29. Legal Responsibilities

Royal Court

Legal Responsibilities

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Claps could be heard from behind the trees and out emerged Chief Kyuhyun and his men. In tow were Henli and the other two kidnappers tied up and held by two officers. The two men looked pretty battered up and their faces had a couple of bruises. Henli on the other hand seemed unharmed and was looking pretty smug.

 

“Right tie ‘em up boys, looks like our job has been done for us.” The Chief ordered and three men stepped forward to arrest the rest of the kidnappers.

“Took you long enough Kyuhyun!” Sohee shrieked once she laid eyes on the police chief. “Only six men?! This is a kidnapping case!”

“Well when I heard that the Lees were on the case I thought no need to get the whole force out here. Just enough to pull the men back when you and your brothers were done with them.” Kyuhyun explained.

Sohee rolled her eyes at him before turning her attention back to Suzy, holding onto her in case she fell. Sungmin walked over the Chulhwa as soon as an officer took the man he was fighting away. He tried to wake him up but same as Sohee he got no response.

Seeing him starting to panic Suzy tried to make her way over to Sungmin to let him know Chulhwa was ok. As she started to move her knees gave out below her but luckily Sohee caught her before she fell.

“Take it easy Princess. What did you want to do?”

“Tell Sungmin oppa that Chulhwa was only knocked out with a drug. It lasts a bit longer on children so he shouldn’t worry. Chulhwa will wake up soon.” Suzy explained in a hoarse voice.

“OPPA!! Princess Suzy says Chulhwa is only knocked out. He’ll wake up later!” Sohee called across the field to her brother.

 

Sungmin nodded in response and picked up the small boy. He walked over to the girls with Chulhwa in his arms and looked at Suzy with worried eyes.

“Are you ok Princess? You didn’t get hurt did you?” he asked softly.

“Other than being drugged twice I think I’m ok” Suzy lightly joked.

“Thank god for that. Sorry I was so late.” Sungmin replied softly, looking caringly at Suzy.

“Ahem… I am here you know. Show me some concern. I’m a girl too” Sohee interrupted with a small pout on her face.

“Haha I’m not worried about you. I saw the way you abused that man.” Sungmin chuckled recalling the image of Sohee dragging the man into the crypt.

“What can I say, it’s in my blood” Sohee replied smugly.

“Yo! How did I do?” Henli said suddenly as he popped up in between his siblings.

“Beautifully” Sungmin replied with a smile.

Happy at the compliment Henli let out a huge grin which covered half his face.

 

“Sorry to be interrupting but when the kid reported the incident he said there were five men but currently we only have four. Where’s the last one?” Kyuhyun asked.

Sungmin and Sohee looked at each other for a second trying to remember what happened to the bold man. Then they simultaneously pointed towards the broken craters on the side. One of the officers jogged over to the craters and lifted a man from the mess seemingly still unconscious. At the sight of the helpless man Sungmin and Sohee chuckled slightly, laughing at the insignificance of the man that they forgot about him.

“Right then all the criminals in check and as for you guys…”

“Please follow me to the police station so that we can record your statements as official evidence for this case.” The Lee siblings chanted in synch, finishing the police chief’s overused sentence.

“Better than me.” Kyuhyun said chuckling at the playful siblings. “Well I know the answer already but no harm asking again, would any of you skilled people like to join our team and give our police force a boost of energy?”

“Thank you but no thank you” The sibling replied in synch. Kyuhyun had been trying to scout them for a very long time now but none of them would accept the offer. The Lee family were born teachers and they never thought of giving up such a meaningful job.

“Well until next time” Kyuhyun said before motioning to his men to head back to town.

 

Just as they were about to follow Suzy swayed as she tried to move, the drug still leaving traces of side effects. As soon as Sungmin saw her unsteady on her feet he carefully put Chulhwa onto Henli’s back and then knelt down with his back facing the princess. Suzy confused at what he was doing just stared at his back.

“Come on Princess, Oppa’ll give you a ride back to town. You won’t be able to walk all the way back in your condition.” Sohee said with a small smile as she took the Princess’s arms and wrapped them around her brother’s neck. Sungmin carefully held onto her legs and lifted her off the ground as he stood up.

“You can sleep if you’re still feeling drowsy. It’ll be a bit of a walk back to town.” Sungmin said softly. Suzy could feel her cheeks burning up being so close to Sungmin and tried to hide her face. It was awkward and she was worried that Sungmin would be able to feel her fast racing heart but she felt safe. Never before had she felt this feeling before. It was different from the safety she felt from her parents and her family but she couldn’t describe how.

The sound of a stomach growling could be heard and Suzy snapped out of her thoughts. Everyone stared at Henli and he sheepishly smiled at back.

