25. Relationships

Royal Court

Relationships

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A week had passed after what could have been called the worst double date in the history of mankind, and there was a small knock on Eunhyuk’s door.

“Yah... Hyuk… it’s been a week now, let me in.” Donghae said sadly. Every day he came to Eunhyuk’s room to see if he was in and everyday there was no reply. He never saw him leave his room but sometimes Amber or a servant would go in and out. Donghae tried to talk to Amber but she would only sigh loudly and walk off… Some days he was close to breaking down the door but now it had gotten tiring. He just wanted to talk to his twin.

Today, once again, there was no answer. “Please, Hyuk this is just getting stupid now. We need to talk. Please open the door” There was no answer. “I’m not leaving until you open this door you know… and this time I mean it.” Donghae had tried this trick earlier in the week… but gave up. There was movement from the other side of the door but no answer. “I know you're in there. Just open the door and I can explain everything.”

The door unlocked.

 

“What is there to explain Donghae? Iyu likes you. Not me. End of story.” Eunhyuk said dryly walking out of his room. Donghae was stunned for a moment.

“Talk to Iyu, Hyuk. She’s hurting just as much as you are right now.” Eunhyuk slowed down to a stop.

“I don’t want too.” Donghae was beginning to lose his patience.

“Come on Hyuk, just give her a chance.” Donghae tried to reason with him.

“I said, I don’t want too.” Eunhyuk insisted stubbornly.

“Oh. Grow. Up!” Donghae shouted at him. Eunhyuk turned around.

“What?” Eunhyuk said through his teeth.

“Be a man and grow up!” Donghae hissed. Eunhyuk walked towards him.

“Say it again. I. dare. you.”

“GROW UP! All you do is care about yourself! You don’t give a damn about anyone else! I don’t see why Hyoyeon would like a selfish brat like you. She deserves so much better.” Donghae shouted with full force.

Silence washed over as the twins both registered what Donghae had just said.

“Huh?” Eunhyuk said. Donghae was still angry

“FORGET WHAT I JUST SAID. Just talk to Iyu already.”

“Not until you repeat what you just said.” Eunhyuk came really close to his brother. Donghae’s anger subsided a little.

“Erm… You don’t give a damn about anyone else.”

“Noooo. The part afterwards. Hyoyeon…”  

“You haven’t even sorted one problem out and you’re asking for another!?!  Talk to Iyu first!!!” Donghae shouted in irritation, how could he think of another girl seeing the currently situation?

They stood there in each other’s faces glaring at each other; both didn’t want to step down.

“You know you need to sort this out. It doesn’t matter who Iyu likes or not you need to get your damn act together so you can figure out what the hell is happening next.” Donghae snared at his twin, a tone he had never used before. Slightly frightened by the tone he had just used Donghae took a step back and looked at Eunhyuk, who also looked quite taken aback by Donghae’s tone of voice.

“What? So that you can ask her out?” Eunhyuk replied with a sarcastic laugh. 

Donghae decided to walk away then with obvious hurt in his eyes. How could Eunhyuk think of him like that? He stopped before he disappeared from view and said, “You know you’re going to regret it when you realised you not only lost a lover … but also a friend.”

Eunhyuk could only stand there as those words repeated itself in his head.

