Dark Eden 32

Dark Eden

 

 

Inside Yoona's room they were crammed together, laughter and jovial banter filled the small hospital room.

 

“Yoong, how are you feeling? Are you okay? Do you still know who I am? Are you hungry? Are you tired? Want to sleep?” Yuri bombarded her sister with many questions.

 

“Yah! Unnie!” Yoona yelled “I don’t freakin’ have amnesia! Can you seriously slow down!”

 

Yuri only had a sheepish grin to show as she quickly settled down to one of the seats near Yoona’s bedside. Yoona was quite happy to see her sisters and with Jessica right beside her what more could possibly make her happy. Just as she was relishing her high, she then averted her attention away from her sisters and Jessica. She turned her attention to the couch at other side of her bed and saw three persons she didn’t really know.

 

“Uhm… Unnie… who are they?” Yoona asked, she tried to be discreet but she was clearly pointing at the three girls she didn’t know.

 

Yuri and Jessica looked at each other, they were communicating with their eyes, something both of them had perfected in their long time together as best friends. Back and forth Yuri and Jessica threw meaningful looks.

 

Tell her the truth- Jessica commanded through her eyes

 

Yuri shook her head

 

She’ll know everything when she gets out of the hospital-Yuri expressed her desire to tell Yoona everything once she got discharged

 

Jessica’s eyes immediately softened and she was able to breathe easy. Yuri showed a grateful smile. Seohyun who was silently sitting beside Yuri looked at her with a worried and nervous expression on her face. Yuri clutched Seohyun’s hand and showed her a reassuring smile, a smile that conveyed ‘trust me, I know what I’m doing’.

 

“Well Yoong…” Yuri stood from where she was seated and went over to the Soonkyu, Tiffany and Taeyeon.

 

“Yoong these two…” Yuri said as she gestured at Taeyeon and Tiffany “Live with us at our house.”

 

“This is Kim Taeyeon and she works at the cafe” Yuri patted Taeyeon’s shoulder and the latter smiled and waved hello.

 

“Don’t let her baby face fool you, she’s a ert who likes butts-” Yuri got interrupted

 

“Yah! I’m not a ert!” Taeyeon quickly protested “I just happen to appreciate girls with nice big butts-”

 

“Yah! Kim Taeyeon, you wanna die?” Tiffany glared at her and slapped her arm. The bickering couple made Yoona laugh.

 

“Mian mianhe~ I might appreciate other girls butts but I like yours the best Ppani yah~” The dorky side of Taeyeon suddenly comes out and even did some aegyo to appease Tiffany who quickly blushed.

 

“Err…” Yuri scratched her head

 

“Anyways… next to Taeyeon is Tiffany Hwang, she’s a prosecutor and as you can already tell… Taeyeon’s girlfriend” Yoona just nodded as Tiffany turned to Yoona and with both hands waved hello as her totoro smile and crescent shaped eyes appear on her face.

 

“Last but not the least, Yoong, this is…” Yuri was about to introduce Soonkyu but then remembered just how complicated it would be and right now Yuri thought it best not to surprise Yoona by telling her everything.

 

Yuri didn’t know what to say as her eyes were on Soonkyu, the latter could clearly read Yuri’s mind like an open book.

 

“Annyeong~! Yoona-ssi~!” Soonkyu suddenly chirped as her eyes disappeared into her dazzling eye smiles.

 

“I’m Lee Soonkyu but I would really really really~ like it better if you’ll call me Sunny!” Soonkyu even used her aegyo, her chirpy voice made Yoona giggle.

 

“Oh and before Yuri forgets…” Soonkyu or as she has just ‘preferred’ to be called Sunny suddenly stands up and wraps her arms around Yuri’s waist.

 

Yuri was shocked when she felt Soonkyu’s arms snaking around her waist, it’s one thing to sleep and have Soonkyu’s arm draped around her waist but a hug in front of everyone was new territory. Yuri could barely breathe and she was sure her heart started thumping fast, but then her heart suddenly stopped as Sunny tiptoed and pecked her blushing cheeks.

 

“I’m Yuri’s girlfriend and I’ve just moved in with her” Yuri’s eyes widened, she turned to face Sunny only to find that the last thing she saw was an innocent smile as Sunny quickly crashed her lips against Yuri’s unsuspecting lips.

 

Elsewhere...

 

Yonghwa woke up to another day that held very little meaning or interest. He's barely found any reason to greet the day with a smile on his face. The only thing that gave him a semblance of happiness is gone and lost forever.

