33. Church Choir

Royal Court

Church Choir

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesung and Luna walked side by side through the streets. Occasionally Yesung would try to say something but always seem to stop himself before he actually said anything. On the off chance he actually manages to say something, Luna would happily answer him, always smiling warmly. Whenever they would catch each other’s eyes, Yesung would look away in embarrassment. Luna wasn’t sure whether she found this endearing or frustrating, regardless she can’t help but find the soft red glow in Yesung’s ears very cute.

 

Soon they had found their way to the Town’s church where the choir meet. They had barely taken five steps inside before a young man ran up to them.

 

“Hyung! They’re bullying me again!” The young man whined with a huge pout on his face.

“Play with us! Play with us! Play with us!” Came two little voices behind the man; two identical boys who looked no older than twelve.

“No! You bully me!” The young man replied in playful spite.

 

Yesung shook his head at the sight and crouched down to the young boys’ height.

“What did you two rascals do to Onew hyung this time?” he asked the twins who started shifting their eyes guiltily.

“Onew hyung said he was hungry so we gave him some fish.” One boy said with a big grin on his face.

“A LIVE goldfish in my TEA!” Onew raged on the side.

“It was the only food we could find! We meant well.” The other by piped up.

“Why you…. I would have strangled the both of you by now if we weren’t in God’s house…” Onew said.

 

Upon hearing the threat, the two boys ran behind Yesung.

“Hyung hyung save us! Onew hyung wants to kills us!” the boys chanted.

Luna chuckled behind them at the cute squabble. The boys looked up at her and one of the boys leaned into Yesung’s ear and whispered, “Who is that pretty noona?”

 

“That pretty noona is Princess Luna.” Yesung replied with a warm smile on his lips.

“Hello.” Luna says brightly as she waved at them.

“Hello Princess!” The young boys answered hyperly as they went over to her and grabbed onto one of her hands each. “Are you Yesung hyung’s girlfriend?”

 

Yesung’s eyes popped at the question as he spluttered and almost choked. Luna also looked quite shocked but giggled at the two curious pair of eyes that were looking at her. “I don’t have boyfriend.” She replied.

“I’LL BE YOUR BOYFRIEND!” Both boys shouted at the same time. Hearing the same thing from their brother, both boys glared at each other.

“I said it first!”

“Nu-uh I did!”

“I was first!”

“No I was!”

 

“Boys… we just met. I don’t even know you names yet.” Luna said, trying to stop them from the endless argument.

“I’m Taehun! The older brother.” The twin in red said.

“I’m Taesoo! The younger and better brother.” The twin in the blue cheekily added, earning a cold glare from his brother.

“Well Taehun Taesoo, I’m Luna. Let’s be friends and get to know each other really well first okay?” Luna replied.

 

The boys contemplated her words for a minute before both looking up and nodding their heads at her. The synchronicity of their actions was quite a sight. Twins are twins. Luna remembers how her own twin brothers always spoke and acted at the exact same time as children; even though they were not identical twins.

 

“Boys do you want to lead Princess Luna to our practice room? We’re going to be late if we linger here any longer.” Yesung interrupted.

“Okay hyung! Let’s go noona!” They said as they dragged her down the aisle and through the side door of the main church.

“She’s single eh?” Onew suddenly asked out of nowhere, making Yesung jump a bit as he had forgotten he was there.

“Do you think I have a chance hyung?” He asked

Yesung didn’t know whether he should feel threatened by his friend’s interest in Luna. He sure wasn’t pleased

“No.” he replied with a poker face before he made his way towards the side door as well.

“Gosh… bipolar much.” Onew muttered.

“Are you coming or not?” Yesung called over as he disappeared through the door. Onew ran over to catch up.

