Anxiety

Righteousness, Letting Go, Denial, & Ephebophilia

 

Hyomin’s POV

            I’m still in shocked that Yuri and Jessica broke up. Especially the reason behind it. It doesn’t make sense at all. Yuri doesn’t love Jessica anymore? Nonsense! The way they love it’s like they’re going to last forever.            

            We’re back to our own room to get ready for our class. Taeyeon enters the room with Tiffany trailing behind her.

            “I still can’t believe they broke up. Can you guys believe it?” I ask the two.

            “Yeah. It’s crazy.” Tiffany sits down on Taeyeon’s bed while the owner of the bed is putting stuff into her bag.

            “I bet there’s more to it though. I don’t think they broke up because Yuri doesn’t love her anymore. There must be something else.”

            Taeyeon looks at Tiffany and they’re having this weird staring contest. Finally Tiffany sighs and looks at me.

            “There is something else.”

            I gasp. “What is it? She’s not cheating on Jessica, is she?! Or is she’s turning straight again? No it can’t be, right?!”

            “Calm down, Hyominnie. It’s so much more than that.” Taeyeon says.

            They tell me everything. Tiffany also tells me not to spread this to anyone. I feel pity to both Yuri and Jessica. To Yuri because her family literally would disown her because of who she is. To Jessica because she’s in the dark of this situation. The only thing she knew is that someone she trusts and loves turn her back on her.

            I’m sitting on the edge of my bed, facing the two of them on Taeyeon’s bed. I feel worried. I look at them and I know the break up is also taking its toll on them. Out of 4 of them (excluding Sooyoung), the only one who already comes out from the closet is Jessica. Well also Yuri, but you know how that turns out. 

            “You guys... okay?” I ask slowly.

            Taeyeon chuckles, “We’re not the one who broke up, Hyominnie.”

            “You know what I mean, Tae. What happened to Yuri could-” before I finish my sentence, Tiffany cuts me off.

            “Happen to us. We know that.” She looks down at her lap. God, please don’t break this couple too. We grow silent. I don’t know what to say and the two in front of me don’t seem to know either. But then Taeyeon takes Tiffany’s hand and intertwine it with hers.

            “Everything will be fine as long we’re together. Don’t worry about things that haven’t happened yet, okay?” she gives a reassuring smile to her girlfriend. Tiffany smiles back. They look at each other for some time and somehow I feel that they’re going to be just fine. But that’s what I thought about Yuri and Jessica. I guess nobody knows what’s the future brings us. However, it’s getting awkward with them lost in each other while I’m still sitting right in front of them.

            “Ooookay, do I need to leave the room or something?” that brings them back to reality and Taeyeon stands up to continue her prepping before.

            Tiffany is still smiling and asking me the question I avoided last night.

            “Well, how about you, Hyomin-ah? When can we meet your perfect guy?”

            “Never.”

            “Wrong answer. We are going to meet him soon.” Taeyeon speaks and gives me a sly smile.

            “We’re not. Period.”

            “Whyyyyyyy not?” Tiffany whines.

            “Because, I don’t know what the others might think.”

            “They’ll be fine with it. Trust me. Besides, this time it’ll be a proper orientation.”

            “Proper? What do you mean?”

            “You fell for this guy, so we need to really check if he’s a psycho or not.”

            “He’s not!”

            “Defending him already? Wow I’m really curious about the guy who can tame the Campus Heartbreaker now.”

            “Okay, it’s settle then! Bring him over after Christmas break.” Taeyeon has her bag on her shoulder, ready to leave. Tiffany stands up also.

            “Do I have a say in this?” I ask defeated.

            “No.” both of them answers in unison.

            “We’ll see you later! Be a good girl, okay?” Taeyeon winks and heads for the door.

            “Bye, Hyomin-ah! Say hi to your little boyfriend.” Tiffany waves at me. They close the door and I lie down on my bed.

            What if Jessica, Sooyoung, or Yuri doesn’t like him? What if they chase him away? They could be a real pain in the looking back at some of the flings I brought over. Surely, I never feel nervous like this before. When Taeyeon told me to bring over the guys I dated before, I would do it without thinking much. Because I wasn’t actually into them. But now? I can’t help to feel nervous. 

