There She Goes

Righteousness, Letting Go, Denial, & Ephebophilia

 

Sooyoung’s POV

            I’m by myself in my room, doing my assignment after we finish our take out dinner. Yuri was the only one absent. It gives me an advantage though, because Jessica would cling to me whenever her girlfriend is not around. I guess she feels more comfortable with me rather than with Taeyeon, Tiffany, or Hyomin because we’re roommates and all. Wait, did I just say it gives me an advantage?! Okay scrap that. Just pretend I never said that, okay?

            Well anyway, I place my iPod on the speaker and put it on shuffle mode. I’m ready to focus to finish this assignment tonight.

            The first song my iPod plays is There She Goes by Sixpence None The Richer.

            There she goes, there she goes again, racing through my brain, and I just can’t take this feeling that remains.

            Great, just great. There SHE goes again, bombarding my mind and making me lose my focus. Aaarrrrgggghh!!

            I press forward so my iPod would play the next song. And it plays Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne.

            Hey hey you you, I don’t like your girlfriend. No way, no way. I think you need a new one. Hey hey you you. I could be yo-

            Nope, Avril doesn’t get cut off nor my iPod is broken. But my mind stops processing for a moment because Jessica just enters the room. She goes straight to her bed and lies on her back as the song keeps playing,

            You’re so fine, I want you mine, you’re so delicious. I think about you all the time, you’re so addictive.

            And now my face burns with embarrassment. I push forward again to make Avril stops voicing out my mind.

            Somehow my iPod gets on Sixpence None The Richer again. Thankfully, it’s not the song There She Goes, but it’s Kiss Me.

            Suddenly the images when she kissed me on the lips starts popping out in my head. WHAT THE HELL!!! She’s right there! How could I imagine such thing! I push forward button again.

            This time it’s To Be With You by Mr. Big. Well I guess there’s no problem with this song...... until it gets to the chorus.

            I’m the one who wants to be with you. Deep inside I hope you feel it too.

            REALLY?! What’s wrong with this iPod?! I finally shut it off completely.

            “Sooyoungie, what are you doing?” she sits up, rests her head on the headboard of the bed, and hugs her bolster. Now that’s a very cute sight. WAAAAAAGH! Stop it! Stop!!! It’s just an ORDINARY sight. Nothing’s cute about it! 

            “I.. I’m doing my assignment.” I turn my body so I’m back-facing her. 

            “Oh... okay.” She sounds like she’s having a problem. I look at her over my shoulder and she’s indeed thinking about something while staring blankly ahead.

            “Sica-ah, are you okay? Is there something bothering you?” screw assignment. She’s more important than that. Don’t get me wrong. Friends are more important than assignment, okay?

            “I’m fine, Soo. It’s just.... Yuri’s been very busy these last few days. I guess I just miss her.” True, Yuri’s been super busy lately. She comes home very late and she goes off to campus very early. She said there’s an assignment that needs her to be on campus 24/7.

            “Are you sure that’s it?” it’s killing me every time she tells me her problem with her girlfriend. But I’m her best friend and I hate seeing her sad. So I just have to control my jealousy every time she mentions her. SIGH. I shouldn’t even feel jealous! SIGH AGAIN.

            She looks down and finally answers me, “She’s starting to change, Soo. I don’t know why, but I feel like she’s slowly drifting away from me.” I could see sadness in her eyes.

            “No, don’t think like that. She’s probably just busy with that assignment.”

            She looks unsure, “Hopefully.”

            “She’ll return to you when the assignment is done.” I say again, trying to assure her.

            She still looks sad. I hate this. I wish I could just go to Yuri and told her to drop her ‘big’ assignment (just like what I did now) so Jessica would feel happy again.

            “Come on, don’t look like that! Smile.” I go to her and mold her face to make her smile.

            “Okay, okay. I’m smiling.” She laughs. 

            “Good.” I can’t help to laugh with her.

            “Thank you, Sooyoungie.”

            “Anytime, Sica-ah. Anytime.” 

 

 

Taeyeon’s POV

            After we finish dinner, my girlfriend voluntarily washing the dishes and of course, I’m helping her.

            “Where’s Yuri? I haven’t seen her all day.”

            “Yeah, she still in campus, working on a big assignment.”

            “This late? Wow, what kind of assignment is that?”

            “Well you know she takes a difficult major, Tae. It’s not really surprising that it comes with difficult assignment too.”

            “Make sense.” I look at her while drying my hands. She’s washing the last piece of utensil. Even from the side profile, she looks very pretty. I have this urge to kiss her, so I lean forward and kiss her cheek.

            She’s surprised by my action, but I can tell she likes it.

            “What’s that for?”

            “Nothing. I can’t kiss my girlfriend whenever I want to?” I encircle my arms on her waist, sideways. I can feel my heart beats faster than normal.

            “You can.” Her answers come out in a whisper, as if I’m the only one who can hear her, even though there’s only the two of us in the kitchen.

