18. Pride And Prejudice

Royal Court

Pride And Prejudice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~Heechul POV~~ 

The Queen or mother, as she would like me to call her despite not being my mother, called Leeteuk, Siwon, Seunghyun and myself to her library to discuss some matters that had arisen over the last few days. She had a stern face on.

“As you know boys, you’re father-uncle is very sick.” She said sadly. As we would’ve noticed since she locks him out of his office and increased our work load. Although this time it seems the future is rather bleak and I didn’t like what would become of it.

“Is he going to be alright?” Siwon asked worriedly. The Queen sighed.

“I’m not sure my dear,” She said tears welling up in her eyes. “But we need to keep looking after him. Who knows, he may get better and these troubled times will pass. But either way we should prepare for the future should he...” She stopped and struggled to get the final word out. We nodded in understanding, it was an inevitable event that we couldn’t avoid.
 

“This means we need to appoint an heir. Now it is out of the three of you, Leeteuk, Heechul and Siwon. But the heir of the throne must have a wife, this is clearly stated in our Kingdom’s ancient law as you all know. Until any further plans are made we five will be the highest authority throughout the lands, however you must report everything to me before it is finalised.” The Queen said seriously. But what really bugged me was the idea of marriage~ Whenever I hear that word it equals pressure~ pressure to do things I’m not ready to do.

“I’m going for a breather.” I stood to leave. Siwon tried to follow me but the Queen stopped him. Good. I can’t stand it when people try to convince me otherwise. As I walked along the courtyard I bumped into Sulli. Sulli is a nice girl, she can be bratty at times but I seem to connect with her quite well.
 

“Oppa!” She smiled.

“Hey Sulli-ah~ how are you?”

“Ah I’m okay, I just went to see Minah- unnie with Luna and Krystal~ she’s ill” Sulli said.
“Ahhhh, I see.” I replied walking with her.
“Oppa I met a friend of Minah’s today~ Her name was Lee Sohee I think~”

“Oh yes?” I said dully. To be fair, I didn’t want to know about it.

“That girl’s manners are so bad oppa~ a mixture of pride and impertinence; she can’t seem to hold a conversation without arguing, no style, no beauty. Krystal thought the same. I saw her briefly this morning and she looked appalling! In a hurry to see Minah~ ” She babbled on. We walked into the drawing room where there was a girl sitting.

"Lee Sohee-shi " Sulli called in surprise. The girl looked up from her book and bowed slightly. I can see where they’re coming from, not even moving to greet a Prince. I simply chose to ignore her presence and picked up a book and sat down to read it. Sulli picked up a pack of cards from the table which I guess were from previously playing with Krystal.
 

“Would you like to play cards?” Sulli asked. The girl declined without looking away from her book.
“Do you like reading Sohee-shi?” Sulli asked cautiously, “You seem the type that only likes to read.”

"I am not a great reader, and I have pleasure in many things." She said calmly but there was a slight annoyance in her voice. She then got up to look for more books around the room.

"I don’t read much myself but you are a great reader right oppa? You have such an enormous library!” Sulli said still trying to make conversation with the girl while pulling me along.

"It ought to be good," I replied, "It has been the work of many generations."

"And then you have added so much to it yourself, you are always buying books." Sulli smiled.

"I don’t understand the neglect of a family library these days, people seem to have lost awareness of the importance of reading." I said dully flicking through the pages of the book.

"Neglect! I wouldn’t neglect anything that can add to the beauties of a noble place. Oppa, when you build your house, I wish it would be as amazing as this library." Sulli said.

"As do I" I said softly. I do wish to leave the castle to build my own home, to create a place which I can truly call my own. However my status in life stops me from doing so.

Sohee-shi seemed to have grown bored with searching and returned with one in her hand. Instead of starting her book she drew near the card-table, and stationed herself behind Sulli, to observe the game.

"It seems forever since I’ve seen Luna unnie but she’s grown so much” Sulli continued, changing the topic. “I’ve never met anybody quite like her. So nice and polite! And so extremely accomplished! She’s got such a great voice!" She smiled as she carried on playing.

"I also think it is quite amazing how young ladies can have patience to be as very accomplished as they all are." I said in reply, "but I hardly know many women who are as accomplished as my dear sister."

"Yes it’s quite amazing. All of them are accomplished. They all know how to do many arts such as paint tables, cover screens, and net purses since a young age. I don’t know anyone who cannot do these things.” Sulli replied seemingly impressed with these common skills.

"What you say is quite true. But the word seems to be applied to many a woman who seem to master arts the majority have already mastered. I am very far from agreeing with you in your estimation of ladies in general. I cannot boast of knowing more than half-a-dozen among my acquaintances, that are really accomplished." I said dully. I unconsciously looked over at Sohee-shi at this moment but she seemed uninterested in what was being said and seemed to have reverted her attention to her previously chosen book.

"That cuts me out of that list of accomplished women then…" Sulli said thinking upon what she said.

"Then," Sohee-shi suddenly said without looking up from her book , "you must comprehend a great deal in your idea of an accomplished woman."

"Yes, I do comprehend a great deal in it." I replied, rather stunned that she actually speaks.

Sulli decided to pipe up at this moment, "Oh of course ~ accomplished women must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to be called accomplished, and besides all this, she must possess a certain something~ in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions."

"Yes she must possess these qualities," I added, "and to all this she must yet add something more substantial like the improvement of her mind by extensive reading."

Sohee-shi slammed her book down at this moment but her exterior remained calm. Sulli looked up in shock at her actions.

"I am no longer surprised at you knowing ONLY six accomplished women. I wonder how you know ANY." She said calmly but with a harsh tone to her words.

"Do you have so little faith in your own gender that you think it is not possible?"I replied, challenging her words.

"I’ve never met a single woman who possesses all those qualities let alone the half-a-dozen you claim to be acquainted with"
“All women should possess those qualities in order to be a decent woman.” I said a matter-of-factly.
“A decent woman?!” Sohee-shi said in disgust. “You couldn’t distinguish a decent woman if your life depended on it!”


“Well I for one can tell that at least you do not belong in that category. You are nothing more than a simpleton, a normal village girl.” I sneered angrily. I hate people who disagree with me.
“At least I know what life is really like, unlike you, you pompous fool.” She angrily remarked before storming out of the room, quickly slamming the door with so much force that it could have fallen off its hinges. 

“What a ferocious girl!” Sulli said quietly, stunned by the girl. Ferocious was an understatement compared to that girl. No one has ever spoken to me in such a tone, not even my mother.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And hence we open up a new leaf ~

Another story plot to add to the other million we already have XD

It was difficult trying to find a way to approach these two since it seemed rather random that they would ever actually meet properly

Nikkii solved that problem

Fan of English literature would recognise this plot from Pride and Prejudice

It seem just right for what we were looking for so we have based their initial meeting on it

If you're wondering, no we do not plan on following the story plot of P&P ~ we have something else in mind ~ 

Thanks for reading 

~~~(^__^)~~~