Wake Up Call

Righteousness, Letting Go, Denial, & Ephebophilia

 

Hyomin’s POV

            I’m awake right when my cell phone’s starts to ring. I don’t need to see the ID to know who’s calling me at this hour. I pick up the cell phone with a smile.

            “Good morning, beautiful.” Such a nice sentence to hear first thing in the morning, isn’t it?

            “Morning, handsome.”

            He becomes my alarm in the morning. Now who wouldn’t be blessed when they have such a convenient alarm?

            “Are you awake already?” he asks sweetly.

            “I am now.”

            He chuckles and I smile wider, “So what time should I come to your apartment later?”

            Damn, I forgot that today is they day we’re going to have the orientation dinner! I look at the bed beside mine. She’s still sleeping. Track of tears still visible on her cheeks.

            “Uh, I don’t know, Sunny-ah. Something happened last night. I’m not sure tonight’s the right time to introduce you to them.”

            “What happened? Are you okay?”

            “I’m fine. It’s my friends.”

            “Oh. Well that’s a bum. I’m looking forward to meet your friends.”

            “Really?” His statement surprised me. When I told him that I want to introduce him to my closest friends, he just agreed without showing enthusiasm or apathy.

            He chuckles again, “Of course.”

            “Aren’t you nervous?”

            “No. Why? Should I?”

            I smile hearing his reply, “No.” I look over at Taeyeon again and she’s beginning to wake up as she rubs her eyes.

            “I gotta go. I’ll let you know if the dinner is still on or not, okay?”

            “Okay. Talk to you later~”

            “Bye~” I hang up and Taeyeon’s already on a sitting position.

            “Morning, Tae.” Her eyes are red and puffy. She looks dead tired.

            “Morning.” She stifles a yawn.

            “How are you feeling?”

            She doesn’t answer me at first and just giving me a pain look.

            “Sad.... bad.... and a little mad.”

            “Are you trying to make a little poem there?” I try to crack a joke.

            She just smiles weakly at me.

            “So........... are we still on for tonight’s dinner?” I ask carefully.

            She looks at me again with weary eyes, “Sure. Why not?”

            “Won’t you and Tiffany be awkward?”

            “Not a valid reason to avoid interrogation on your boyfriend, Hyominnie.”

            I smile but try to hide it, “Awh, close call.” I snap my finger.

            “Yea, right. Get ready for class, will you?” She smiles at my silly antique and heads for bathroom.

            I hope tonight will go smoothly.              

 

 

Sooyoung’s POV

            She didn’t cry to sleep last night. Instead, she told me about this date of her. She never thought that the-random-girl-who-I-don’t-even-want-to-know-her-name would ask her out. They’re in the same class and lately they’re having lunch together in campus. Lunchtime is the only time that I’m not beside her. Because I always go together with her to and from campus.

            She slept with a smile last night. After I made sure she’s really sleeping, I went to the bathroom and cried my eyes out. I can’t believe she’s dating other people already. Maybe it’s my fault. It’s already too late for me. She’s moving on with another person and I’m too much of a coward to let her know about my feelings. Yes, I’m not denying it anymore. I love her. I am falling in love with this oblivious girl.

            I heave a sigh before getting up from my bed. Her bed is empty. That’s uncommon. Usually I would wake up before her. She must be excited about the date. I hung my head low and drag my feet to the bathroom.

            After a refreshing shower, I readied myself for today’s class and got out from my room. As I enter the kitchen, Taeyeon and Jessica are already sitting on the table, facing each other. But it seems like they haven’t realize my presence yet.

            “She broke up with you?!” Jessica is almost shouting in front of Taeyeon. Wait, who broke up?!

            “You and Tiffany broke up?!” I ask in disbelief too. I take a seat beside Taeyeon.

            “Can you both not screaming that fact in my face?” Taeyeon asks tiredly.

            “But why? Why?” Jessica asks urgently.

            “I.... I’m sorry but I don’t want to talk about it now.” Taeyeon answers and looks down on her bowl of cereal.

            Jessica takes her hand in her, “I understand.” She smiles assuring her.

            I put my arm around her shoulder.

            “Thanks guys.” She picks her spoon to eat her remaining cereal.

            “Well I gotta go take a shower. We’re going together to campus, right Soo?” Jessica stands up.

            “Sure.” I answer without looking at her.

            “Wait for me okay. I won’t be long.” With that she exits the kitchen.

            I pour cereal into my bowl. We grow into this comfortable silence. That is before Taeyeon’s question makes the situation into an uncomfortable one.

            “Jessica is dating again, huh? What do you think about that?”

            I choke on my cereal.

            “Here.” Taeyeon gives me a glass of water. After I calm down, I hope she doesn’t repeat her question. Who am I kidding? Of course she repeats it.

            “So, what do you think?”

            “About what?” stupid mouth. She’s going to ask me that dreadful question again. 

            “About Jessica dating again?” Damn.

            I look deeply into my bowl of cereal, “It’s good for her.”

            “You think so? You’re okay with that?” she stands up and put her bowl on the sink.

            I look up at her and fake a smile, “Of course. Why wouldn’t I be okay?”

            “Becau-” saved by the bell. Well not literally a bell. Tiffany just enters the kitchen.

            “Good mor-” she looks right at Taeyeon. So does Taeyeon. “-ning” Instantly they both look away. Okay, definitely awkward.

            What should I do? WHAT SHOULD I DO?! The atmosphere is really awkward! God help me please.

            “I’m done here. See you guys tonight at dinner.” Finally Taeyeon breaks the awkward silence and left the kitchen without looking at Tiffany again. Even though she passes her on the way out.         

            Tiffany just stands where she is. Seems like she’s going to cry.

            “Fany-ah, are you alright?”

            “I’m okay.” She sits opposite me, teary eyes. Those tears would come out in no time. “Did she tell you?”              

            I just nod. Just like I expected. She cries.

            I stand up and go beside her to give her a hug. I don’t know why they broke up, but getting over a broken heart surely is hell.

            This is so messed up. Tonight will be a bumpy ride.