34. First Act Of Defiance

Royal Court

First Act Of Defiance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Luna unnie you ready?” Suzy called as she walked into said girl’s room.

“Suzy? What are you doing here it’s school hours?!” Luna asked when she saw her younger sister.

“Making sure you’re going to choir practice. Like I promised.” Suzy grinned. “And don’t worry its lunch break and I have a free period after as well.”

“I’m actually doing this aren’t I?” Luna asked in concern. She had been debating all day whether she should go or not. She was dressed and ready to go, but the thought of actually going on her own accord was still a bit over whelming. The last few times she snuck out of the palace was because Amber had dragged her out.

“Yes you are. No backing out.” Suzy said, her tone showing she is obviously not taking ‘no’ for an answer.

“Well you better drag me out before I regret…” Luna sighed, pretty sure she would have backed out if Suzy hadn’t come to get her.

“Yay let’s go!” Suzy exclaims happily.

 

Suzy takes a hold of her sister’s hand and they happily walk out. When they exit the south wing, where Luna resides, they take a turn that heads towards the central court of the palace.

 

“Wait shouldn’t we be going to through the servants’ quarters?” Luna stopped to ask.

“Servants’ quarters… ahhhh you’ve been following Amber unnie around too much.” Suzy chuckled softly at her sister’s innocence. Unlike Amber, Suzy had always used the main entrance. She always found it funny how her sister was constantly battling against her poor maid whenever she tries to leave the palace. Mistress Jung doesn’t mind that Amber goes into town. Her problem is that her daughter always goes when she was supposed to be having princess lessons. Frustration is an understatement for Mistress Jung’s case.

 

“We can use the front door you know. Much easier and no need to walk through the fields.” Suzy informed her sister.

“But…” Luna hesitated.

“You better get used to it unnie. You’re going to be using this door very often.” Suzy teased.

 

Suzy continued to pull Luna through the palace with Luna trailing behind, still a bit uneasy about the whole thing.

 

“Luna where are you going?” Suddenly came a voice from behind them.

“Mother.” Luna curtsied, greeting her mother with Suzy following suit. Luna’s face suddenly turned pale at the sight of the woman and her entourage of court ladies.

“Shouldn’t you be going to etiquette class at this time of day?” Mistress Baek asked in a stern voice.

“Ermm.. I… I’m going to choir practice mother.” Luna stuttered.

“Choir practice? Don’t be silly child.” Her mother chuckled at the idea.

“I… I’ve joined the local choir mother a…and I promised I would take part in the annual music festival.” Luna tried to explain.

“Why that is the most absurd thing I have heard in while.” Mistress Baek continued with an amused smile on her face.

 

“Shiyoung umma, Luna unnie is really passionate about singing. Please let her continue going to choir.” Suzy spoke, trying to convince her half-mother.

“Suzy, although I don’t really understand your actions at times, I do see the reason why you have chosen to educate. However Luna is different and I don’t think you should be encouraging her to be doing such reckless things. Behind my back none the less.” Mistress Baek lectured.

“But there is nothing reckless about singing Shiyoung umma.” Suzy continued, not backing down.

 

“Umma I want to go. Please let me go.” Luna spoke out. Mistress Baek looked at her daughter with a mix of disbelief and shock.

“No no no, it is far too dangerous out there.” Mistress Baek stood her ground.

“Our kingdom is a perfectly safe place Shiyoung umma. Beside we have many friends in town who will help keep Luna unnie safe.” Suzy tried to persuade.

“No I simply won’t allow it.” Mistress Baek replied in defiance.

 

“What is this commotion?”

“Umma!” “Hye In umma.” “Hye in unnie.” All three greeted at the sight of the Queen.

 

“Shouldn’t you be in school Suzy?” The Queen asked as she looked between the three women.

“I was umma. But I came back to Luna unnie to choir practice.” Suzy relied.

 

“Choir practice? Since when did you join the choir dear?” The Queen asked Luna gently.

