1. The King's Ball

Royal Court

 

The King's Ball

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The courtyard outside the Palace gates was buzzing with anticipation. A lucky fifty had been selected to join in the festivities to be held at the Royal Palace that night. They chattered away dressed in their finest clothes, women in long dresses hoping to impress and men in their finest attire.

“I can’t believe we’re going to meet the Royal family” One excited lady whispered to another. She squealed in excitement.

“The Royal Princes are going to be there! They have to be right? It’s the King’s birthday! How do I look?” Many similar conversations were taking place, the ladies frantically looking in mirrors checking their looks; who knows they may be lucky enough to enchant a Prince that night.

 

A small group of eight had formed separately at the back of the main body.

“Henli where did you put my glove?” One of the females said worriedly. Henli manically checked his pockets and pulled a glove out. “Here you go sis.” he smiled cheekily at her. She hit him softly.

“Cheeky” she murmured. “Hyoyeon how do I look?” She asked one of the girls next to her. Said girl smiled softly and replied, “Beautiful, Minah you’re hair’s getting blown everywhere” The boys left the three girls to fix each other’s appearance, it’s not every day you get to attend the King’s birthday in such beautiful clothing.

“Do you think we have a chance with the princesses?” the naïve Henli pitched up, looking excitedly at the older boys. One of them shook his head.

“What are the chances of us commoners getting with a princess?” Said Yesung, the ever rational mind among them.

“Henli how many times have you seen a commoner get with royalty?” His older brother Sungmin questioned. Zhou Mi who was standing silently among them became stiff at the statement, but this was overlooked as Hen Li pouted and moaned, “aww, why?”

“Sungmin and Yesung are right. The royalty need to keep the blood line going and this old tradition has never been tainted. The Princesses probably all have husbands picked for them.” Yesung’s younger brother Ryeowook sighed. “But it would be nice to get married to a Princess”

 

“YAH!!” Sohee shouted. “It’s starting!” The eight of them gave each other a final check before the crowd slowly entered. It was stunning. The long hallway was full of people, an orchestra in the far corner with a large stairway at the head of the room.

“Wow.”

The all stared in awe. The room was round with a huge chandelier in the middle made from what seemed to be crystal. The walls were light marble with golden pillars around the room with a servant at every one, ready to serve. There were two sets of staircases, an east and west leading to the two thrones at the far side of the room with four butlers standing near them. The orchestra were playing a series of waltzes causing the commoners to dance and socialise. After taking a while to soak up the atmosphere the group of eight dispersed into different directions as they followed whatever took their interest, unconcerned with what was happening at the far side of the hall.

 

The Royal family were descending from the marble stairways. Eight Princes, three Princesses, the Duke and the two mistresses.  Everyone stared at them, men in awe of the Princess’ beauty, women in heated discussion about who the best looking Prince was.

 

“Why what a party we have here! Boys, go and...Mingle” The Duke smiled pushing his sons and nephews forward. The Princes went to find their friends. The party was in full swing when the huge entrance opened once again.

 

The Kang family entered the room. The crowd did not seem to notice but they dispersed quickly. “Brothers, what is this?” Lady Sulli looked at the crowd in disgust. Her eldest brother Lord Youngwoon smiled “Go and have fun.” He gently nudged his younger sister towards the crowd. She looked at him in repugnance and walked off towards the throne. Youngwoon sighed and went to find Prince Leeteuk.

 

“Prince Heechul!!” Heechul smirked as he leaned on a pillar close to the throne.

“Ahh Sulli, just the girl I was looking for. There’s no one to talk to. Everyone’s mingling with the “commoners”” He glared at the large crowd.

“I know right! Why do we have to do this anyways?” Sulli groaned crossing her arms in disgust.

“Well we can’t exactly defy the king’s orders now can we.” Heechul smirked. Sulli leaned on the other side of the pillar and sighed loudly. Pointing at a boy near the buffet she giggled. “Hey your highness, look at that guy over there. I bet he’s never had such luxurious food before, he looks so confused.” She snickered.

 

At the buffet table Ryeowook was carefully tasting the food and being the professional chef he is, food was the first thing that attracted his attention.

“How is it Ryeowoom, any good?” Sohee asked staring at the food in amazement. 

“Better than his food would ever be” Henli perked up sniggering. Sohee slapped the back of his head “Sohee!” He rubbed his head pouting.

“Stop being rude! And you’re the one to talk, you’re like the number one biggest fan of the Kim family’s cuisine” She said crossly.

