Mom?

Righteousness, Letting Go, Denial, & Ephebophilia

 

Yuri’s POV

            Jessica asked me have I come out to my family or not. I haven’t. It’s kind of weird, knowing that I’ve been in a relationship with her for over a year, isn’t it? Well my family lives in a different town not so far away and honestly, I’m not that close with my family. Is not that I have a family problem or anything. Family means a lot to me. They come first, of course. But unlike other families, we’re just not that warm and loving with each other. Even Taeyeon said that my parents have unapproachable aura around them. Well I would say they’re more uptight rather than unapproachable. Nevertheless, they’re my family and I value them very much.

            As I grow older, the four of us (I have one big brother) got busier and every time we have family gathering, we don’t really talk much. Mainly we just talk about general stuff and I don’t really think it’s necessary to tell them about my ual orientation. Or is it?

            After Jessica asked me about it, I’m considering to break the news to my family as soon as possible. I’m pretty sure they would accept my ual orientation because my aunt is actually a lesbian and I guess my mother is already accustomed to that since she never shows any kind of disapproval over the matter.

            So here I am, having dinner with my parents and big brother on Saturday night. My hometown is not too far from the city where I study. It takes only 2 hours by train. We’re talking about my big brother before the conversation shift into me.

            “How’s college, Yuri-ah?”

            “It’s fine as usual. Actually, I want to tell you guys something.”

            “Hhhmm, what is it?”

            “I’ve met the love of my life.” I smile broadly as I can’t contain my happiness just thinking about her.

            “That’s good news. Who’s the lucky guy?” my mom, being my mom, saying it in a very collected manner.

            I chuckle at the mention of a guy, “Well actually, you knew her already, mom. It’s my housemate, Jessica.”

            My mom drops her utensils. She looks terrified.

            “Wh-what did you just say?” I take a deep breath before I answer her. This is not the reaction I was expecting. 

            “I’m gay, mom.”      

            “Are you out of your mind?!” This is definitely not the kind of reaction I was hoping for.

            “No, I’m not. I’m very conscious with my mind.” I try to hold my emotion.

            “Then you can’t be.... like that. It’s not....... right. It’s wrong!” 

            “What’s wrong with being gay?! Your sister is!”

            “WELL I DON’T EXPECT MY DAUGHTER TO BE ONE! You don’t know how much I despise her for it! I have to accept it because my whole family is okay with it. But they don’t know how I would got bullied at school because they knew my sister is a dyke!!”

            I never saw my mom lose her temper like this. My dad looks down the entire time and now my brother is avoiding my gaze. My mom rubs her temple and closes her eyes, trying to compose herself.  

            “You know what, I think you’re just confused. She is your best friend and you might be mistaken about your feelings about her.” She says it trying to sound as calm as she could.

            “What?! I am not confused, mom! This is who I am! I fell in love with a girl, and I’m not mistaken!” now it’s my turn to lose my temper.

            “Then get out from my house!” she shouts again.

            We fell into dead silence and I’m in shock over my mom’s outburst.

            “Mom....”

            “Don’t call me that! I don’t raise a daughter to be a lesbian.”

            My heart feels like it’s been stabbed. My tears start to build. She inhales deeply, trying to compose herself. 

            “I don’t accept those kind of people in my own family. Get out of here. Come when you got your conscience back.”

            “Dad...” I look at my dad, asking for support.

            He looks agitated, but then he says, “Maybe... you need to think it over.”

            WHAT?! This is unbelievable! I look over at my brother, my last hope. Just when we have eye contact, he looks down on his plate, surely he’s siding with them. I get up abruptly. I can’t contain my tears but I won’t show it to them. So I run to my room, pack all my belongings and storm out from my own house.

 

            I’m by myself in an almost empty train back to the city I currently live in. I don’t want to go back to my apartment. I told Jessica I’m going to spend this weekend with my family and if I go back there tonight, she’ll know something’s wrong. So I call my cousin to crash for the night.

            “Soonkyu-ah, you’re still up? Where are you? Are you at your house?” I don’t even bother to say hi.

            “Wow, slow down, Yul. First of all, I’m not asleep yet, since it’s Saturday night, and second of all, I’m currently not at my house, I'm hanging out with my friend.”

            “Can I crash at your place tonight?” there’s a short pause before he answers.

            “Is everything okay, Yuri-ah?”

            “Yeah. So can I?” I definitely won’t explain my situation to him on the phone. I can’t even explain myself to anyone at the moment. I still can’t wrap my head over what just happened.

            “Of course you can. Come on over. Moms would be ther-“

            “No! Don’t tell anyone I’m coming over. I’ll be at your house in 2 hours. Can you just be there to open the door? I don’t want them to worry.”  

            “Are you sure you’re okay? You don’t sound okay. Where are you right now?” he asks worriedly.

            “I’m on a train. I’ll explain everything later, Soonkyu-ah. I just... just.....” the tears I tried so hard to hold finally has threaten to come out.

            “Please, Soonkyu-ah.” And finally it pours like torrential rains on my face.

            “Alright, I’ll be there, Yul. Be careful, wherever you are, okay?”

            “Yes.... thank.... you.... thank you, Soonkyu-ah.” I try to suppress my sobs.

            “Anything for my favorite cousin.” I end the call and I pull my knees up as I hug myself, trying to ease the pain.   

 

 

Jessica’s POV

            I miss her so much!! It’s Sunday and she told me that she would be back late, telling me not to wait up for here. I haven’t seen her all day today and it’s killing me. I miss her.

            I look at the time, it’s already 11.48 pm. The girls are already inside their room. I still want to wait for her, but I’m getting sleepy too. So I decided to text her:

            ‘Baby, where are you? It’s late :( ’    

            She doesn’t reply right away. It’s making me more worried! Just when I’m about to call her, she finally texts me back:

            ‘I’m on my way. What are you doing still awake? You got class tomorrow morning. Go to sleep.’  

            ‘I don’t want to. I miss you very much.’ Yes, I do miss her THAT much.

            Again, it takes some time before she replies my text. It’s not like her, usually I would get her reply as soon as I sent her a text.

            ‘I miss you too. You’ll see me first thing in the morning. So please, go to sleep now?’

            No point to argue with her now.

            ‘Fine. But be careful okay. It’s not safe for a y girl like you to be out by herself at this time of night ;) love you.’ Can’t help to be cheesy a little bit.

            ‘I will. I love you too.’

            With that, I’m going to my room and got into bed. Not long after, I fall asleep and go to dreamland. 

            Suddenly I wake up with a jolt because I felt arms wrap around my waist. I want to scream but then I smell a familiar scent. It’s Yuri’s. I want to turn around to face her, but she holds me tight, preventing me to do so.

            “Go back to sleep, baby.” She coos and kisses my shoulder.

            I relax within her touch and goes back to sleep.