Dark Eden 11

Dark Eden

 

 

 

Jessica continues to watch over her beloved Yoona, on the other hand; Seohyun could hardly do anything for Jessica; moreover she could barely do anything for her own sister, Yuri. The two of them have hardly been the same since Yoona’s accident.

 

 

For the past few days it had become Yuri’s habit to show up late for work. Sometimes Yuri would ditch work altogether, this worried Seohyun. As days pass by Yuri gradually changes, her usual happy go lucky and undampable spirit seems to be flickering. The wide smiles that were always drawn on Yuri's face stopped appearing. What was happening to her? Seohyun asked herself. Why is Yuri suddenly changing? The old Yuri is slipping away before her eyes and it seems there's hardly anything she could do about it.

 

 

"Unnie? Is something bothering you?" Seo asked her sister as the latter stood near the window of Yoona's private ward. Her eyes cast towards the distant horizon yet her mind seems to be elsewhere.

 

 

“O-oh it’s nothing Seo. I was just thinking about the café and stuff.” Yuri lied to Seo, she didn't want to say anything.

 

 

Yuri was never the type of person who deals well with her feelings. When something troubles her, she keeps it all to herself and deals with things in her own way. When she's angry she usually holds it in, she would fake a smile and say its okay and she'll let it slide. Forgive and forget unconditionally, that was what she believed in. But her belief took a darker twist because of what happened to Yoona. She can't forget and she could never forgive the ones responsible for her sister's condition.

 

 

 

Yuri has been following up on her sister's case, she's been visiting the police station and tried to talk with Officer Shin. She was eager and expecting developments regarding the case. On her second visit, she was told Officer Shin was out investigating the matter. Yes, Officer Shin was out but not on an investigation, he went to see Kang.

 

 

"Sir, Officer Shin is here to see you." Kang's secretary informed him of Officer Shin's visit. He already knew of the matter regarding one of his car's running over Kwon Yoona.

 

 

"Send him in." Kang casually replied as he took a seat behind his desk. He took a sip of Whisky as he waited for the police officer.

 

 

Officer Shin entered the room wearing a suit and tie; he clutched a folder containing information about the incident as well as background of the Kwon sisters. Kang gestured Officer Shin to take a seat at which Officer Shin obliged with little apprehension. Officer Shin meekly sat down, he tried to read Kang, and it is his first time to meet the benefactor of the police.

 

 

"Cigar? Relax a little Donghee" Kang poked fun at the uptight policeman as he offered him a Cuban cigar.

 

 

"With all due respect sir, I-I don't really smoke..." Though nervous he declined respectfully Kang's offer.

 

 

"Haha I see”

 

 

“I understand you're here because of the incident involving that Kwon girl right?" Kang bluntly asked while he lit his cigar as officer Shin placed the folder on Kang's desk.

 

 

"Y-yes sir, I just like to give you these files regarding the Kwon’s also I'd like to know how you'd like to proceed with this matter."

 

 

Kang had an arrogant smile on his face. He took the folder while his other hand clutched his whiskey glass then walked towards the trash bin. Kang casually threw the folder inside and dumped the contents of his whiskey glass into the bin.

 

 

"Weave a lie Donghee, cover the loose ends and tell them that the car was stolen. You don't need to soil your hands by killing them they are hardly worth the trouble anyhow." Kang took his lighter from his pocket and as the lighter's flame ignited, he threw it inside the trash bin. He watched as the folder burned along with the reports and pictures of the three Kwons.

 

 


 

 

 

On her previous trip to the police station, Yuri found that Officer Shin was off duty, he was the only one handling the case so Yuri had no choice but to leave completely empty handed without any piece of news or development.

 

 

After the last trip, Yuri had become more desperate, her faith in the police and the law started to falter. She seriously doubts if ordinary people like her could truly attain justice. Her hopes however grew as she saw Officer Shin walking into the station.

 

 

"Officer Shin, could you spare me a minute?" It was the fourth time that Yuri went to the police station. If anything today, she pegged her last hope on Officer Shin.