            Really, anxiety could kill me now.

 

 

1 week later

 

Taeyeon’s POV

            Here we are, in front of the door of my house. I take her hand in mine, holding it tight and she smiles warmly at me.

            Now it’s time to face my biggest fear. Confessing to my family. On the other hand, she already told her father about our relationship through phone, since he’s outside the country. He was shocked at first but then he told her it doesn’t matter as long as she’s happy. Although her father’s voice was kind of unsure, but his statement is what matters.

            Honestly, what happened to our friends’ relationship has affected me. I was scared like hell that my mom’s reaction would be the same as Yuri’s. They’re close friends. Yuri and me are childhood friends. But she has to moved just when we’re about to enter elementary. Our mom was still keeping contact and called each other up till now.

            Back to the problem I’m facing. I thought about running away to another country and tell a lie to my family that I got a job or whatever, but that sounds stupid and impossible. When I witnessed that two of my friends didn’t make it last, I was disappointed. I thought we’re going to the same phase, that we won’t last. But somehow, I don’t know why, deep at the bottom of my heart, I knew my mom would accept me for who I am. My whole family would accept me just the way I am. I am not sure, but wouldn’t they accept me? Or would they? I need my family’s approval first before I could tell the world that I’m in love with a girl. As long as I have my family behind me, I won’t care if the community were against us.            

            Not long after I push the doorbell, my mom opens the door.

            “Oh my daughter!!!” she hugs me as if we haven’t seen each other for years. Well, we haven’t seen each other for months though.

            “Hi mom. Merry Christmas!” I hug her back. I guess she loves me enough to put my happiness before anything else, right? Oh gosh it’s so nerve wrecking!

            “Merry Christmas to you too, darling.”

            After she releases me from the hug, I nervously step aside so my mom would acknowledge the presence of my girlfriend.

            “Mom, you rememb-” but she cut me off.

            “Of course I remember! Come here!” and she hugs her also. She’s surprised by the sudden action, but return the hug with a big smile on her face.

            “Merry Christmas, Mrs. Kim.”

            “Mrs. Kim? I told you to call me mom, didn’t I?”

            “Ah, yeah. Merry Christmas, mom.” That sounds right somehow. 

            “How are you? You girls have grown so much!”

            “I’m very much fine, thank you. How are you?”

            “Not really good, I miss this girl too much.” A pinch on my cheek. “Oh by the way, she’s not bugging you much, is she? Every time I call her, she would always talk about you.”

            Information overload! I blush as my mom keeps talking as we’re going inside of my house.

            “Mom!” I try to make her stop talking.

            “What? It’s true. Before she met you, our talk was really short. But now, I’m the one who’s getting tired listening to this kid. She’s more open now. Thanks to you.” My mom stops walking and look at my girlfriend warmly.

            “Oh, it’s nothing. She’s very nice to me also.”

            “Thank you for being such a great friend for her.”

            We both freeze at the words, great friend.

            “Well, she’s a great friend to me too.”

            “Ah, I envy the friendship between the two of you. Well, now go put your bags in your room and come back down for lunch, okay.”

            “Okay, mom.” She goes to the kitchen while we go to my room to put our bags.  

            I put our bags on the floor of my bedroom and suddenly she wraps her arms around me, back hugging me.

            “So, you ALWAYS talked about me, huh?”

            “Not always...” I turn my body around to face her. She cupped my cheeks and then pinched them.

            “Ouch! What’s that for?”    

            “You’re so tense. Relax.” Then she kisses both my abused cheeks and hugs me.

            “What if my family doesn’t accept us?”

            She hugs me tighter, resting her head on my shoulder.

            “We’ll..... find a way.”

            That’s not the answer I’m looking for. But it’s enough for now.

            We go downstairs to the dining room. My dad and big brother are already there.

            “There she is! My little girl! Come hug your old man.” My dad stands up from his seat and hugs me tight, “Merry Christmas, sweetheart.”

            “Merry Christmas, daddy.” I hug him back. When he lets go of me, my girlfriend tries to greet him but got cut off, again.  

            “Hello, uncl-”

            “Dad, just call me dad! You’re already like my third daughter, Tiffany.” and he goes to hug her also. It’s really an amazing sight for me. How my whole family already thinks of her as part of our own. I hope nothing will change after I confess to them.

