19. An End

Royal Court

An End

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It was an unusually dark day for a spring day in the Kingdom of EnGellei. Everything was going in its usual pattern, everyone was working, going to school or generally messing about. But suddenly out of nowhere came the ring of a bell. The bell was not fast but it rang in a constant eerie drone as if warning the Kingdom of something important. The people of the town were confused because no one  has ever heard of the bell before and it seemed to be coming from the highest tower of the Royal palace. Unknown to many this bell had rung many years ago and the elderly who witnessed the last bell all placed their hands together in prayer, as they knew what was going to happen next.

A few moments later the Royal guards were seen sprinting everywhere trying to locate the Royal family. The reaction from every single member were exactly the same without fail, the strongest effect being at the restaurant where most of them spend their time. The Royal guards came in a rush to their assigned receiver and whispered the message into their ears. As soon as the message registered, every Royal member went pale in the face and froze for a few seconds before sprinting for their lives towards their home. In the end half the Royal family were seen running together towards the Palace with worry and fear plastered on each and every face. This sight also brought fear to those who saw it as the bell continued to ring throughout the land.

In the Palace everyone gathered in the King’s bed chambers along with the Kingdom’s ministers. King Park Dae Hwang was finally losing his battle with death and is now using his last breath to greet his beloved family for the last time. He has been sick for quite a while now but has not recovered from the latest attack. The rest of the family arrived to see their father lying on his bed, lowly propped up with pillows, with little life showing in his face. They immediately joined their siblings who were kneeling beside the bed, until every space was filled. The girls already started crying whilst the boys tried hard to stay strong for the girls.

"My beloved children, I’m glad I can see you all together for the last time ~"The King began his speech with evident weakness in his voice causing tears to roll at the sound of it.

“Appa don’t say that you’ll be fine, just you wait you’ll be running around any time soon”, Suzy said pleadingly, refusing to believe what may happen. All the children also shaking their heads furiously at their father, agreeing with what Suzy had said.

Looking at his youngest child he couldn’t help but let a tear roll himself.

"Suzy my darling maknae don’t be like this. My time has come, I know better than any of you ~"

He continued to address everyone in the room, making sure not to miss out anyone to give them his last words of advice. He may not be the wisest of people but he has learnt many things in the past years that should be passed on.

"Dear brother ~ thank you for standing by my side all these years and holding up our Kingdom together ~ although we never seem to have the same views, I never would’ve been able to do it without you ~ you have three excellent sons who will help lead this Kingdom well, don’t forget your daughter-in-law, she really is one of a kind ~ my only regret is that I will not get to see my two dear nephews before I go ~ Seunghyun you’re the eldest, it is your responsibility to keep your family safe and happy~"

Seunghyun nodded at his uncle, face stiffer than usual, while Minah looked at her uncle gratefully. The Duke although indifferent at times still treasured his brother, the only person left who has been with him since childhood. He took hold of his hand and gave it a tight squeeze, his eyes trying to convey something.

"My beautiful daughters I regret not being able to witness your marriages and see you settle down happily ~"

"Luna you are the eldest ~ always make sure to lead your sisters onto the right path, guide them if they are lost ~"

"Amber you and your mischievous ways ~ never let your spirit falter but also remember you are a Princess ~"

"Krystal my gem ~ some of your news saddens me but I know deep down you are a gracious woman ~ don’t let the negativity bring you down ~"

"Suzy I have heard many wonderful things about your studies ~ I am extremely proud that you have chosen a path to educate our people ~ spread your wisdom wisely ~"

Each Princess kissed their father on the forehead as he called for them. Tears falling uncontrollably.

"Eunhyuk, Donghae my playful twins ~ don’t forget you are also sons of this Kingdom, you cannot rely on your brothers to do your share for you ~ your playful nature brings the town to life ~ never forgot you always have each other ~"

The twins looked at each other, eyes showing regret of the recent happenings between them. They were the most similar in personality with their father so he truly understood there was something wrong when Donghae was spotted so often in the Palace.

"Siwon your gentle nature acts as a glue to this family ~ never lose yourself as you may find you’ll lose the ones you care for too ~ "

"Heechul my clever boy ~ you do your job well but you always seclude yourself from the rest ~ learn to accept the people around you and in turn let them accept you ~"

"Leeteuk my first son ~ you do me proud as the eldest son of this family ~ continue to guide your siblings but never forget they can also guide you at times of trouble~ "

“I will Appa, I will”, The eldest Prince answered with determination trying not to let his voice waver. The other two nodded in agreement.

"Ji Eun ah ~ you were the last to join me at my side but you have always shown nothing but humbleness and gratitude towards you elders ~"

"Shi Young ah ~ second is always a tough position but I trust you to stay as strong as you always have ~ don’t close our precious daughters in the depths of this Palace ~ they also need to experience our great Kingdom ~"

"Hye In my Queen ~ you have been by my side through thick and thin ~ you have never doubted me since we first met and for that I thank you ~"

The three wives were all crying although with no dramatic action. They stood close by his side and silently let the tears roll as they watch their beloved husband slowly drift off.

"Thank you my wives for giving me such wonerful children and guarding our family with your lives ~ you must remember to stick together as you three create the biggest force to keep this family going ~"

"Remember dearest ones ~ you need to rely on each other to succeed ~ never let our family spirit falter ~ always confide in each other and find your inner bond ~" By this line everyone was crying, even the Duke’s eyes were watering.

"Don’t mourn my death dear ones ~ celebrate my life ~

Humble sons and daughters of EnGellei ~ I am proud of you all ~ it is your time to shine through this Kingdom now ~ show our ancestry what you can do ~ "

With one last look at his family, one last smile, his eyes slowly started to close and he just slipped away. Cries of pain can be heard in the King’s chamber but the Kingdom went quiet ~ the bell struck it’s last when the King breathed his last. Everyone had figured out what it meant by now and all put aside whatever they were doing to kneel down towards the Palace and pay their last respects to their late King ~

 

Park Dae Hwang of EnGellei.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This chapter makes me cry T_T

RIP Dear King

Now who's gonna be the next King?? Place your bets! XD

And this story has surpassed 300 views!! Thanks for everyone who reads ^_^ 

Really motivates me to carry on ~

Thank you also to my subscribers ~

~~~(^__^)~~~