 

 

Officer Shin was surprised to see Yuri; he was informed by his colleagues that Yuri had been trying to see him for the past few days. He could see desperation in Yuri’s face, the longer he looked at Yuri the more his twisted conscience battled, his humanity appealed for him to do the right thing but he knew he’s knee deep into the twisted reality of being a cop upholding justice in a city where money corrupts absolutely anyone. The police force in Seoul upheld justice so long as it didn’t inconvenience Kang or any of his business both legal and illegal. When Shin became a cop he was idealistic and morally upright however he soon learned that the Police, the very institution that swore to serve and protect the people have become the instrument of injustice and brutality. He thought of fighting the corrupt system but he was just one cop, a mere man who eventually succumbed to the flawed system.

 

 

“Ms. Kwon, I apologize that I’ve been unavailable for the past few days, I understand that you’ve been trying to get a hold of me.” Officer Shin showed an apologetic smile, his conscience continued to debate on what to do.

 

 

“It’s no problem at all Officer Shin, I’m just really eager to learn of anything new regarding my sister’s case.”

 

 

“Let me punch in first before we talk about your sister’s case okay?” 

 

 

“You can wait for me at my desk Ms. Kwon” Yuri nodded and went to the other room where Officer Shin’s desk was.

 

 

Officer Shin nervously headed towards the computer to log in; along the way he was greeted by his superior. He had seen Yuri around for the past few days and expects Officer Shin to steer the matter away from Kang. He approached officer Shin as the latter logged in.

 

 

“Officer Shin, I believe you already know what to do with HER right?”

 

 

“Yes Chief… I’ll take care of things after I’m done logging in.” Officer Shin left and headed to his desk.

 

 

Yuri kept waiting inside the room; as usual the large room was busy; handcuffed criminals giving their alibis, drunk drivers, people complaining about stolen items and other things. Yuri couldn’t help but glance at every direction, it was chaos and nothing about being in the police station made her comfortable. Just then Officer had come to his desk much to Yuri’s relief.

 

 

“Ms. Kwon, before we discuss your sister’s case. Have you had breakfast?” Officer Shin was still nervous; his conscience was eating him alive. He continued to debate on what to do; cover up and tell lies or tell the truth. Either way each choice has its own set of consequences.

 

 

Ultimately Shin’s decision became a turning point for Yuri.

 

 

“Not yet Officer Shin.” Yuri reluctantly replied. The police officer stood up and grabbed his coat and file from his desk. Yuri followed him as he made his way out of the room.

 

 

Along the way out of the police station, Officer Shin and Yuri encountered the Chief of Police.

 

 

“Shindong, you stepping out?” The Chief called out as he took a sip of his coffee.

 

 

“Yes sir, I was in a rush to get here that I forgot to have breakfast. I’ll just have something to eat and discuss with Ms. Kwon the results of the INVESTIGATION.” The Chief understood what Officer Shin meant. He and Officer Shin shared a meaningful look that convinced him that Officer Shin was going to take care of the matter regarding Yoona. The chief nodded and went on his way.

 

 


 

 

Officer Shin stepped into his car, Yuri got inside the passenger, officer Shin looked around and made sure no one would suspect him or overhear what he was going to tell Yuri.

 

 

“Listen to me Yuri, I don’t have much time to explain but I want you to pay attention.” Officer Shin started the engine of his car and slowly drove out of the police station.

 

 

“Dae”

 

 

“The car that hit your sister belongs to Kang Ho Dong. His men accidentally hit your sister when they were hurriedly exiting Apartment building 603. I was told they abducted two girls from  Apartment building 603 after they killed their families.” Officer Shin’s car was now a safe distance away from the police station.

 

 

“What! Why are you not doing something about it then?” Yuri was confused, she was receiving a lot of information and too fast. They were at a traffic light; Officer Shin stopped the car and looked at Yuri.

 

 

“Kang is a dangerous and powerful man, he can have anyone including their families killed, and he is a narcissistic megalomaniac who fancies himself as a God. He is filthy rich and he controls the entire police and may be a few politicians.”

 

 

“Why are you telling me all of this then?”

