9. Political Affairs

Royal Court

Political Affairs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

For some time, the kingdom had been in rivalry with the southern kingdom. For a while it was just petty issues like crops being stolen or immigration between the two nations. However a more pressing matter was coming into play. The King’s sons and family as well as his closest advisors had been called to an emergency meeting. They took their places in the Parliamentary office and waited.

 

"We have reason to believe that the southern kingdom wants to take over ours." One of the chief advisors said seriously.

The Duke scoffed, "Again? What evidence do you have? For years we have rumoured and speculated a takeover for what? Nothing! This is a waste of my time, Min-" The Duke began getting out of his chair.

"Sit. Down." The King said quietly. The Duke frowned and sat down. The advisor carried on with his report.

"We sent two messengers to the valley where they train their soldiers. The rest you should hear from them." The advisor beckoned them in.

 

Two tall guards staggered in breathing heavily. They bowed deeply and waited for command.

"Tell us every detail." The King said calmly.

"Your majesty, the armies they were building up...there was mass mobilization, practising routines and increasing the size of their troops on a daily basis your majesty." One of them panted.

"We would easily beat them~" The Duke waved his hand.

The messenger shook his head, "No disrespect sire, but they outnumber us 3-1" The duke smiled.

 

"3 to 1? You misunderstand. We have the best army in the world as we all know!" The Duke pointed at his sons and at the rest of the group. Prince Minho nodded. Changmin scowled.

"I don't think that is the case anymore father." Changmin spoke up. "We HAD the best army in the world. 10 years ago, times have changed, technology has changed, and I don't think we should underestimate them...” He looked at his cousins for support.

"I also do not think it is wise to approach with combat." Prince Leeteuk nodded at Changmin. “Changmin is right, we can’t underestimate the opposition now. Times have changed.”

 

“Hyung, peace talks and conferences won’t make the slightest difference.” Heechul said dully as he played with his cat Heebum. “They won’t follow what we agreed on in previous treaties and carry on playing around , next thing we know we’ve lost our kingdom. How often have you seen them uphold their end of the bargain? Never. I for one am not willing to let our kingdom go to the hands of some... Barbarian country!” He said angrily. “If we do not fight, we lose our home, our people, our heritage. It’s as simple as that.” The Duke nodded in agreement.

 

“But surely there is a way which does not involve the death of hundreds possibly thousands of innocent people!” Leeteuk retorted. 

“If our enemy are superior, we could be slaughtered! Then we lose everything.” Heechul stared at his brother seriously. “I bet the men of this land would gladly die for their kingdom” Heechul said proudly.

Leeteuk sneered “Since when did you know what the men of this kingdom would think?”

Heechul threw his head back and laughed, “And you do hyung?”

Leeteuk got up, Heechul following in quick succession, glaring at each other viciously.

“THAT'S ENOUGH.” The King bellowed. The Princes did not break from their glare but sat down. Heebum meowed quietly, ignored by his owner.

 

“I agree with Leeteuk hyung. We should at least start with peace talks. For all we know we could be underestimating the entire situation and organising potentially a fatal move” Siwon said calmly. Heechul patted Heebum softly. Everyone looked at the King.

“Sire, what do you think we should do?” Han Geng asked. “Whatever your decision, our embassy and its people will stand by you.” The King nodded in appreciation.

“We will go with Siwon’s method.” He said calmly. 

“A waste of time!” The Duke hissed

“Why don’t you USE that time to train the army?” The King growled back.

 

“Sorry to interrupt” Minho started to say, “but may I say as part of our defence force I think we do not lack in skill, weaponry or courage. Despite what Changmin hyung says, he is not the one who works amongst these men and do not know their spirit or what they are capable of. Should we be attacked I am 100% sure that these men will defend our kingdom with pride and skill. As wise old men once said war is wit not force.” Minho looked proudly at the King.

The King looked at him with surprise that the youngest among them is the one to be suggesting such a thing.

 

“Do you know what you are saying? You are out of your mind , it’s 3 to 1!” Changmin said angrily.

“We have won great wars in the past with an even less fair ratio!” Minho retorted.

“Not with the gunpowder of modern war!” Changmin glared

“Why must you always go against me! I know these men and they know what they are doing!” Minho shouted angrily.

“That confidence of yours it’s..” Changmin started getting worked up.

 

“Enough!” Their father roared. “What is this between brothers!?”

 

“Personally I agree with Minho” Heechul said with a smirk.

“But the risk! You’re putting our whole kingdom at risk!” Leeteuk shouted at his brother unable to control himself any longer.

“Isn’t our kingdom already at risk! What if they shoot down our peace maker and start firing canons at us!!” Heechul stood up suddenly and yelled back, unaware of the cat on his lap.

 

“I think the best would be to initiate both methods alongside each other” Hangeng thought, silencing the room.

“If you really want the army to go in at least let the peace talks happen first, take the army too, but only as a backup. We only attack when the other party attacks” Youngwoon nodded agreeing with Hangeng.

“I. Said. No. WAR!” Leeteuk shouted at him.

“Your highness it’s the only way to cover all the risks!” Youngwoon replied restraining himself.

 

“I’ve made up my mind” The King spoke, the entire room fell quiet.

“We will go with Hangeng and Youngwoon’s plan, as Minho is confident about his army you will be the one to lead them.” He nodded at Minho. Minho grinned proudly.

 “..however you will follow the command of the peace maker ” Minho frowned upon hearing this part.

“ Who will take this post?”

“Uncle I will, I’ll make sure Minho won’t make any rash decisions” Changmin answered hastily glaring at his brother.

“Good”

“But father! Minho doesn’t know what he’s doing!” Leeteuk reasoned.

“That, is my final decision” He looked at his son sternly “Office dismissed.” The King stood up and left followed by his advisors. There was a cold chill in the air- the entire Kingdom had been shaken. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oooo ~ some serious stuff ~~

hehe sorry its a bit late but here you go ~

Thanks for reading ~

~~~(^__^)~~~