“Heehee I know. Ahh Wookie I want some soup!! This party’s only serving finger food. How do you get full on finger food!?” he moaned holding his stomach.

“I’ll make you some when we get back but just try some of this food for now. It’s quite good but I agree, not something to fill your stomach with. I wonder when the banquet is…” Ryeowook wondered looking around the busy hall.

“There’s a banquet??” Henli asked excitedly

“Well the King’s not going to starve his people is he?” she rolled her eyes. “Hmm where’s your sister Ryeowook?” She looked around.

“Oh Hyoyeon, I don’t know…” Ryeowook said uninterested picking up another piece of food.

 

Eunhyuk was bored looking around to find something to do. His twin Donghae was still dancing with his sister Amber. He found a girl standing by herself watching the dancers and instantly recognised her. He smiled, gave her a very hyper wave while he walked towards her.

“Hello!” She looked up shocked. “Do you remember me? The one you helped out at the restaurant!”

“Oh hello,” She said shyly “Of course your highness how could I forget...” she blushed.

“Aww no need to be all “your highness” with me. Call me Prince Hyukie, everyone calls me Prince Hyukie.” He said happily.

“But...”

“Ahh come on! I insist, go on say it!” he whined playfully.

“Prince... Hyu... Kie ...” She said nervously. The dance finished and everyone applauded.

“There you go, wasn’t that bad was it. Come on why are you standing there all alone, come and meet my bunch” He grabbed her hand and pulled her towards his siblings.

Without even catching his breath Eunhyuk started babbling introductions in every direction, “This is my twin brother Donghae. We look nothing alike but we are twins. Our mother is Queen Hye In! This is our little sister Amber, her mother is Lady Jieun. And this is Iyu from the Shin family, you know the business people. Guys this is…” he finally stopped when he realised he didn’t know her name.

“Hello my name is Kim Hyoyeon. My family runs the restaurant in the village” She bowed.

“Wow you own that place? I didn’t know that! Remember Hae she’s the one who helped when the dog was chasing us.” He said excitedly to his twin.

“Ahh hello!” He said on the same level of hyperness and Eunhyuk “I’m Donghae!"

“Nice to meet you Prince Donghae” She blushed softly.

“So you’re the one who got these two out of trouble? But to be honest if I were you I would just let the dog bite them.” One of the females grinned.

“Yah!! Is that the way to treat your dearest older brothers?!” The twins shouted in unison.

“You’re not that much older than me! And by comparing our common sense I’d say I was the older one.” She retorted, sticking her tongue out. They began play fighting, poking and shouting at each other.

“I’m sorry they’re always like this. I’m Iyu let’s be good friends.” Iyu smiled gently holding her hand out. Hyoyeon took it happily.

“Let’s be good friends...”  

 

Back at the pillar, Heechul smirked “Ahh seems like our dear Hyukjae has made a new friend”

Sulli looked at them repulsively, “They’re always like that, always running around town like they’re not any different from the rest. They’re Princes for god's sake!” She frowned.

“Heh. I guess they’re too happy go lucky, as are all the children of the queen” He said slyly looking at Prince Leeteuk.

 

Prince Leeteuk seemed in a daze. His dear friends Lord Youngwoon and Kibum were laughing.

“Why don’t you go ask her for a dance?” Youngwoon smiled pushing him gently. Leeteuk stood in silence still staring at the girl in question.

“Ah come on. How long are you just going to stand there and stare at her? You’ve been doing that ever since you met her.” Youngwoon grinned, patting his back. Leeteuk has never been like this towards a girl before.

“… but” He paused. Youngwoon and Kibum rolled their eyes. 

“But what? Go!” They pushed him smirking. Leeteuk turned around to try and escape but Youngwoon wasn’t having any of it. “C’mon!” He pushed him towards her again. The two boys crossed their arms and watched.

 

The girl, Lady Sunye of the Cho family was in a heated discussion with her little brother Lord Kyuhyun. 

“Go and have some fun, you’ve just been standing here all night.” Kyuhyun smiled.

“You’re the one to talk; you’ve been here just as long as I have!” She snapped at him playfully.

“I’m on duty!” He said innocently. Sunye looked at him dully; he always uses his Police duties as an excuse for everything.

“Nothing is happening. Who is going to wreck havoc at the King’s ball? You don’t have to keep your police radar on all the time you know” She put her hands on her hips and smiled. Kyuhyun frowned.

