By Your Side

Righteousness, Letting Go, Denial, & Ephebophilia

 

 

 

 

Sooyoung’s POV

            I surprise myself when I woke up. Here I am, on her bed, hugging her from behind. She’s still sleeping so I move from her bed as slowly as possible so I won’t wake her up. After I succeeded, I got up and look at her face. Her eyes are puffy and there’s a streak of tears on her cheeks. It hurts me a lot to see her like this. Last night, I can’t even ask her what happened. She just cried and cried. I know she’s not ready to talk about it yet. But I believe Yuri must did something bad to her. Suddenly I feel angry towards Yuri. What has she done?!

            I go to the bathroom to do my morning business and then I go out of the room. I heard voices from the kitchen. The other girls must be awake. I launch to the kitchen, hoping to see Yuri and confront her. As soon I enter the kitchen, she’s nowhere in sight.

            “Good morning, Sooyoung-ah!” Hyomin greets me happily. Why is she so happy? Didn’t she know what happened last night?!

            “Where is she?” I don’t bother to greet Hyomin back. She’s taken aback by my rudeness, but the other two seem to understand.

            “She’s off to campus already.”

            “Who’s she? And how do you understand who she means, Fany-ah?” Hyomin asks innocently.

            “Gosh, you’re so slow sometimes!” I snap at Hyomin. The bad side of Choi Sooyoung has been released.

            “Hey, what the hell is wrong with you?!” Taeyeon said, rising her voice. I’m angry at Yuri but why these people are adding fuel to that?!

            “There’s nothing wrong with me! You should ask Yuri that exact question, because Jessica was crying her eyes out last night!!” I exploded. I just want to find Yuri and strangle her.

            “Is Jessica okay now?” Tiffany asks me with worried eyes.

            “Whoa, stop right there! What happened last night after I went to my room?” Oh right, Hyomin went to her room before it happened.

            “Yuri broke up with me. She told me she doesn’t love me anymore. End of story.” Suddenly Jessica appears. We all look at her.

            “WHAT?!” Hyomin and I have the same expression on our face. Probably she’s more shocked than I am due to the fact that she doesn’t know anything. But I can’t believe that they broke up because that stupid doesn’t love Jessica anymore. HOW COULD ANYBODY NOT LOVE HER ANYMORE?! 

            “She said that?” I approach her and hold her arm.

            “Yes. Thank you for not asking me last night, Sooyoungie.” She gives me a warm smile. But I can see she’s still hurting. Her eyes begin to tear up again. I instantly hug her. Her tears soaked up my t-shirt. I hug her tighter. Taeyeon comes closer and her hair. Tiffany also pats her back. Hyomin hugs her from behind and in the end, we form a group hug.

            After some time, her cry subsides.

             “Thank you so much, guys. And I really appreciate it if we don’t talk about it any further.”

            “Yes, sure.”

            “Of course, Sica-ah.”

            We broke from the hug and eat breakfast like usual. Jessica is really trying to not think about it. But it hurts me witnessing how weak and fragile she was last night. I can’t help to feel mad at Yuri.  

 

 

Jessica’s POV

            After breakfast, I go back to my room and flop back on my bed. I feel like crying again. Her words keep repeating in my head.

            ‘I don’t love you anymore. We’re over. I want nothing to do with you.’

            How could she say those words? After all we’ve been through.

             I look at my wrist and the bracelet she gave me makes our memories rush through my mind. I want to yank the bracelet off, but I can’t do it. Memories are the only thing I have of her now. I can’t have a future with her, so past is all I got.

            “Sica-ah, you okay? Don’t you have class this morning?” Sooyoung asks me worriedly.

            “I don’t feel like going.” I bury my face on the pillow. Suddenly I feel her hand my hair.

            “You can’t be like this, Sica-ah. Don’t cry over her again. She’s not worth it.”

            I don’t reply to what she said.

            “Come on, let’s just take your mind off her. What do you want to do? Do you want to go shopping? I’ll accompany you.”

            “You have class today, Soo.” Still not looking at her.

            “I’ll skip it.”

            I finally look up to her, “Really?” Sooyoung is the kind of girl who would follow the rules. She always attends her classes, even when she’s sick, she would come to class. She has full absence the whole semester.

            “Ye-yeah.”

            “You would really ditch class just to accompany me shopping?”

            “If that’s what it takes to make you feel better.” She looks away from me.

            “You’re really a great friend, Sooyoungie. I’m grateful I have you.”

            I can’t possibly forget my pain just because I went shopping, but knowing that I still have Sooyoung who’s trying to help me heal, gives me big encouragement.