 

 

“Because it’s all that I can do for you, I’m just another cop swallowed by the flawed system that has made the entire police force a joke. There’s no such thing as justice Yuri, you won’t find it in this city.” Officer Shin’s humanity led him to tell Yuri everything that he knows.

 

 

Yuri remained quiet; she was lost for words and didn’t know what to do anymore. She begins to wonder who she could possibly turn to. How could she possibly attain justice for Yoona? Yuri was confused, angry and helpless; it seems like there’s nothing that she could do. The short car ride leading to the diner was relatively short, the diner was a favorite haunt of the cops from the police station, Officer Shin thought that in order to convince the Chief that he had done what was expected of him, he would pretend like he was giving Yuri the fabricated and falsified files. Yuri would put on an act that she was disappointed as the case of her sister has gone cold. With the other cops playing witness, officer Shin hopes that the Chief of Police and Kang would buy his ruse. Yuri willingly agreed to officer Shin's plan, Yuri didn't have to act much for she was already upset in the first place. As soon as officer Shin was done with his fake explanation, Yuri lashed out at him.

 

 

"Ms. Kwon we managed to find the car, but the owner of the car, Mr. Kang Ho Dong had earlier reported it to be stolen. I'm sorry Ms. Kwon but after the criminals left the car, we just don't have any trail to follow, it's like they disappeared without a trace. You can have the file and look for yourself, there's nothing more we could do, I'm sorry."

 

 

"You've got to be ting me right?! Nothing you could do?! You're ing cops for god's sake!" Yuri slammed her fists on the table, she startled all of the other customers including cops who witnessed the drama Officer Shin and Yuri staged.

 

 

"I should have expected this all along! Thanks for nothing Officer Shin" Yuri abruptly stood up and picked up the files Officer Shin handed her. Yuri furiously exited the diner and headed straight to work.

 

 


 

 

Yuri was sleepless and deeply troubled by everything she learned from Officer Shin and the files he has given her. Yuri was so disturbed that she didn't notice Jessica had come out of the bathroom. They were the ones left to watch over Yoona as Seohyun had to attend classes. Seohyun has given Yuri time off from the cafe; she even assumed the duties of managing the cafe a task Yuri assumed after Yoona's accident.

 

 

"Yuri, have you heard of anything... any news about the accident?" Jessica sat beside who Yuri was silently sitting on the couch.

 

 

"Yuri…" Jessica held Yuri's hand, she was worried, and she knew her too well. She's after all Yuri's best friend, Jessica knew Yuri was keeping something to herself and she knew it has been weighing down on Yuri's mind for the past few days.

 

 

“Sica… the car… I know who owns the car” Yuri held firmly Jessica’s hand. Yuri’s firm grip made Jessica look at her; Jessica could see how serious Yuri looked at her. It was completely uncharacteristic of Yuri and this only worry Jessica even more of what Yuri had to tell her.

 

 

“The car that ran my sister over belongs to Kang Ho Dong!”

 

 

Jessica was left speechless at what Yuri has revealed to her. She had heard of Kang and is aware of how rich and powerful he is. Kang has been after Jung Pharmaceuticals, he has been trying to buy the company founded and owned by Jessica’s parents. She was quite confused, she wondered if it was purely by accident that they ran over Yoona or were Kang’s men aiming to run her over. Jessica remained confused until Yuri continued to relay to her everything she had learned from Officer Shin and the files he has given her.

 


 

 

Taeyeon was asked by Tiffany to meet her at the Garden of Eden, Tiffany wanted to talk to Taeyeon about what happened to her and other details regarding her abduction. Taeyeon reluctantly agreed to meet Tiffany although she wasn’t sure if she could even tell Tiffany what happened to her. She doesn’t even know let alone believe that Tiffany and the Prosecutor’s office could actually do something to help her. Taeyeon was fully dressed and was about to leave her room when she noticed the clothes she was wearing when she was abducted. She hasn’t washed them and found no sense in doing so, her clothes had holes, cuts and were also stained with blood. Taeyeon gritted her teeth when she remembered what she endured in the underground arena.