“Ahem… excuse me but would you honour me this dance?” A voice asked nervously behind them. They both turned to find Leeteuk smiling awkwardly behind them. They bowed quickly.

“Oh! Your highness!” Kyuhyun said animatedly.

“No need for formalities Kyuhyun, you’re not Chief officer today. Just have fun okay.” Leeteuk said with more confidence.

“See no one needs your “services” tonight...” Sunya winked at her brother.

“May I?” Leeteuk bowed slightly holding out his hand.

“Sure.” Sunye smiled, taking it gently. As they walked towards the centre of the hall Kyuhyun looked at them worriedly. 

 

Half way through the waltz there was a partner change and Princess Luna found herself in the arms of a rather attractive young man.

“May I know your name”, the young man asks politely. “Luna, Park Luna.”

“Park? Oh your highness, I’m sorry I shouldn’t be here, I didn’t know” He was startled from hearing the Royal name and made a motion to leave; it was not his place as a commoner to be dancing with a Royal Princess.

Luna held him firmly and told him gently, “No don’t go, its ok. You’re father’s guest, there’s no need to be separated by ranks”

“But…”

“At least finish this dance with me...”

The young man finally gave in and nodded.

“You haven’t told me your name yet”

“Kim Yesung your highness”

“You must have a beautiful singing voice then”

“...eh?”

“Yesung, artistic voice”

“Oh its ok I guess ...” The Princess giggled as his cheeks turned a light shade of pink.

“Sing something” she requested.

“But...”

“I insist”

So upon the Princess’ request Yesung started humming along to the melody as they gracefully waltzed across the room.

 

Near the buffet, another commoner unknowingly found his path entwined with a Royal Princess. Two hands reached out for the same plate and accidentally bumped into each other.

“Ah sorry…” they both said. As the two people looked up their expressions changed.

“You!” both shouted in unison.

The Princess knew what that he was going to create some havoc and wasn’t prepared to be humiliated at her father’s ball. As she turned to go the young man shouted loudly at her.

“Yah! Where’d you think you’re going? ~ are you going to pay for the damage you made or not??

She turned back instantly upon hearing his loud voice and attempted to make him quieten down, “sshhhh ~ not so loud” Luckily the music was quite loud.

“What feeling guilty are we now?” he asked with a triumphant tone in his voice.

“Why you... do you know who I am??” The Princess was outraged, how could a commoner treat someone of her status like that!?!!

He didn’t back down, “I don’t  care who you are ~ do you know you wrecked the chances of poor children getting a good education… we have been waiting for those textbooks for months now and you just come out of nowhere and destroy them all!”

Suzy got scared; usually people get frightened when she says that line. What she didn’t know was that the man she is facing is Lee Sungmin, the famous teacher who defied the court and successfully kept his small town school on its feet.

“Keep your voice down! I’m dead if my mother finds out!” she pleaded.

“Maybe I should let her know ~ maybe I can even get a better range of textbooks if she knows”

“Okay okay ~ I’ll pay for it just stay quiet for now ~ please!!!!”

“How do I know you’re not lying?”

“Me lie? Members of the royal family never back down on their word!”

“…royal family…?”

A maid came towards them at that moment and spoke to the Princess, “Excuse me ~ Princess Suzy ~ the Queen would like to speak with you.”

The Princess took this chance to get away from him but he grabbed onto her wrist looking for confirmation. He didn’t care if she was a Princess or not, the children’s education was more important to him. Suzy turned around and gave him a sincere look, one that told him she was going to keep her word so he let her go.

 

Nearby on the seat, the Zhou siblings were speaking lively in Chinese to each other. One of the ladies approached them carefully.

“You’re Chinese?” She asked, speaking the same language as the other two.

“Yes… we came from china 10 years ago ~ I’m Zhou mi and this is my sister Minah” Zhou Mi bowed slightly, a bit shocked by the stranger who could speak his tongue.

“Nice to meet you ^_^” Min Ah smiled happily.

“It’s nice to meet you too ~ to think I’ll find more Chinese people here ~ I’m Han Ria” She smiled happily.

“Han… as in the Chinese embassy?” Zhou Mi looked shocked. Ria nodded in reply.

“Oh how rude of me Lady Ria” Zhou Mi said bowing deeply.

Ria sighed, “O, no, don’t call me that. Everyone’s being calling me that since I came here a year ago ~ it’s rather annoying”

“But it’s just the way of this kingdom...” Zhou Mi looked confused.

