20. Open Throne

Royal Court

Open Throne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The death of the late king shook the whole Kingdom leaving it in mourning. Everyone dressed in black and went about life as usual but at a loss of direction. Even the ignorant children who did not quite grasp the situation, became less jumpy, affected by the gloomy atmosphere. Since the King left such an ambiguous will, they could not tell what the future will become or who will be their next leader, making them concerned for their own and their countries well being. The Park family are known to be very humble and caring but that was under a humble and caring leader – now that he is gone no one knows what will become of this family – will everyone continue as they are or will some turn the tables to get what they want?

“I don’t agree, we need a new King right NOW!” The Duke shouted slamming his hands on the desk in front of him. The reading of the King’s last will was altogether quite peaceful until it came to the last part ~ the heir to the throne.

“But the will clearly states that no prince may take the throne without a wife”, the Will reader said, stating what must be complied with.

“We do have a married prince for heaven’s sake!” The Duke however continued to argue his case.

“But Prince Seunghyun is not of the direct line”

“And neither do I want the throne” Seunghyun chipped in, trying to help out the poor Will reader who was threatening his own life by going against the Royal Duke.

“When a Kingdom needs a King you have no other choice then to oblige”, the Duke said addressing his son.

“That is only in the situation that there is no one else but me, but it so happens I have five male cousins who are under the direct line.” The Duke sent his eldest son a deadly look at the statement which he couldn’t argue with.

The other Princes had nothing they really have to say on the matter as all five of them respect their father greatly and believes everything their father has appointed must have a reason. The twins who never had anything to do with politics simply sat at the back of the room in a daze, letting the elders sort out the problem. They knew no matter what happened the throne will never be theirs, and they don’t particularly want it either seeing what it did to their father. Leeteuk and Siwon were listening intently although with no intention of interrupting and Heechul didn’t even take any notice.

“Pardon sire Prince Seunghyun has a point - it also states that this is between the three Princes of the main family - Prince Leeteuk, Prince Heechul and Prince Siwon.” The Will Reader interrupted again resulting in him receiving an evil glare from said Duke.

“Then why aren’t they married then? It’s clear that the married Prince should take the throne ~ he is also one of the eldest amongst them – why is everyone failing to see the urgency of this matter!” The Duke challenged again trying to win a battle with a piece of paper since no one seems to be bothered to contradict him otherwise. Still the rest of the room failed to show any need to listen to the Duke and his apparent ‘political urgencies’. But there was some truth to what he was saying, without a King the people will become restless.

“If you had your way Seunghyun wouldn’t be married either.” The Queen remarked suddenly with a sharp look in the direction of her brother-in-law. This caught the Duke off guard, leaving him momentarily frozen unable to think of a new comeback.

This did not last long as the Duke made a ist remark to counteract the Queen, “No offense dear Queen but shouldn’t your place be at the household court ~ not the political court” he said with a smirk.

The Queen didn’t even take any notice of the offence in the Duke’s statement, she had more important matters than a crazy babbling brother.

“If you would like to question my late husband’s last wish then do so but I assure you you’re not going to get anywhere with it and I think we’ve all had enough of your spouting for one day. Out of you three who is currently in a relationship?” The Duke was absolutely gobsmacked by this remark and finally decided to lay low and see what happens in the next few minutes.

At the Queen’s questioning the three eligible Princes all looked at each other before Leeteuk raised his hand alone. Feeling a little embarrassed he put his hand back down and started staring at the carpet and shifting his feet uncomfortably.

The Queen was quite surprised by the fact her own son was in a relationship that she didn’t know about. Everyone else also seemed pretty surprised with the exception of Heechul who was acting like it was old news. The twins could be seen fidgeting in their seats as they fought the urge to pounce on their brother and question him, but they knew this was not the right situation to be doing so.

Instead the Queen took their place and started asking a million questions, “Leeteuk when was this? Who are you dating? Why do I not know of this?”

“Sorry Umma, no one really knows except for Youngwoon and Kyuhyun” The Prince said causing confusion at the mention of the Police chief.

“Kyuhyun? I understand Youngwoon but Kyuhyun?” The Queen questioned.

“Well you see I am dating Kyuhyun’s older sister Sunye ~ We’ve been seeing each other for about two weeks now.” Leeteuk explained as his face started to turn a light shade of pink.

“Ahh I see~” The Queen said slowly before a smile spread across her face. “I approve ~ she is a lovely girl ~”

The eldest Prince returned the smile, happy that his relationship was approved.

“Well it seems like we won’t have to wait too long until we get our new King,” The Queen said satisfactorily and continued to end the meeting.  

“This is the final decree ~ until an eligible Prince is wed we will have split responsibility for this Kingdom. All political decisions will be made by all Princes including Changmin and Minho when they return, Duke Dae Myung and myself. Should there be split views the final decision will be taken by the highest ranking official in parliament. Are there any objections?”

The Queen asked that question directing it specifically at the Duke, he showed signs of wanting to protest but in the end decided to keep quiet for now.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And so we open a new chapter for the Kingdom~

Who do you want to be King?

Who would make the best King?

Well carry on reading to find out! =D

Thanks for reading ^_^

~~~(^__^)~~~