Epilogue

Righteousness, Letting Go, Denial, & Ephebophilia

 

 

            1 year, 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days after they graduated from college. 

            A young woman is sitting by herself on a table for six in a restaurant. She looks excited, but after a couple of minutes, she’s starting to check her cell phone. Another 5 more minutes, she looks annoyed. 3 minutes later, she starts calling someone.

            “Where the hell are you?!”

            “A ‘hello’ would be nice, Hyominnie.”

            “Hellooooo, where are you, Tae?!”

            “I’m almost there. Relax. Is Tiffany there yet?”

            “No, I’m all by myself!”

            “Really? She just told me that she’s there already.”

            “Well, she’s not here.” Hyomin rolls her eyes and she glances at the entrance of the restaurant. 

            “Oh, there she is! Fany-ah!!” she waves her hand to Tiffany, “She just enters the restaurant, Tae. Hey, Sooyoung’s with you, right?” Tiffany beams her infamous smile and walks toward the table where Hyomin is.

            “Yep, she’s right beside me. Be there in a jiffy.”

            “Okay, bye!” Hyomin puts her cell phone on the table and stands up when Tiffany approaches her.

            “Hyominnie! Oh my God, it’s been months! I miss you!” the two girls got in a tight hug.            

            “I miss you too, Fany-ah! How are you?” they pull away and both sit down side by side.

            “I’m fine. Nice job, wonderful girlfriend, life couldn’t be better.” She smiles, showing how content she is now. “How are you, Ms. CEO?” she says teasingly, “and where’s Soonkyu?” 

            “I’m not the CEO yet. Geez, just thinking about taking over the company gives me chills already.”

            “Sooner or later it’ll be yours, Hyominnie.”

            “I know.” She heaves a sigh. 

            “Anyway, where’s your boyfriend? I haven’t seen him in a long time!” Tiffany looks around to find Hyomin’s boyfriend.

            “I didn’t bring him here. I thought it’s supposed to be just the six of us.”

            “Oh, really? Yul told me she’d bring her girlfriend.”

            “SERIOUSLY?! Yuri got a new girlfriend?” 

            Before Tiffany can answer her, “HYOMIN-AH!!” Sooyoung storms to hug Hyomin and almost make her fall from her seat.

            “Sooyoungie!”

            Taeyeon kisses her girlfriend’s cheek swiftly before she hugs Hyomin. Sooyoung hugs Tiffany too before she sits beside Hyomin. 

            “Girlfriend’s first, best friend’s second, huh?” Hyomin says teasingly after she broke the hug with Taeyeon.

            “Aaaawwh! She’s my best friend too, Hyominnie.”

            “But I haven’t seen you in months! I want a kiss too.” Hyomin offers her cheek to Taeyeon jokingly.

            “Nuh-uh. Her lips are exclusively mine!” Tiffany quickly pulls Taeyeon to sit beside her. Taeyeon grins hearing her girlfriend’s statement.

            Hyomin shakes her head and smiles, glad that her best friends are still the same even after a year being together, “You guys are still the lovey dovey dorky couple.” 

            “You tell me. I got enough dose of THAT every single day before I move out.” Sooyoung says as she reads the menu.

            “You moved out?!”

            “Yeah.” She smiles sheepishly at Hyomin.

            “Why didn’t you tell me? When did you move? Where did you live now?”

            “Whoa, easy Hyominnie.” Sooyoung laughs because Hyomin’s questions came like an interrogation, “I just move a couple blocks from them and it’s only been a month.”

            “She’s living with a guy now.” Taeyeon adds that specific information and looks forward for Hyomin’s reaction.

            “WHAT?! You got a boyfriend? Aren’t you........... gay?”           

            Sooyoung coughs due to Hyomin’s so-called-accusation. Taeyeon and Tiffany just laugh.

            “Ehem. Actually, I’m....not.”

            “You’re not?! But you were head over heels for Jessica!”

            Sooyoung scratches her head, confused how to answer her best friend’s question, “Uh, yea... that was really stupid of me. Jessica is my best friend. Maybe I was just...... confused back then?”  

            “You still look confused even now, Soo.” Taeyeon remarks. 

            “She’s in between now, Hyominnie. She can’t put a finger whether she’s straight, gay, or bi.” Tiffany explains to Hyomin.

            “So, the guy you live with now, he’s not your boyfriend?”

            “No. He’s my colleague and also happens to be my high school friend. Taeyeon knows him.”

            “Of course I know him! We work together in the same company, so you’re colleague is my colleague, Soo.” Taeyeon says, annoyed.

            “Hey, I think that’s Yuri!” Tiffany says excitedly when she sees someone on the entrance. Everybody turn their head to see and delighted when they confirmed that it’s really their used-to-be housemates.

            “Girls!” Yuri half runs to where her friends are.

            “Yul!!!”

            She hugs her friends one by one.

            “Wow, I miss you girls!” Yuri sits down on the empty seat beside Tiffany.

            “We miss you too, Yuri-chan!” Sooyoung says jokingly.

            “Ah, this is so nice! All of us being together like this. I wonder where Jessica though. She told me she’s near.” Hyomin checks her cell phone.

            “So, how’s everybody?” Yuri asks.

            “You came just in time, Yul. I was interrogating this girl right here about moving in with a male specimen.”

            “Woah! You’re straight now, Soo?”

            Again, Sooyoung almost choke hearing her friend’s assumption.

            “I rather we don’t talk about my ual orientation. I confessed, I don’t know what I am now.” She lets out a tired sigh.

            “Hey, it’s okay, Soo. We don’t need to label everything.” Tiffany says. Hyomin pats Sooyoung’s back.

            “Yeah, when you eventually find the one, everything else doesn’t matter.” Taeyeon adds up.

            “Thanks, guys.” Sooyoung smiles at her friends, “Enough about me. How about the others? How are you, Yuri-ah?”

            “I’m great, Soo. It’s all good with me. Oh wait, where’s Soonkyu?”

            “I didn’t ask him to come because I thought it’s going to be only the 6 of us tonight.”

            “Oh? It’s not going to be just the 6 of us?” Taeyeon asks.

            “Someone’s bringing her new girlfriend.” Tiffany says teasingly toward Yuri, “I’m dying to know who she is, Yul!”    

            Yuri grins, “You guys knew her already.”

            The others look more confused. Before anybody can utter a word, Yuri is on her feet.

            “There she is.” Yuri smiles like she never smiles before. Everybody looks toward the entrance and they can’t believe their eyes.

            “JESSICA?!”

            “Girls! Oh my God, I miss all of you so much!”

            She hugs them and they just hug her back automatically. Still can’t absorb what Yuri’s indicating earlier. Jessica finally sits on the only vacant seat, which is between Yuri and Sooyoung.

            “So, what did I miss?”

            The others just look at Jessica and Yuri.

            “Um.. I was about to tell them about us.”

            “Oh.” Jessica’s smile can part the ocean now.

            “Well, we’re back together, girls.” Jessica announces as she intertwines her fingers with Yuri’s. 

            Everybody looks baffled. Surely, a lot happened in 1 year, 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days.