A Helping Hand

Righteousness, Letting Go, Denial, & Ephebophilia

 

Taeyeon’s POV

            We decided to spend this Sunday to go shopping. No, not just me and my girlfriend, but the six of us. It’s been quite some time we didn’t go out together. We used to do it every week, but gradually we got busy with our own schedule. So it’s nice finally we have time to do it again.

            We’re walking around at the mall and the couple amongst us can’t seem to stay away from each other. One has her arm wraps around the other one’s waist and she doesn’t even bother by it. People start to look at them weirdly, but judging from her face, she even seems happy that her girlfriend is treating her like that.

            I look over at my girlfriend. She’s talking to my other friend but then she caught me staring at her and winks at me. I smile at her and find myself blushing over the wink. Gosh, I’m head over heels for this girl, but yet I don’t have the courage to hold her hand in public. Stating our relationship to the world scares the hell out of me. We're both..... girls

            Well after we had that talk, I know she understands me. But there’s still a hint of sadness on her face every time we went out together.

            I sigh as I look at the happy couple again. I guess I need to talk to someone.

 

 

Jessica’s POV

            I got home just in time for dinner. As usual, we got them delivered to our apartment. Sooyoung must have got home just before I did, because she’s still wearing the same clothes since this morning. My girlfriend came in later than me, because she has more classes than the rest of us. After dinner, we say our goodnight to each other since we all got classes tomorrow morning and go to our own respective rooms. I, of course can’t help but to kiss my girlfriend before we parted. 

            “Sica-ah, you want to shower first?” Sooyoung asks as I fall on my bed. It’s a tiring day at campus. 

            “Nah, you go first, Soo.” She goes inside the bathroom and just when I’m about to drift off to sleep, someone’s knocking on my bedroom door.

            “Jessica, are you awake?” I look up and Taeyeon’s head is protruding from the open door.

            “Mmhhmm.” I sit up lazily.

            “I need to talk to you about something.” She seems hesitant.

            “What’s wrong?” she sits on the edge of my bed.

            “Well yeah... it’s....” she looks down. Something’s wrong.

            “Tae, what is it? You can tell me, it’s okay.” I say, trying to assure her to tell me about it. Clearly something’s bothering her.

            “Does... PDA means a lot to you guys?”

            “PDA?”

            “Public Display of Affection.” She answers timidly.

            “To you guys, you mean to lesbians?”

            “Ye-yeah.”

            I laugh at her. I thought it’s going to be a huge problem.  

            “Does PDA means a lot to you? A human being?” I try my best not to say it in a mocking tone. Taeyeon can seem strong and smart from the outside. But she’s actually really dense and confused when it comes to relationship. Especially to the kind of relationship she’s having now.

            “I don’t know.”

            “Well, for straight couple, I think PDA means you’re proud of your boyfriend and you want to show it off to the world. But for us, it also shows you’re proud of who you are. That you’re not afraid being different and breaking society’s view on the matters. It’s like making a statement of who you are. Do you know what I mean?”

            She nods slowly, absorbing what I just said.

            “Are you.... okay with Tiffany?”

            “We are. But this whole thing..... is new for me. She’s my first.... well I’ve never had a boyfriend or a girlfriend before.”

            I knew she’s new at not being straight, but I thought she had a relationship with guys before.

            “I like the feeling when we hold hands in public, but just when we did it, I feel people stare at me and judge me. I don’t know if it’s real or is it just my feelings, but I’m really uncomfortable with the way they stare at us. I even feel scared if they knew we’re actually a couple.”

            “I guess that’s natural. They can’t accept gays here. Well, not yet hopefully. You just need some time to adapt, Tae.”

            “Yeah, that’s what I think so too.” She smiles bitterly but the confused look is still there. We fell into silence before she asks again.

            “Have you ever felt like that before?”

            “Of course. When I had my first girlfriend, I hadn’t confessed to my family yet. So I’m scared I’d bumped into someone that knows my family and told them. I guess I don’t care about what other people think after I got my family’s blessing. The only thing that matters is what my family think of me, whether they accept me or not.”

            Taeyeon’s face lit. It’s like she’s finding an answer to her dilemma.

            “You haven’t told your family about it?”

            “I haven’t.”

            “Tae! What you’re doing here? What are you guys talking about?” Sooyoung comes out from the bathroom before we finish our conversation. Taeyeon seems to have more questions, but she holds it.

            “Just some gay stuff. Care to give an opinion, Soo?” she smirks as she says that. She’s back being the Taeyeon that we know now.

            Sooyoung goes stiff, “Oh... I-I think I’m just going to bed.”

            Taeyeon and I grin at each other because of her reaction.            

            “Well it’s getting late anyway. Thanks for the solution, Sica-ah. You’re definitely the best at it.” She gets up from my bed.

            “Hahahaha. At being gay?” I laugh at her subtle statement.

            She blushes, afraid I’m offended by it. Actually, Taeyeon doesn’t really share her problem with me. She’s much closer to Hyomin. So I’m glad she came to me this time. I guess it’s because I have the most experience in that specific area.

            “You’re welcome, Tae. You can come anytime whenever you have problem.” She looks relieve as I said it.

            “Thanks again, Jessica. Goodnight you two!”

            “Goodnight, Taeyeon-ah.” Sooyoung and I say it almost simultaneously. She goes out and closes the door. 

            “Night, Sica-ah.” Sooyoung is already inside her comforter and turning off her bedside lamp.

            “Night, Sooyoungie.” I get up to take a shower.

            Inside the bathroom, something comes to my mind. Has Yuri confessed to her family? 

 

 

Tiffany's POV

            We spend Friday night watching movies at home. Just the two of us, as the others have other plans. So here we are on the couch with her arm wraps around my shoulder and I intertwine my fingers with hers. I don't even know what we're watching as I'm having too much fun playing with her hand. 

            "What's your plan for Christmas?"

            "I don't have any." I'm hoping to spend it with you.

            "You're not going to visit your family?"

            "Nope. I'm having exams right after New Year’s Day. Too much of a hassle if I go there." My dad got job overseas just when I’m about to enter college. My siblings went with him also but I refuse to go with them because he already paid for my college intuition and all. 

            "That ."

            "Oh well, it's fine. What's your plan?" please say you're staying here too.

            "I'm going back to my hometown." damn.

            "Oh..... okay."

            "Aaaaand I'm taking you with me."

            I stare at her in disbelief. 

            "I.... I want to introduce you to my family." She looks at me timidly.

            "What are you talking about? They knew me already."

            "I want to introduce you as my girlfriend."

            Again, I stare at her in disbelief.

            "You sure?"

            "Yeah." she smiles and kisses my forehead.

            I can’t believe she’s going to do that. Knowing how our relationship is still kind of weird for her, she must’ve been thinking about this thoroughly. I smile at her.