“Last week Hye In umma.” Luna replied meekly.

“Shiyoung umma won’t let unnie go anymore.” Suzy added as she was sure her mother would make it so that Luna could go.

“Well I don’t see what the problem is. Why won’t you let her go Shiyoung-ah?” The Queen asked.

“Unnie she barely knows her way around. I can’t have her roaming around without knowing whether she is safe or not.” Mistress Baek tried to reason, although she knew she wasn’t going to win this time around.

 

“I’m plenty sure that our kingdom is safe enough.” The Queen commented.

“But..” Mistree Baek started.

“Remember what our husband said. Let our children experience their own lives. If Luna has found her passion in singing then let her sing. I’m sure Suzy won’t mind escorting her if you’re worried about her going alone.” The Queen reasoned, knowing full well that Mistress Baek could not refuse if their husband was mentioned.

“Shiyoung umma, I can assure you that Luna unnie will never be alone when outside the palace gates.” Suzy said with determination.

 

Mistress Baek looked between the three women going against her. It was an argument she was not going to win.

“Fine, but make sure you are back by 6pm you understand.” She sighed, giving in.

“But choir ends at 7pm…” Luna slowly commented. Mistress Baek’s face started going a bit dark.

“Make sure you’re no later than 8pm then, okay dear?” The Queen chuckled happily.

“Yes Hye In umma. Umma thank you for letting me go.” Luna smiled happily at the Queen before taking her mother’s hands to show her gratitude.

“Goodbye.” Both girls curtsied and were gone before Luna’s mother could change her mind.  

 

Mistress Baek could only look on and sigh, a hand reaching for her forehead as she felt a headache forming.

“Speaking of letting our children out, you have got to let Krystal out more Shiyoung-ah.” The Queen suggested.

“I think one daughter is enough for now unnie. I don’t think I can take much more of this at this moment in time.” Mistress Baek replied.

“Ok ok, shall we get going? Ji Eun is waiting for us.” The Queen chuckled. Both ladies then headed towards the garden in search of their third sister, with their court ladies following closely behind.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ * ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

As the two princesses neared the palace gates, a figure could be spotted standing just beyond. Luna didn’t seem take much notice of the person at first, thinking it was just some random person. As they got closer and closer she started to recognise the man, even though his back was facing them. When they reached the gates, the guards bowed at them and signalled for them to stand back so that they could pull open the gates for them. The man beyond the gates turned around at the squeaking of the gates.

 

“Afternoon Princesses.” Yesung greeted with a courteous bow.

“Yesung oppa? What are you doing here?” Luna questioned in confusion.

“Why to you to choir practice of course.” Yesung said happily.

 

“I made sure he would come. No need to thank me.” Suzy whispered to Luna, making the older girl blush.

“Well I better be back off to school then! Sungmin oppa will throw a fit if I’m late. Take care of Luna unnie for me oppa.” Suzy announced loudly as she started to walk away. Luna tried to hold on to her but all Suzy did was look back at her sister and nodded her head towards the man, making signals to her sister as subtly as she could.

“Byeeeeee.” Suzy called over to the couple when she finally detached her sister’s hand from her.

 

There was a moment of awkwardness as Suzy left. Yesung was standing there stiffly while Luna’s eyes kept shifting, not quite sure where she should be looking. Yesung cleared his throat.

“Shall we get going then Princess?” Yesung asked.

“Luna.” The girl said.

“Huh?” Yesung looked confused.

“Call me Luna.” Luna smiled as lifted her head properly and looked at the man.

 

“Well then, Luna. Shall we go to choir practice now?” Yesung asked again, this time with a bit more flair as he waved his arms towards the direction of the church.

“We shall Yesung oppa.” Luna chuckled at his silliness. They started chatting comfortably as they headed off into the distance.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Miss goody-two-shoes defies her mother!

Gasp! XD

Thanks for reading

~~~(^__^)~~~