“Well we’re Chinese ~ I guess we can make an exception ^_^ right Minah ~” Ria winked.

“Can I call you jiejie then?” Minah smiled. Ria looked at her excitedly. “Of course!”

“Ria jiejie ~~” they began speaking animatedly in Chinese. Zhou Mi watched the girls and rolled his eyes. He slowly walked away to find someone else to talk to. Prince Siwon, seeking this opportunity decided to try to get a dance.

“Excuse me ~Ria ~ may I have this dance?” He bowed to them. They bowed quickly too and Ria blushed. Min Ah nudged her and mouthed “Jia You!”

“Urm...sure your highness.” She blushed and let the Prince lead her towards the centre of the hall.

 

Lord Han Geng, Ria’s older brother, walked up to the bored Prince Heechul.

“Prince Heechul~”

“Ahh ~ Han Geng ~ where have you been?” Heechul said lazily, greeting his friend with a huge hug.

“I was just giving your family my greetings ~~ All the others are having fun why are you just standing here?” Han Geng asked.

“Even your sister it seems ~ ever noticed the way Siwon looks at her?” Heechul smirked turning Han Geng’s head towards them. He stood there in silence, Heechul laughing quietly. Sulli was still leaned against the pillar looking bored out of her skull. Her best friend Princess Krystal ran over.

“Sulli!! ~ I’m bored! Why did you come to Oppa instead of me??” she whined.

“Krystal! Where were you ~ I couldn’t find you ~?” Sulli replied in the same whiny tone.

“Ahh doesn’t matter now ~ Oppa ~ umma says appa is going to start his speech in a minute.” She poked her older brother. He sighed.

“I best head over there then.” Heechul walked off with Han Geng in tow.

“Well I’ll go find my oppas then~” Sulli complained.

“Is Kibum Oppa here today??” Krystal said quickly, slowly getting excited.

“Yeah ...” she raised an eyebrow.

“I’m coming with you! ^_^” Krystal said happily linking arms.

 

Youngwoon and Kibum were standing beside a pillar near the centre of the room.

“Kibum-ah ~ you’re boring me here ...” Youngwoon said drearily.

“Well go find someone else to talk to then ~ I’m sure you have lots of other acquaintances.” Kibum muttered. Youngwoon grinned and nudged Kibum.

“Speaking of acquaintances ~ Princess Krystal is walking this way” he whispered. Kibum’s eyes flew open.  “Crap.” He turned around quickly. “Hyung what do I do?!”

“Better make a run for it” Youngwoon chuckled. Kibum took a deep breath and ran into the crowd trying desperately to hide. Sulli waved to the eldest Oppa.

“Oppa ~ huh?? Where’s Kibum Oppa gone I saw him here a second ago…?” Sulli said looking behind him.

“Ah he saw a friend” The corners of Krystal’s smile dropped. She was obviously disappointed. “And how are you today Princess?” Krystal smiled, not as brightly as before.

“Annyeong Oppa ^_^ Ahh ~ appa’s speech is about to start have you seen Leeteuk Oppa?” She said looking around.

“Ahh ~ ok ~ I’ll go and tell him ~ you girls go prepare for the King’s speech.” He said leaving the two of them alone. Whilst looking for the Prince he bumped into an old friend.

“Lord Shin how are you doing?” He said smiling with a formal tone.

“Who are you trying to kid Youngwoon?” The large man smiled cheekily. The two of them embraced happily in a huge bear hug.

“Nice to see you again Donghee! When did you get back? Is business going well?” Youngwoon smiled holding the others arms.

“Ahh! Same old same old ~ I got back a few days ago” Lord Donghee of the Shin family replied.

“And the wife? Is she here today?” Youngwoon asked.

“She’s a bit unwell today ~” He said slightly saddened.

“Ah~ well I hope she gets well soon ~ By the way the King’s speech is about to start ~ have you seen Prince Siwon? I’m just about to go tell Prince Leeteuk.” Youngwoon asked looking around.

“No I haven’t. I suppose I better go find him then” Donghee smiled finally shaking Youngwoon’s hand as they parted ways to find the Princes.

 

Seeing the Royalties all gather near the throne, everyone became silent and awaited the grand entrance of their Kingdom’s leader.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

First chapter posted!! hope you like it =D

I'm pretty sure you're all confused with who's who and what not so I'll be uploading some character diagrams just to make life a bit easier :)

And I will be updating every Friday from no on ~ please stay tuneddd (^_^)

Bunnie xx