Chapter 1

We Are GEMS!

"Miri!!"

 

My eyes snapped open as soon as I heard my name being called. I lifted my head.

 

"Where am I again?" I thought with confusion as I rubbed at my eyes tiredly. Such a good nap that was. Sigh. Then it clicked.

 

Oh that's right. I'm in school.

 

"Miri, you sleep like a rock!" I turned to the owner of the voice, which happened to be Hong Ri Na. I realized she was the same person who woke me up.

 

I smiled at her sheepishly. "Thanks for waking me up."

 

"No problem!~" Rina smiled back after heading off to a group of people, who I'm guessing are her friends.

 

Rina and I weren't exactly close. We had only spoken to each other a few times and that was it. But she was a nice girl so I considered her a friend rather than an acquaintance.

 

 

Now that I think about it...

 

I don't really have any close friends at all.

 

I wasn't a loner. I actually have lots of friends, but none that I could actually be completely open with.

 

And that was just sad because this year I would be graduating soon and I didn't have anybody to celebrate it with. Well, except for my twin brother. But I'm pretty sure he has plans. He IS the star of our school's basketball team. Even though he's the shortest of them all.

 

I sighed and put my head back down on my desk, deciding to not think about it too much.

 

Ah, whatever.

 

"Kyyaaa!~" I jumped a bit in my seat from the sudden shriek.

 

"Geez! That scared me!" I thought with a pout as I held my chest. I glared over at the group of squealing girls across from me. What's up with them?

 

"Omo! I just love EXO's new song!~"

 

"What's it called again?"

 

"Wolf!"

 

"So y!"

 

"I like the Chinese version! Tao is SO hot!"

 

"So is Luhan! I've never seen this side of him!~"

 

I tilted my head a little. I've heard of EXO before. I seriously love their music, but I've never actually seen them before. I looked out the window beside my desk and played with the tips of my dark brown hair.

 

Idols.

 

They must live exciting lives. Being famous and all.

 

They're so out of my reach and that makes me kind of sad.

 

This doesn't make me feel satisfied with my life at all...

 

I need to do something with my life. Something that I can do with my own talents.

 

But what?

 

Hours passed as I thought deeply about it and before I knew it, it was time to go home.

 

“Miri-ah!!” I looked up from my iphone to see my twin brother running towards me at full speed, his arms flailing. I got up from my spot on a bench and crossed my arms. “Myon, you pabo! How long did you plan on making me wait in front of the school?” I said with a pout as he stopped in front of me, looking like he just ran a marathon.

 

“Mianhae! I had a meeting with my team and it took a bit longer than expected!” He apologized then put an arm around my shoulders. “C’mon. I’ll buy you some ice cream to make up for it.”

 

My eyes lit up at that. I WILL NOT GIVE IN.

 

“OKAY!!” Damn it all….

 

Myon grinned at me widely. “I knew you couldn’t resist the sweets.” He said as we started walking on a sidewalk that led to a nearby ice cream parlor. “Shut up.” I frowned at him and took his arm off my shoulders. I then quickened my steps as I walked just to be ahead of Myon. “Yah! You’re walking too fast, Miri-ah!” Myon complained and grabbed my hand, pulling me back to his side. “Slow down! You might hurt yourself!”

 

I gave him a look. “Says the one who got his head stuck in a pipe out of curiosity.”

 

“YAH!! THAT WAS ONE TIME! AND I WAS FIVE!!!”

 

“Haha!” I laughed. We stopped walking when we finally reached our destination and went inside.

 

“Hwangyong hamnida!” A middle-aged man behind the counter welcomed us as we walked in. We both smiled politely and strode over to him.

 

“Can I have one scoop of double chocolate chip ice cream and another scoop of mint chocolate chip, both in separate cups please?” Myon ordered as I walked around, admiring the art that was painted on the brightly colored walls. Then something caught my attention.

 

“Karaoke?” I thought as I stared at the small TV with a karaoke system connected to it. I picked up one of the three microphones that laid on the table and held it. “Wanna try it?” Myon was suddenly at my side, grinning at me, the two cups of ice cream in his hands. I shook my head.

