do this. After a while, I finally succeeded!” She said, smiling.

 

“I see!” I said in awe.

 

“Ok! Time to start dancing! Get in the usual formation please!” I started to inwardly panic.

 

Huh? Formation???

 

Wait…

 

I don’t even know the dance moves!!

 

“Um…Seonsangnim!” I called and walked over to her. “Is it alright for me to watch for a bit, before I start dancing? I want memorize the dance steps.” She stared at me.

 

“You have good memory?” I nodded.

 

“Alright then. But, you must dance alone. Go stand over there in the front.” She said.

 

I thanked her gratefully and did as I was told.

 

As they started dancing, I observed them very carefully and took notes on every little detail in my head. I was very glad that I had such good memory. It’s very useful.

 

“Right foot…..swing….turn at a 90 degree angle…” I muttered to myself as I watched. I noticed that the second time the chorus came up, the dance slightly changed and took note of it.

 

When the song ended, Bae seonsangnim glanced at me.

 

“Are you ready?”

 

I nodded and smiled confidently.

 

“Yes.”