            My big brother also stands up and waiting for his turn to hug me.

            “Merry Christmas, little sister.” He hugs and ruffles my hair.

            “Hi big brother. Merry Christmas!”

            He shakes hands with my girlfriend and there’s a glimpse of twinkle in his eyes. I wonder why is that.

            We take our seat, but I haven’t seen my little sister yet.

            “Where is-” I got cut off because there are little hands covering my eyes.

            “Guess who?” oh that cute voice I’ve been missing.

            “Baby girl!” I turn around and hug her instantly. “I miss you so much!”

            “Then why don’t you come home sooner?” she slaps my arm after I release her.

            “I’m sorry, I got many things to do.”

            “You and your brother are just the same.” She crosses her arms and takes her seat. She’s too cute! My dad just laughs at her comment.

            “Hey! I got here last night!” my brother defends himself.

            My little sister is just too damn cute. I pinch her cheek.

            “That huuuuurts! Mommy!” she whines and just in time, my mom arrives from the kitchen.

            “Okay, that’s enough. Let’s have a decent Christmas’s Lunch now!”

            I look at my girlfriend and she smiles lovingly me.

            As we eat the delicious food that my mom made, we talk about stuff and I’m getting more nervous now.

            “How’s everything at work?” my dad asks my big brother.

            “Everything’s fine, but I need to go back tonight.”

            “ALREADY?!” my little sister almost choked by her own outburst.

            “Be careful, honey.” 

            “Why can’t you stay longer?” she looks sad now.

            “I’m so sorry, I got work to do. Boss only gave us 2 days off, yesterday and today. I promise I’ll be back for New Year’s evening, baby girl.”

            She frowns and stops eating. The house got really quiet after my brother got a job in the city and I went away for college. I guess my little sister got lonely too.

            “I will buy new year’s present especially for you.” My brother tries to bring back her good mood. While the rest of us just watch. She’s the youngest and of course, all of us spoiled her.

            “Promise?” she lifts up her pinky finger to my brother.

            “Promise.” And with that, the atmosphere back to happy again.

            “So how’s your girlfriend? Why don’t you bring her?” my mom turns to ask my big brother.

            “Oh, about that. I need to tell you guys something.” That doesn’t sound good. Is he gay too?!

            “What is it?”

            “I broke up with her.” Thank goodness. Can’t imagine if 2 out of 3 children of this family are gay.           

            “Oh no, that’s too bad. Why?”

            “It’s complicated, mom.”

            “That’s really too bad. I’m starting to like her, son.” My mom says with a disappointed look.

            “Sorry mom.” We eat peacefully before he starts to talk again.

            “So, since I’m no longer having a girlfriend now, are you single?” he looks straight to my girlfriend.

            “SHE’S NOT!” everybody went silent and looked at me. I just realized I’m over-reacting.

            “I... I mean, she has someone already.” I see MY girlfriend’s amused face and she tries to suppress her smile.

            “Well, no need to shout it, lil sis. What’s wrong with you?” he sounds suspicious, but my mom saves me.

            “Oh, speaking of! How’s Yuri? Her mom called and told me everything.”

            My girlfriend and me look at each other, surprised and wondering what to say.

            “What do you mean, mom?”

            “You know, about her being in a relationship with your other housemate.” She says it nonchalantly. “Her mom was really shocked and disappointed. She never thought that her daughter would be interested in the same gender like that.”  

            I almost choked on my food. But she doesn’t stop there.

            “I’m grateful I don’t have to go through what she experienced.” 

            My heart stops beating.

            “Mom, what do you mean with ‘interested in the same gender’?” seems like we all forgot that there’s an underage kid in the room.

            My dad takes the initiative to change to subject, “Who wants ice cream?”

            “Me! Me! Me!” my little sister expression change instantly from confused to excited.

            I look at my girlfriend and we both knew it’s not the right time now. But would there be a right time?  



 

 

There's something 'bout the night

And the way it hides all the things I like

Little black butterflies

Deep inside me

 

What would my mama do

If she knew 'bout me and you?

What would my daddy say

If he saw me hurt this way?

(Uh Oh Uh Oh)

 

Mama Do by Pixie Lott