“Hehe can we get going? It’s dinner time!” Henli commented.

Tutting at their brother’s simple mind they set off back into town.

 

 

 

A few days after the incident news had spread throughout the entire town. The Lee siblings had saved the day once again! Sungmin and Sohee walked around awkwardly nodding at everyone who came up to them to express compliments for their continuous good deeds. Henli on the other hand happily walked around with a permanent grin plastered on his face, shoulders wide, nose high: happily accepting all the compliments. Chulhwa didn’t wake up until the morning after he was kidnapped when the drug finally wore off and he had been keeping to himself even more after the incident. Blaming himself for getting Suzy hurt, upset that his father truly didn’t care and angry at his miserable life.

 

“Here’s the document you asked for. Are you sure it’s the right thing to do? From what I heard I don’t think the kid will accept it.” Youngwoon said as he handed over the papers in an envelope.

“Thank you Lawyer Kang. It’s more important about his welfare than whether he accepts it or not. That something we can slowly work out but this is more urgent at the present moment.” Sungmin explained.

“Alright then if you say so. Remember he needs to sign and thumb print everywhere I have specified.” Youngwoon instructed. “And how many times do I have to tell you to call me hyung?”

“Well now that official business is over. Thanks for your help hyung.” Sungmin smiled at the older guy before getting onto his feet and leaving with a slight bow.

“Forever the humble kid who puts everyone’s well-being before his own.” Youngwoon muttered softly to himself as Sungmin walked out.

 

 

Once he left the Kang lawyer firm, Sungmin walked towards Chulhwa’s house. True to what Youngwoon had said he wasn’t sure whether this was the right move. What if another child has the same problems? Would he do the same for them too? He didn’t know. All he cared about at the very moment is Chulhwa.

As he reached the small dwelling he found Mr Im in almost exactly the same position he left him; slouched on the couch, motionless, soulless.

Sungmin remained emotionless at the sight as he reached into the envelope to take out the legal documents.

“Sign and print on these papers.” He said as he placed the papers on the table.

 

Finally lifting his head Mr Im looked at the papers on the table then turned to look at Sungmin.

“What is this?”

“A legal document stating that you are giving up on all legal parental possession of Chulhwa. You may be his biological father but you no longer have the right to be called a father. If you won’t take care of him then I will.” Sungmin stated.

“Why don’t you just take the kid from Misoon’s then? Raise him yourself if you want. Why bother coming to me with all this legal .”

“Did you see what happened to him just because you are his father? Oh that’s right you didn’t, because you were too lazy to get off your fat to rescue your own son!!” Sungmin shouted as he got more and more agitated, slamming his hands onto the table top.

“I told you didn’t I? Take care of the kid if you want. Just leave me alone.” Mr Im grumbled.

“Chulhwa has been through enough. I’m going to make sure that you can never harm him again. Not now, not ever.” Sungmin said, determined to get the papers signed at all cost.

 

Mr Im stared at the papers. Although he rarely ever paid any attention to his son, Chulhwa is and will always be his son. The only relative he has left. The reason he just let him be is because he knew Misoon and Sungmin will take care of him. He knew if he didn’t do it others will, but to actually let him go, he never thought of that. Ever.

“The fact that you’re hesitating to do this shows you still have that little ounce of decency in you to hold onto your son. But it doesn’t change how horrible Chulhwa’s life will be if you don’t sign this. You’re in too much debt, who knows which gang will be knocking on your doorstep next. Be a responsible father for once. If you know you’re a danger to him, stay away from him.” Sungmin said quietly noticing the small glint of despair in the man’s eyes.

“I need a pen.” Mr Im finally said after a long pause.

Sungmin immediately pulled out an ink bottle and an ink pen as soon as the man gave his consent. He slowly guided the man through the documents asking him to sign and print at all the relevant places. When they got to the final signature Mr Im hesitated to leave his final mark as he read the last line.

 

I, Im Chan Gun, agree to give up all parental possession of Im Chul Hwa. 

 

Closing his eyes he placed he thumb down next to his signature. Pushing the document away he slouched back into his armchair, looking away from Sungmin.

“You can leave now.” He whispered.

Sungmin put the papers back into the envelope and then reached into his pocket to get two cards out of his pocket. “I don’t know how long this has gone on for but it has got to stop. Here are some contacts that can help you with your problems. Pick yourself up.”

Mr Im didn’t even show any response. Sungmin sighed and let himself out. It was going to take a very long time for him to wake up from this mess, if he ever does.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So excited for SS5 London tomorrow!! 

omgomgomgomgomgomg ~ my babiessssssss XDDDDDD

Thanks for reading

~~~(^__^)~~~