 

Seohyun was the only person that gave his life meaning.

 

As the saying goes ‘blood is thicker than water’ but now that things have unraveled, now that he's starting to see his father in a different light, he couldn't help but curse him and hate him.

 

After going through his morning routine, Yonghwa went out of his room and was about to grab something to eat from the kitchen when, he overheard his father talking with someone in his study room.

 

"Damn it! Didn’t you get what I said before? I don't care what you do! Just find that snoopy reporter!" Ho Dong screamed into his phone.

 

"What do you mean you haven’t found her? I don't care if you search the entire planet! Just find her and make her squeal! I want to know who's ing with me!" Yonghwa stayed out of his father's sight and tried to secretly listen in on his dad's conversation.

 

"I lost a load of money because someone sunk my ing shipment of drugs to the bottom of the sea! I want someone to ing pay for that so you better come up with results Junhyeon!" Yonghwa’s eyes went wide, his hands trembled and clenched into fists.

 

He recalled what he saw on TV and what he read on the newspaper about a cargo vessel owned by his father sinking to the bottom of the ocean. Yonghwa also recalled the earlier incident about one of his father’s warehouse. He gritted his teeth as how he remembered that there were traces of drugs found in the trailer. Looking back on everything and putting the pieces together, he finally saw the big picture, for the first time he could clearly see who his father really is. Yonghwa’s hatred towards his father became even deeper and to his despair he regretted defending a worthless man over Seohyun.

 

“Oh! Yonghwa!” His father’s voice snapped him from his momentary stupor.        

 

“I didn’t see you there! Get yourself something to eat; I’m about to head out for the office.” Ho Dong suddenly stepped out of his study room with his phone in one hand and a glass of whiskey on the other.

 

Yonghwa watched as his father left the house with his usual entourage of his assistant and a few bodyguards, but just as Yonghwa was about to go to the kitchen he noticed his father’s computer is still . Out of curiousity, he went inside the study room and checked his father’s computer.

 

Searching through his father’s emails he read several correspondences between his father and several influential politicians. What alarmed Yonghwa was the highly dubious nature of these emails. Most of these emails were about exchanging favors, the politicians would cover up Ho Dong’s illegal activities in exchange for support and campaign funds. Yonghwa accessed the computer’s hard drives and found documents and pictures of his father’s illegal activities. Among those files were Ho Dong’s underground death matches, selling human organs in the black market, human trafficking and a private research about genetic engineering.

 

“I guess I never knew you that well huh?” Yonghwa muttered to himself.

 

Yonghwa became flabbergasted, how could his father do such things?

 

Yonghwa knew he might not have another chance to access his father’s computer. He copied his father’s emails as well as the documents and pictures he found and saved them inside a flash drive.

 

As the file transfer began, beads of sweat trickled down Yonghwa’s forehead. A mix of anxiety and urgent need to leave the house as soon as possible filled his head. He badly wanted the file transfer to go faster.

 

“Hold one minute I forgot something in my study room” Yonghwa heard the sound of the door and the voice of his father echoing downstairs.

 

The small dialogue box that appeared on the computer informed Yonghwa that the file transfer is still at 93%

 

The sound of his father’s footsteps climbing up the staircase alerted Yonghwa that his dad is almost close.

 

97% nervously Yonghwa hoped that the file transfer would be completed before his father gets to the study room.

 

Each step that Yonghwa heard made his heart beat loudly, each step became a countdown as the progress of the file transfer seems to sync with each step his father took.

 

97.4

 

97.8

 

98.1

 

98.6

 

99

 

99.6

 

 

File transfer complete

 

Yonghwa pulled out the flashdrive in hurry, and ran out of the room, as he closed the door and stride towards the stairs his father has just reached the top most rung.

 

“Yonghwa? I thought you already went downstairs to get breakfast?” Ho Dong asked the boy as they crossed paths.

 

“N-no not yet, I forgot something a-and I’m running a bit late!” Yonghwa really didn’t want to stick around a second longer. He hastily walked down the stairs and grabbed his car keys.

 

Ho Dong shrugged and opened the door to his study and came in, he was oblivious to the fact that someone has just come in and copied the contents of his hard drive. He just absentmindedly pick up his grey pinstriped fedora hat until he noticed his computer is still , Kang glanced at the monitor and noticed the small dialogue box that said ‘File transfer complete’

 

Chills ran down his spine and before he could even alert his men, Kang heard his son’s car screeching and exiting the estate in very fast and reckless manner.