Men Of The House

Righteousness, Letting Go, Denial, & Ephebophilia

 

Taeyeon’s POV

            My dad couldn’t join us for dinner because he still got work to do at the office. However, dinner went very well. My little sister starts to warm up to Tiffany and my mom treats her like usual. It’s like knowing about our relationship doesn’t affect her at all. I’m so glad about that. Because usually, my dad would just follow anything my mom does. If she approves over something, than dad would approves too. But still, I’m anxious over his reaction.

            We move to the living room after we’ve finished dinner. There’s this variety show that my little sister want to watch on TV so we watch it together. I look at my girlfriend and she seems really joyful. I know she must be missing her family who’s in the other country. She told me once that my family has become her family too. You don’t know how grateful I am over my mom’s blessing. It feels damn right to have her along with my family.

            After the show’s over, my little sister has gone up to bed but my dad hasn’t come home yet. Not long after that, my mom starts to feel sleepy too, so she goes to her room also. I want to wait up for my dad, but slowly I feel drowsy too.

            “You look tired.” Tiffany scoots closer to me and touches my eyes with her fingertips.  

            “You’re not?” I embrace her. 

            “A little bit.”    

            We watch the TV for some time until she finally yawns and decides to go to bed. I walk her to the guest room.

            “If you need something, I’ll be on my room.”

            “Okaaaay.” She yawns again. I smile looking at the cute sight in front of me.

            “Goodnight then.” My back is facing her as I’m about to walk toward my room.

            “Tae, wait!”

            Before I could turn my whole body to face her, I feel her lips on my cheek and before I can even react, she already pulls away, “Goodnight, love~”

            She hurriedly backs off and closes the guest room door gently.

            I touch my cheek that she kissed earlier and smile like a big idiot. It’s just a simple gesture that’s really usual for a couple. But somehow it still makes me feel giddy.     

            I got to my room and flop on my bed. Still smiling and slowly closing my eyelids. But then I hear a knock on my door.

            “Taeyeon-ah, you’re asleep?” that’s my dad. I jolt up right away and open the door.

            “Dad!” I hug him instantly.

            “Oof! Missing your old man that badly?” he stumbles back before gaining his balance again.

            I pull away and smile at him, “Nah, just a little bit.”

            “Well, I’m the one who’s missing my little girl, badly.”

            I hug him again, hide my face in his chest, “Dad, I need to talk to you.”

            Without pulling apart, he drags me to sit on my bed.  

            “Is it about your love life?”

            I look up at him. He also knew?!

            “Your mom couldn’t stop talking about it since Christmas. She thought about how wrong it is. But then she realizes you find happiness with her. So tell me, Tae. Are you really happy?”

            “Yes, dad. I never felt like this before.”

            “You never had a boyfriend, have you? Nor a girlfriend?”

            I shake my head slowly. He heaves a sigh.

            “Honestly, rather than fussing over the gender, I’m more worried that my little girl is dating for the first time.”          

            I feel tears build up again on my eyes. I don’t even know what to say.

            “Your mom also warned me about this.” He begins to wipe my tears on my cheeks.

            “I’m scared, dad. How could I not? You and mom gave me life. I don’t want to turn my back on you guys.”

            “So you will leave her if we ask you to?”

            I feel like someone just stabs my heart. My tears pour down uncontrollably. 

            “Oh God, I’m just kidding! Stop crying, please?” He wipes my tears in a panic mode.

            “Dad! That’s not funny!” I slap his arm.

            He chuckles, “I’m sorry. I just can’t believe I’m going to lose my little girl.”

            I hug him again tightly, “I’ll always be your little girl. You’re not going to lose me, dad.”

            He my hair and scoffs, “It’s bad enough you’re living in another city right now but in a matter of time, you’re going to move to another country where it’s legal for you to get married, Tae.”

            Still having my arm around his torso, “When that time comes, will you be there to hand me over, dad?” 

            It takes some time before he answers me, “I will, my dear daughter. I'll be there.”    

            We stay in that position for a long time. With him caressing my hair and slowly I fall asleep in my dad’s arms.

 

 

            I’m awake because my cell phone on my bedside table starts buzzing madly. I push random buttons to shut the alarm from my cell phone. Just then, I realize I was tucked in neatly on my bed. The last thing I remember is falling asleep on my dad’s arms.

            I feel like crying again, remembering how understanding my parents are. They’re truly the best. I also remember how my little sister got closer to my girlfriend in a matter of hours. But there’s still one more person to go.

            Suddenly my cell phone starts buzzing again. That’s funny, I didn’t put the snoozes on active. I lazily look at my cell phone. It’s not an alarm, it’s my brother calling.  

            I push the answer button and before I can put the phone on my ear, “DID YOU JUST REJECTED MY CALL?!”

            Goodness God. So loud early in the morning!

            “I’m sorry! I thought it’s my alarm. But you don’t need to shout, you know.”

            He laughs, “I woke you, didn’t I?”

            I roll my eyes, even though he can’t see it, “You think? Why are you calling me anyway?”

            “Ouch! Really? You’re not going to tell me yourself?”

            “Tell you wha-” realization hits me, “Mom told you, didn’t she?”

            He laughs again, “She went frantic over Christmas. But somehow she sounded so calm yesterday.”

            I smile hearing his reply.

            “Anyway, so when can I meet her?”

            “Eh? It’s Tiffany, dumb . You already met her on Christmas!”

            “I know that! I mean she’s your first date, EVER. So as your big brother, I have the rights to make sure that she’s not going to break that stupid heart of yours!”

            Now you know where I get the whole orientation concept, don’t you?

            I smile wider, “Awh, come on! That won’t ever happen.”

            “You think I’ll go soft just because she’s a girl? My little sister heart is at stake here!”

            And now you know whose my mom’s genes got into.

            “You don’t care if I’m dating a girl?” 

            “I don’t care if you’re a lesbian, a biual, or even a transgender, Tae. You’re my little sister. The only thing I care about is you’re well-being.”

            Okay, what the hell is wrong with this family? They seem to love making me cry, don’t they? Tears threatening to come out again, but then he just have to say something to prevent it.

            “Honestly, I truly believe we’re siblings now, because we do have the same taste, huh? I was really going to hit on her if you didn’t start acting all weird on Christmas.” He laughs out loud.

            That’s... just..... plain weird. Suddenly image of my brother and my girlfriend TOGETHER starts flooding my mind. That’s..... GROSS!     

 


 


 

 

 

And there will be heartaches and pains, yes it will

But through it all, we will remain

In this life, we all know

Friends may come, and they may go

Through the years I know

I will stay

And in the end I know that we'll find

Love so beautiful and divine

We'll be lovers for a lifetime, yeah

And I'll stay with you

I will stay with you

 

Oh I'll stay with you through the ups and the downs

Oh I'll stay with you when no one else is around

And when the dark clouds arrive

I will stay by your side

I know we'll be alright

I will stay with you

Everything will be fine

And I will stay with you

Through the end of time

I will stay with you

 

Stay With You by John Legend