            I kiss her cheek again and again and again. She chuckles and put her arms around my neck, finally finishes with the dishes. She turns her body to face me.

            “Really, what’s gotten into you?”

            Truth to be told, I’m getting bolder of my action ever since I talked with Jessica. I finally knew the answer for all my anxiety. I just need my family’s approval.

            “I..” a kiss on her left eye, “just..” a kiss on her right eye, “love..” a kiss on her forehead, “kissing..” a kiss on her nose, “my...” a kiss on her left cheek, “girlfriend.”, and a kiss on her right cheek.

            All the while, she has this broad smile on her face. Without saying anything, she kisses me fully on the lips.

            “Me too.” 

 

 

Yuri’s POV

            ‘Why aren’t you home, yet? Haven’t seen you all day :( I miss you, baby~’

            I read the text my girlfriend sent me over and over again. I’m really confused right now. How could I make the decision between her and my family? How could I make that kind of decision?! I sigh in frustration.

            “Hey, what’s wrong?”

            “What would you do?” I’m at my cousin’s house. Everyday after class is over, I would come to his house until late at night before returning to my apartment. I wait until she goes to bed so I don’t have to meet her. I can’t be near Jessica at the moment. I need to get away from her so I can make the right decision.

            “What do you mean?”

            “What would you do if you’re the one who has to make a decision like this?”

            Soonkyu knew about my ual orientation and even about my current problem. He’s actually the first one who knew about it. We’re really close and he’s like a little brother to me. Yep, he’s younger than me. He’s actually still in high school. But sometimes I feel he’s wiser than me. That disastrous night when I got thrown away from my own house, I cried to him like I never cried before. He’s really patient and he brings me comfort. Every time I have problems, he would give me solution.  

            “I really don’t know, Yul.” But this time, even he can’t give an answer to my problem.

            We grew silent at the moment. I re-read the text Jessica sent me. Should I let her go? The thought of that sting my heart.

            “Maybe... maybe you should talk to my mom?” he asks hesitantly.

            Her mother is my mother’s sister. Can you guess? Yes, she’s the gay sister my mom despised secretly. I told Soonkyu about that too. He was shocked at first, but recalling the memories he had about his aunt, it makes sense now why she treats him rather coldly.

            “No. I don’t want to ask your mom. If I do, she would know that her sister is actually ashamed of her.”

            “Just choose your girlfriend then. Who cares about your family? We would happily accept you as part of our family. I, for one, would be very happy to have you as a big sister.” He smiles broadly.

            I laugh at his remarked.

            “I love my family, Soonkyu-ah. Yes, maybe we’re not that close. But they’re still my family. Especially my mom, she gives birth to me. She gave me life. How could I turn my back on her?”

            Suddenly my phone’s vibrated. Jessica is calling.

            As soon as I push the answer button, her voice enters my ear.

            “YURI-AH! Where the hell are you?! Why didn’t you reply my text??” she’s worrying about me. Yes, she’s actually shouting, but that’s just showed how worried she is.

            “I’m sorry, baby. I was talking to Soonkyu. I’m at his house.”

            “Soonkyu? Your cousin? What are you doing there at this hour? I thought you’re still at campus, doing your assignment.”

            I face-palmed myself. I should’ve told her I’m still at campus. It’s getting harder lying to her like this. “Well, he’s having a problem and he needs my opinion about it.” I throw an apologetic look to Soonkyu, feeling sorry because I use him as an excuse.

            “Does that mean your assignment is done?” she asks, a hint of hope there.

            “No, it’s not finish yet.”

            I heard her sigh, “So what time will you come home? I miss you.” It’s killing me. I miss her so much too!

            “I... I don’t think I’ll come home. I’m staying at Soonkyu’s house tonight.” I look at Soonkyu again, asking for permission. He just nods understandingly.

            She stays quiet for a moment before talking again, “You really need to stay there? Is his problem that big of a deal?” she sounds disappointed.

            “Ye-yeah.”

            “Well then, send my hug for him. And you better come home tomorrow, Yul. I miss you too much.” Another pain struck.

            “Yes, I’ll be home tomorrow. I... I miss you too.”

            “Okay, bye. Love you.” I let her words sink into my heart and take a moment before answering her.

            “I love you too.” I hung up the phone and my tears started to come out again. Soonkyu hurriedly hugs me.

            How could I make the decision? How?   

 


 

I never knew perfection till

I heard you speak, and now it kills me

Just to hear you say the simple things

Now waking up is hard to do

And sleeping is impossible too

Everything is reminding me of you

What can I do?

 

It’s not right, not OK

Say the words that you say

Maybe we’re better off this way?

 

Saw you sitting all alone

You’re fragile and you’re cold, but that’s all right

Life these days is getting rough

They’ve knocked you down and beat you up

But it’s just a rollercoaster anyway, yeah

 

I’m not fine, I’m in pain

It’s harder everyday

Maybe we’re better off this way?

It’s better that we break, baby

           

Better That We Break by Maroon 5