Perfect Distraction

Righteousness, Letting Go, Denial, & Ephebophilia

 

Tiffany’s POV

            My alarm got off and I immediately dismissed it. I look at Yuri’s bed and she still fast asleep. I stretch a little bit and go to the bathroom. Yuri seems so relax after the talk she had with Jessica. She goes to campus not that early anymore and she comes home just in time for dinner together with us.

            Of course, I confessed to her that I was the one who told Jessica about everything. But rather than got mad at me, she was actually grateful that I did it. She said it still hurts knowing that they can’t be together, but somehow the pain in her heart lessens.

            After I take a quick shower, I go to the kitchen and no surprise, my girlfriend is already there, cooking while humming softly. I sit on the dining chair, admiring her back. Goodness, even her back seems fascinating for me.

            She turns her head when she hears a chair being pulled and instantly smiles, “Morning~”

            “Good morning. You’re up early.” I greet her back and she just chuckles in response. It becomes our habit to wake up earlier than the others and have breakfast just the two of us before everybody else does. It’s like we’re making up for lost time. I smile contently at her back.

            “Stop it.” Suddenly she says without looking at me.

            “Stop what?” huh? What did I do?

            “Stop distracting me.”

            “I’m not doing anything!” I say defensively.

            “You’re staring at my back and smiling like an idiot.”

            That is so absurd. How could smiling and staring at someone back be a distraction? I smile mischievously as I decided to just play along. I get up from my seat and go behind her, “If staring and smiling at your back distract you so much,” I put my arm around her waist, giving her a back hug “then what if I do this.” and kiss her shoulder lightly.

            She’s the one who’s smiling like an idiot now, “Strangely, I don’t feel distracted at all.” Yeah, right.

             “Oh really?” I push her hair on one side and start nibbling on her nape.

            “O..kay-okay, stop it! You are definitely a big distraction. Can you please let go of me now?”

            I stop nibbling and put my head on her shoulder, “Never.”

            “Fany-ah...”

            “Taeyeon-ah, I was the biggest doofus on earth when I broke up with you. I would never ever let you go again.” I tighten my arms around her.

            She finally turns her body around to face me, “and I would never let you do that.” a kiss on my forehead, “but I mean it literally. I’m going to burn this scramble egg if you won’t let go your arms around me, love.”       

            An idiotic smile appears again on my face and I reluctantly unwrap my arms around her waist.

            I sit back down on my chair earlier, “What did you just call me?”

            “Hmm?” she finishes cooking and takes a seat beside me with one plate only. Yep, we’re sharing the scramble egg.

            “Did you just call me ‘love’?” she blows on the food, making sure it’s not too hot before she feeds me.

            Haven’t you realized? We didn’t have terms of endearment and that is the first time she called me not by my name.   

            “You don’t like it?”

            “I love it.”

            We continue to eat and exchange little kisses here and there. This is how I want my life would be. Knowing she’ll be in my future brings excitement and contentment inside of me.            

            Thinking about the future, the image of my (hopefully) future mother in law pops up in my mind. No matter how happy and content I am now, but it always bugs me. Sooner or later we have to face it. Her family was the main reason I broke up with her before. But now, I'm sure that no matter what her family’s response, I will never let her go again. Nevertheless, I’m very troubled about it. 

            “Tae?”

            “Mmm?” she’s chewing the food happily. Should I bring up the topic now?

            I fidget on my chair and look down on my lap. We’re so happy just now, but I can’t help to feel anxious thinking about it. 

            “What’s wrong?”

            “Umm.. when are we going to tell your family?”

            I hear no reply from her, so I look up slowly and I see her smiling a little.

            “Let’s do it now.”

            “What?!”

            She stands up from her seat, “Come on, let’s go right now!”

            “But-but Tae! I got a class today.”

            “Just skip it. We’re going to graduate soon enough, it doesn’t matter, Fany-ah. What do you say?” she holds out her hand to me.

            Instead of fear and anxiety, I see excitement and urgency from her.

            Somehow she really believes that her family would accept her. Wouldn’t they? How could I know if we prolong our curiosity?

            I stand up and take her hand.