 

When the two young men reached the choir practice room, they found Luna talking to the choir leader and the twins older sister, Taeyeon. The two women seemed to have hit it straight off, both chatting enthusiastically. When Taeyeon noticed Yesung and Onew walk through the door, she clapped her hands twice and everyone in the room promptly took a seat in front of her. The seats were arranged into six rows. The first row was comprised of mainly children and it seemed to be organised according to vocal range. Yesung, a baritone, made his way to an empty seat on the fifth row, while Onew, a tenor/baritone, sat down at the end of the fourth row.

 

“Right everyone before we start I would like to introduce Princess Luna who will be joining us today.” Taeyeon introduced.

“Hello. This is my first time doing something like this, please take care of me.” Luna said as she bowed towards the crowd. The adults of the room stood up and bowed back at the Princess. Some obviously shocked they were in the presence of royalty. The children waved happily from the front seats.

 

“But before we start we need to assign you to the right vocal group. You’re going to have to sing something for us to decide where you should be.” Taeyeon said as she looked towards the Princess. Everyone clapped in anticipation but Luna panicked a little. Shocked at the sudden request Luna tried to say no by waving her hands in front of her.

 

“Come on, I’ll sing with you if you’re uncomfortable singing alone.” Taeyeon encouraged.

 

With the added encouragement from the rest of the choir, Luna gave in and nodded meekly. Taeyeon started a wide known folk song in a medium register to ease Luna into the song.  Taeyeon had already sang a whole verse and Luna still hadn’t plucked up the courage to start singing. Taeyeon started to motion to her to get her the join in. Luna eventually started to open but sang really quietly. Her eyes were looking at anywhere other than another person.

 

When they reached the chorus Taeyeon lifted Luna’s head so that she was looking at the choir. At that instant her eyes caught Yesung’s eyes. He smiled warmly at her and gestured that he couldn’t hear her so she should sing louder. Looking at his warm smile, she suddenly had the urge to sing to him, for him. Picking up all the courage she could muster, Luna started to project her voice. Focusing only on Yesung, she let her voice travel across the room so that it would reach him. As she became more and more comfortable, her singing became sweeter. The children started giggling and swaying along with the melody.

 

Seeing that Luna was singing comfortably in the range she had set, Taeyeon abruptly changed pitch as they started singing the next verse. A bit thrown off course, Luna had to stop for the first sentence but managed to blend in with the second sentence. As they started the chorus, Taeyeon noticed that Luna had to use more effort to sing. Reaching the of the song Luna wasn’t quite sure whether she should go for the high note as her voice started to waver a little bit. At that moment Taeyeon held onto her hand and gave her an encouraging squeeze. Looking at each other, both girls sang with all their might. Some boys started to cheer when they both executed the high note perfectly. Others even decided to join in with the last chorus as they started to harmonise with the two girls at front. With the end of the song, everyone stood up and clapped enthusiastically.

 

“I guess we have another soprano guys!! Welcome to the choir Princess Luna!” Taeyeon announced above the crowd. Taeyeon then sat her in the second row in the middle of two other girls by the name of Sunkyu and Seohyun.

 

“Right guys let’s start!” Taeyeon clapped her hands for silence. “Today we will be starting our preparations for the annual music festival. It is coming up in a month and we have lots to practise. As a choir we have two songs, another song for those with lower registers, one for those with higher registers and one last one for our children choir. We also have space for five individual acts so if anyone wants to apply please let me know by the end of the week.”

 

The three hour choir practice passed by quickly. Everyone had fun singing and laughing, occasionally at people who made mistakes. Luna made many new friends, chatting to everyone during breaks. From time to time she would take a sneak peek at Yesung, a little disappointed she couldn’t spend more time with him as he was sat further away from her. Yesung would also look at Luna from time to time, which was much easier for him since he sat behind her. The two would occasionally catch each other’s eyes and turned away blushing. Sunkyu and Seohyun noticing this started questioning the Princess, asking her if they were dating. Luna denied but the girls weren’t convinced and kept teasing her every time they caught her blushing. Yesung’s friends did the same, causing him to hit a few of them around the head at their pestering nature. Their communication throughout the practice mainly consisted of Yesung giving her thumbs up to let her know she was doing well.