 

“No way! There are people here…” I said the last part quietly. I had always had a bit of stage fright. Every time I sing in front of people, I mess up the lyrics and my voice would crack. “And besides, my voice isn’t anything special.”

 

“I always hear you sing! Your voice is amazingly cute and unique! You’re really good!” Myon encouraged me. “Uhuh.” I said, unconvinced. “If it’ll make you feel any better, I’ll sing with you.” He then put the cups down on the table and grabbed a mic. I stood there a few moments before sighing. “Alright…”

 

“Cool! And I know the perfect duet song for us!” Myon grabbed the karaoke song booklet and started skimming through it. “That is, if they have it…” A few seconds later, he jumped up. “OMO!! THEY DO!!”

 

I raised an eyebrow at him in curiosity. “What is it???” I asked.

 

Myon smiled at me. “You’ll see.”

 

Then after putting the numbers in, a familiar tune came up.

 

My eyes widened a bit.

 

This is...

 

“Everything is Pretty by Secret’s Sunhwa and B.A.P’s Youngjae…” I muttered to myself. I remember singing this song at home a lot with Myon. We both started obsessing over it after listening to it for the first time.

 

I quickly snapped out of my thoughts when I realized it was about to start and felt my stomach drop a bit. I go first….

 

“It’s okay.” Myon patted my head, noticing my discomfort. “I’m singing with you.” He soothed. I nodded at him and took a deep breathe. If Myon is here, then I’m fine…

 

Then, I opened my mouth.

 

Eosaekhagiman han uri cheot mannam u woeoeoeo~

Geuraedo nan waenji sirchi anhatji uwo~

Eodiseonga manhi bon deutae neoui yeppeun misoga~

Nareul dugeundugeundugeun seollege haetji u woeoeoeo~

 

Iyuga eodi isseo joheumyeon geunyang joheun geoji~

Eonjebuteoilkka? Ige sarangilkka?

Wae jakku neoman bomyeon haengbokhalkka~

Eojjeom geureoke neon da yeppeo~

Binteumeobsi da yeppeo~

Sarangsarangsarang saranghae~ Neoui geu modeun geol~

Yoribogo jori tto bwado~ Eodil bwado da yeppeo~

Nuga mwora haedo naneun nipyeoniya~

Yeppeuge saranghaja~

 

I smiled brightly as I felt myself completely into the song. I didn’t feel nervous at all! I even did little hand movements as we sang the song together. When the song finished, Myon and I looked behind us to see a small crowd of people applauding us. I stood there, shocked, while Myon bowed. I blushed in embarrassment and quickly bowed.

 

Soon, everyone was back at their seats, chatting like usual. “Ready to go?” Myon smiled at me after throwing away our empty cups. I nodded with a bright smile. “Neh!” Then we left, heading home. Good thing our house was in the area.

 

“Miri-ah! Did you purposely use your aegyo voice while we were singing?” Myon asked with a knowing grin.

 

I looked around. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I said passively. His grinned widened.

 

“YOU DID, DIDN’T YOU? Y’know, you’re pretty good at it! Not just with your voice, but your expressions too!” He looked at me.

 

“It kind of reminds me of Sunny.” My eyes widened and I stared at him.

 

“JINJJA???” I asked, my voice full of hope.

 

Myon smiled widely. “Neh!”

 

I jumped around happily, squealing a bit. He knew that I LOVED Sunny from SNSD. I practically WORSHIPPED her! She was like the cutest thing on the planet! I listened to all of SNSD’s songs and Sunny’s solo songs! Yep, that’s right. I am a SONE.

 

“Excuse me?” We looked behind us to see a middle-aged man walking towards us.

 

“Yes?” Myon asked cautiously, making sure that I was behind him.

 

“Hello, I am Min Kyung. I work as a manager at SM Entertainment and I would like to scout you two.”

 

Myon and I both stared.

 

 

……

 

………..

 

…………………………….

 

…………………………………………….

 

 

“…What?”