Dark Eden 13

Dark Eden

 

 

 

In the stillness of the night, when everyone else is sleeping peacefully; three girls surveyed a warehouse in the industrial district of Seoul. They looked on from the rooftop of an adjacent building as the warehouse’s large roll up door opened. These three girls watched as two 18 wheeler container trucks drove inside the warehouse. These trucks contained tons of illegal drugs with an estimated worth of around 200 to 300 million dollars. These three girls followed a lead given to them by former police officer Shin.

 

 

 

 

2 months ago…

 

 

“Yuri ah, a friend of yours is looking for you” Taeyeon went inside the pantry and found Yuri taking out a freshly baked batch of muffins from the oven.

 

 

“Who is it Taeng?” Yuri asked as she placed the muffins on the counter.

 

 

“He says his name is Donghee” Taeyeon scrunched her eyebrows and was unsure about the name Yuri’s friend gave her.

 

 

“Donghee? Oh! Must be Shindong!” Yuri exclaimed as she recalled Donghee is Officer Shin’s given name.

 

 

“Thanks Taeng, can you take care of these?” Yuri asked as she wiped her hands and left the pantry.

 

 

“Yeah, sure thing”

 

 

Taeyeon prepared the muffins and placed them on display at the counter. Yuri went outside the pantry and found Shindong sitting at a table near the counter. Yuri was surprised to see the policeman in ordinary clothes. Shindong kept glancing at his wristwatch and was seemingly nervous. He would keep looking around the surroundings and would quickly look at the café’s doors whenever it was opened.

 

 

“Officer Shin, I’m surprised you paid us a visit. What brings you hear anyway?” Yuri decided to casually greet Shindong. She sat across Shindong and was still wondering why he’s still jumpy.

 

 

“It’s ex-officer Shin, Yuri.” Shindong replied with a dry and small smile.

 

 

“You’re not a cop anymore?” Yuri asked as she joined Shindong.

 

 

“Yeah, I don’t have much time Yuri, I wish I could stay and chat but I just came to give you these files.” Shindong grabbed something from his pocket, it was a flash drive and handed it to Yuri.

 

“What’s in this?” Yuri asked as she picked up the flash drive, curious at its contents and Shindong’s behavior.

 

 

“Inside that drive, you’ll find information about a case I was working on. I was following a tip I got from my sources that hundreds of millions of dollars worth of were being smuggled into Seoul. I thought there was no harm in looking into the matter.” Yuri looked at Shindong and she could see how he was seemingly over the edge, his hands couldn’t keep still, he would drum his fingers on the table or take a sip of his coffee and his eyes kept darting left and right.

 

 

Shindong took a deep breath and momentarily paused, huge beads of sweat appeared on his forehead. He took a sip of his coffee once again and cleared his throat as he continued what he was saying. Yuri looked at him worriedly and listened to him.

 

 

“I worked tirelessly and followed the leads that were given to me; everything that I learned and uncovered led me to a port in Incheon. I headed out to Incheon and there I found the smoking gun. A large container vessel that was owned by Kang Shipping, according to the vessel’s manifest, it was supposed to be transporting porcelain vases and other decorative furniture from mainland China.” Yuri looked at Shindong and he felt like he was choking as he tugged on his shirt’s collar. He was sweating heavily and it’s as if he is close to hyperventilating.

 

 

“I should’ve left the matter alone when I learned that the ship belonged to Kang, but I didn’t. Against my better judgment to leave things alone, I snooped around late at night and opened one of the container vans. I found that packs of were stashed inside the porcelain vases and pots. I discovered Kang’s drug operation; I uncovered a multi-million dollar operation! I knew that what I learned would spell disaster for me but I didn’t stop. I continued to snoop around for the next couple of days and followed the shipment as it was moved from Incheon to Seoul.”

 

 

Shindong ended what he was telling Yuri and finished the rest of his coffee. Yuri pondered upon what Shindong told her and her eyes then fixed themselves on the flash drive in her hand. She kept looking at the tiny device and for the first time she had something concrete, something that could possibly bring Kang down. Thoughts and ideas swirled and raced inside Yuri’s head she was ecstatic and was eager to do something with this piece of information in her hands. She tear her gaze away from the flash drive and looked at Shindong but to her surprise he was about to get up and leave.

 

 

“Shindong, are you leaving? Why so sudden? Are you in a hurry?” Yuri bombarded him with questions, she wanted to stop him from leaving, she still had questions and she wanted to get some answers.

 

 

“Yuri, there’s a reason I came to see you today and hand you those files. After I got back from Incheon, the chief ordered my dismissal from the service. I don’t know how but I figured he knew what I’ve been doing while I was up there. I meddled into things that I should have stayed away from. Now I’m a liability, a marked man; I’ve been receiving threats Yuri. I’ve been shot at while I was driving and I’ve been harassed since I got dismissed from the service. I don’t know if I’ll make it out of this alive but I don’t intend to stay around and find out. I’m planning to leave Seoul and disappear.”

 

 

That was the last time that Yuri heard or saw Shin Donghee. After his brief conversation with Yuri he left the café and disappeared. The following day a local news station reported that a former policeman was found dead inside his car along the high way. His car was riddled with multiple bullet holes. He died on the spot after sustaining multiple gunshot wounds all over his body. That former cop was Shindong; Shin Donghee…

 

 


 

 

I had no idea why wrote this little chapter... I guess I was somewhat appreciating Shindong's character here. And in case everyone else is confused Officer Shin in this fic is none other than Super Junior's Shindong, Shin Donghee. Anyway yeah from this point the first mission begins. Stay tuned because in the next chapter it's going to be action packed!

 

Comment, read and subscribe! Make me happy and let me know what you think! ^_^

 

-AnDroGeNie-