 

“How did you find it Princess? Did you have fun?” Taeyeon asked Luna when practice finished.

“Yes! I’ve always loved singing but never got the chance to do something like this.” Luna replied enthusiastically.

“If only I can come all the time.”

 

“Well of course you can! And you’ve join just at the right time. Your voice has been included in the choir now, you can’t back out!” Taeyeon exclaimed.

“But unnie… I don’t get to come out that often. I won’t be able to take practice enough to take part in the festival.” Luna said sadly. She had finally found something that she truly enjoyed but she doubts her mother would let her out that often. Especially since the last two times she had actually sneaked out.

 

“Princess you can’t just give up like that. You were so great!” Yesung said from beside her.

“You know what my mother’s like. Today was the second time you’ve seen me outside the palace.” Luna said.

Yesung could only sigh at her comment.

 

“Princess Luna! You’re not coming anymore?” The twins who had being listening asked.

“I don’t know if I can boys.” Luna said sadly, holding onto the boys’ hands.

“But you said we were supposed to get to know each other properly.” Taehun pouted, Taesoo nodding beside him.

“Yes Princess, we’ve had so much fun with you around today. We still have so much singing to do. I’m not letting you go until you do another duet with me!” Taeyeon added clinging onto the Princess’s arm. Obviously the clinging nature ran in the family.

 

“And I’ll personally make sure she’s on time for your next practice.” Suddenly came a voice from the door.

 

They turn around and found Suzy and Minah walking towards them with Sungmin and Chulhwa standing just by the door. They nod a greeting towards Taeyeon and she does the same. Suzy goes over to her sister and takes her hand.

 

“Unnie you’ve locked yourself inside for too long. It’s time you come out and experience this world. Remember what appa told you.” Suzy told Luna.

“But umma…” Luna started to reply.

“No buts! Don’t worry, Amber and I will make sure you make it out to practice every week.” Suzy assured her. “I’ll even get Yesung oppa to personally come and collect you.” She added with a cheeky wink.

Luna blushed at the connotations but still looked unsure. Taeyeon on the other hand was ecstatic.

 

“I’ll see you at the next practice then! We practice 3 times a week; Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays from 4-7 in the evening. Don’t forget!” Taeyeon told Luna before turning around to gather her things.

“Yayyy noona is coming again!” The twins cheered. Luna ruffled their hair gently.

“Come on you twerps, we’ve got to go home now, it’s getting late. You’ve both still got homework to do!” Taeyeon addressed the boys as she started headed for the door, waving at everyone as she exited.

“Ne noona. See you on Saturday Princess noona! Byebye Yesung hyung, Minah noona.” The twins chanted as they followed their sister. “See you tomorrow Miss Suzy, Lee Seonsaengnim and Chulhwa.” The twins also greeted, not forgetting about their school teacher and friend.

  

“Come on unnie it’s time to go home.” Suzy said after the twins left. The party of six made their out of the church and it was already turning dark. Luna’s face became visibly paler as she realised how late it had gotten.

“Omg my mother’s going to kill me.” She muttered, looking desperately at the other two women of the court.

 “It’s okay Luna, you’re with us. Madame Shiyoung won’t be able to question you.” Minah reassured her.

Luna nodded slowly hoping she was right. She then turned around to face Yesung.

 

“Thank you Yesung oppa. I had a lot of fun today. Hopefully I can come again.” Luna said gratefully.

“I’ll wait for you.” Yesung replied softly.

“Goodbye oppa.” Luna smiled warmly.

“Goodbye Princess.” Yesung replied.

 

And with that Luna turn around and headed towards the castle with the other four. Yesung stood at his spot and watched as she disappeared around the corner. He will see her again. He was hopeful.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had the biggest block trying to write this! Took me four days!

We are now slowly trying to ease Luna into the outside world ~

With everyone's help she'll do fine!

Thanks for reading

~~~(^__^)~~~