 

~~~~~~

 

“I had a funny feeling you would be here.” Eunhyuk said as he came to a stop behind a bench. After that fight with Donghae he realised his twin was right. He had known Iyu since forever and even if they don’t work out as lovers he didn’t want to lose this precious friend.

The girl sitting on the bench turned around startled but her eyes became sad when she saw who it was behind her.

“Eunhyuk…” She said sadly. “Look I…” She started.

Eunhyuk interrupted. “So when did you start liking Donghae?” He asked flatly. Iyu sat there with her head dipped low. He waitied.

“Eunhyuk, I’m really really…” she started apologising.

“Answer the question…” He said sharply. “Please…” He added to soften the blow.

“When we all first became friends…” she replied in quietly. Eunhyuk let out a sigh.

“Then why did you say yes when I asked you out.” He said plainly looking straight in front of him.

“At first I thought I didn’t want to hurt you and thought it would actually work out because I did start to like you… but I couldn’t forget about Donghae… and I wasn’t fully committed to you… I feel terrible about it. I really do Eunhyuk. I wanted to tell you…” she explained desperately.  

 

Eunhyuk sat looking at the lake opposite the bench. Strangely enough he sort of knew this was going to happen.  Over the last week he had been mulling over things, pretty depressed about the whole issue… after thinking it through properly he wasn’t actually as angry as he thought he was.

“You know what Iyu… it's ok.” He said softly as he turned to look at her. “Relationships never really do go to plan do they?” He smiled then as he gave her hands a reassuring squeeze.

“You don’t have to feel sorry. It wasn’t your fault. It wasn’t really anyone’s fault. We had feelings for each other and we tried it out. This just shows we weren’t meant for each other right?” he continued.

“Actually, I’m glad that you admitted you like Donghae… I think… I’m happy for the both of you. If you really like each other go for it! Please don’t avoid each other because of me” He said cheerfully giving his best gummy smile.

 

Iyu could only look at Eunhyuk. She knew her friend had always been kind but this was a totally different level. She smiled at him squeezing his hand, “Thank you Hyukie, it means a lot to me, really.”

After a moment of silence she spoke again,“I don’t know if you know but Hyoyeon really cares about you.”

Eunhyuk just blinked at her.  She had just pinpointed the one person that had been on his mind this past week.

Hyoyeon.

 

Iyu giggled at his expression and carried on, “You’re really oblivious to all this aren’t you?”

“Well it would’ve helped if I actually knew how to sense these things I would’ve known about you and Donghae and none of this would’ve happened.” Eunhyuk replied sarcastically to which Iyu dipped her head again in shame.

They stayed quiet for a while and Eunhyuk started thinking about what she had said.

 

Hyoyeon stayed with him all night that night. She walked home with him by slowly trailing behind him, knowing that he didn’t want to talk to anyone at that moment. She was patient and nice to him. She had always been there, quietly in the background. And he never fully appreciated it because he thought he loved Iyu. He did like Iyu which was why he asked her out in the first place but the atmosphere between them never really felt romantic.

 

“You do know Hyoyeon has been going up to the palace every other day looking for you right?” Iyu suddenly spoke.

Eunhyuk looked at her, eyes almost popping out.

“The guards kept turning her away because they said you were busy.” She explained.

 

“Wha.. WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS!?!” Eunhyuk exclaimed jumping out of his seat.

“I thought you knew…” Iyu mumbled quietly.

He looked at his pocket watch and saw it was just past lunch rush hour… and he guessed this would be the perfect time for her to get out.

  

“Still friends?” he asked Iyu with a smile as he put his watch away.

“Best of friends :)” Iyu replied with the first proper smile since the incident.

“Well… I have somewhere I need to be… so… BYE!” Eunhyuk said as he gave Iyu a quick hug and sprinted off…  Iyu sat there confused…

 

“I guess he’s finally realised how much he likes Hyoyeon.” Dongahe’s voice suddenly came out of nowhere making Iyu jumped again.

“O dear lord. You twins are so sneaky!” She gasped. Donghae sat down next to her. “How can you tell?” she asked in reply to his remark.

“You could see it in his eyes just then. He’s totally fallen for her. It’s just he was so blindly telling himself he loves you to really listen to what his heart is trying to say” He grinned. “Cheesy I know but it’s true” he said when he saw Iyu giving him a cringey look.

“I nearly said something earlier about Hyoyeon’s feelings… maybe I don’t need to tell him anymore…” Donghae continued.

“It’s the first time he smiled like that in a while” Iyu said with a ton of relief.  

 

“So… what about us then?” Donghae questioned cheekily.

“What about us?” Iyu asked innocently.

“Well now that I finally figured I was not actually in a stupid one sided relationship, it’ll be nice to reorganise this wagon wreck of a love square.”

“I just broke up with Eunhyuk!” Iyu exclaimed, truly feeling she should give relationships a rest for a while. The past week had been a very bumpy ride of emotions.

 

“Well he did tell you to move on… I think his advice is quite sound personally.” Donghae carried on cheesily.

Iyu pouted at his response while Donghae just chuckled at her cute antics. He took her hands then and said, “Well now that he has forgiven you and me about this whole affair, I don’t feel so bad doing this…” He lent in and kissed her.

 

~~~~~~~

 

When Eunhyuk reached the gate he saw a figure waiting outside. When he got close enough to verify it was Hyoyeon he smiled warmly. She really was waiting for him.

Feeling a presence behind her, Hyoyeon turned around to see the person she had been so worried about for the past week. Ever since she watched him walk soullessly into the palace grounds that night she couldn’t stop worrying about him.

 

 “You’re out!” She said surprised. He shrugged.

“I figured keeping myself locked in wasn’t the healthiest of options.” He replied giving her a warm smile.

“Have you… have you talked to them?” She asked sensitively.

“I talked to Iyu.” He said softly, only loud enough for Hyoyeon to just catch what he’s saying. Hyoyeon looked at him with big eyes.

“And Hae has been telling me off” Eunhyuk said sheepishly massaging the back of his head.

 

“I forgave her.” He said after the small silence. Hyoyeon gave a huge sigh of relief.

“I’ve forgiven Donghae too… I guess you can’t really control who you fall for right?” He asked rhetorically and Hyoyeon smiled shyly at the meaning behind it.

“No… no you can’t. I’m glad you’re back on your feet again” she told him.

“Well you learn a little as life goes on.” He replied softly.

 

The awkwardness in the air grew thicker and Hyoyeon started playing with her fingers.

“Well erm… I just wanted to check on you... I guess I should be heading back to restaurant now.” Hyoyeon said awkwardly as she made a move to go.

“I’ll walk you back!” Eunhyuk said immediately.

She hesitated for a moment before turning back to face him.

“Sure ^^” she said smiling brightly. Eunhyuk beamed back.

“After you” Eunhyuk gestured with manners causing Hyoyeon to giggle as she followed his motions and started walking away from the palace gates.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

That night Eunhyuk walked into his shared suite with a smile of his face feeling all light and floaty.

 

“Well I’m guessing all went well” Donghae teased from the sofa upon seeing the grin on his twins face.

“Shut up” Eunyuk said flatly before a grin pulled on his face. He then chucked the first thing he could find at Donghae, which so happens to be book of politics that he wasn’t even quite sure why it was even there.

Donghae caught it by instinct and aimed it back at Eunhyuk who sprinted into his room leaving the book to slam against his door.

 

“NICE TO HAVE YOU BACK BRO!” Donghae shouted towards the door.

There was silence for a few seconds before a reply was heard.

“YOU KNOW IT =D”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lol well that was one fast relationship cycle XD

Thanks for reading ^_^

~~~(^__^)~~~