 

 

Taeyeon picked up the clothes was about to throw them in the garbage when a set of keys fell out from one of the pockets of the jeans she was wearing. The keys clinked and clanked as they fell on the wooden floor. Taeyeon bent down and picked up the keys, she couldn’t remember how it got there and she became even more surprised when she recognized the set of keys she had just picked up.

 

 

 

“Sooyoung…” For the umpteenth time Taeyeon cried as she clutched the keys and brought them against her chest.

 

 


 

 

Taeyeon managed to pull herself together and drove out of the apartment building using Sooyoung’s Camaro. She headed towards Garden of Eden which was a twenty minute drive away from her apartment building. As she drove towards their meeting place, Taeyeon continued to debate on whether she would tell Tiffany about what she went through and whether she could actually trust the young prosecutor. Taeyeon was now a block away from the café where Tiffany asked to meet her. Taeyeon drove towards the café’s parking lot and saw Tiffany sitting at a table near the window. The redhead is wearing a black dress coat over a pastel pink flannel shirt, a black pencil skirt and a pair of black 5 inch pumps, her make up wasn’t heavy or overbearing; if anything her make up is subtle yet accentuates her naturally rosy cheeks, her soft pink and kissable lips and her bright and sparkly onyx orbs. Tiffany has been waiting for Taeyeon with a mug of coffee and a newspaper as her eyes occasionally went towards the door. She has been expecting Taeyeon and was hoping for anything that would aid her on a case she’s trying to build on.

 

 

“Taeyeon-ssi, I’m glad you could make it” Tiffany greeted Taeyeon with her gorgeous eye smile. Taeyeon returned the gesture with a polite bow before taking a seat at the table.

 

 

The two of them weren’t making eye contact and Tiffany wanted to ask Taeyeon questions regarding her abduction and the night of the murder. Tiffany had plenty of questions yet she found herself unable to do so, she could barely ask anything from the girl who lost everything. Taeyeon stared out the window, she lifelessly watched as cars plied the busy streets. She looked at all the people walking on the sidewalk, it was like any other day, and they go on with their lives not knowing the true horrors of the city.

 

 

“Taeyeon-ssi I was hoping we could talk about what happened to you on the night your family—” Tiffany was apprehensive, but she mustered enough courage to ask Taeyeon a question. However, before Tiffany could finish, Taeyeon started to talk about that fateful night.

 

 

“Sooyoung and I were taken by Kang’s men; our families were dead when we got to our apartment. My family and Sooyoung’s family owed a substantial debt to Kang, that’s why our families were killed. Soo and I were taken to an underground deathmatch, we were made to fight other people, and they probably owed Kang as well. In the end I faced Sooyoung and killed her.” Tiffany was shocked, the entire time Taeyeon didn’t look at her, she was still looking out the window but her tears were already falling freely from her eyes.

 

 

Taeyeon carefully wiped the tears from her eyes; she turned to Tiffany and looked at her seriously despite her bloodshot eyes she looked Tiffany straight in the eye. She was measuring the young prosecutor and she wanted to know if there was anything she could do for her, Sooyoung and their families.

 

 

“Tell me Prosecutor Hwang, can you really do something? Can you bring Kang Ho Dong to justice?”

 

 

The very blunt and straight forward question hit Tiffany hard; like a bullet and the way Taeyeon looked at her made it even harder. Tiffany felt like she was drowning, she wanted to say yes but knew too well that the Prosecutor’s office had never managed to build a strong case. Every case they tried to bring to court was dismissed for lack of material evidence to support the case. Kang is like an impregnable fortress, hard to scale and impossible to break in. What made things even worse was that he had the best and brightest lawyers at his disposal. Tiffany had no answer; she couldn’t and didn’t even try, she couldn’t look Taeyeon in the eye and assure her anything.

 

“I thought so…” Taeyeon sadly whispered to herself, she was disappointed and it was evident on her face.

 

 

“I-I I’m sorry for wasting your time Taeyeon-ssi… I have to go.” Tiffany couldn’t bare the disappointment on Taeyeon’s face. Tiffany hurriedly exited the café surprising everyone both workers and customers looked at her and wondered what happened.

 


 

 

“You’re Kim Taeyeon from Apartment building 603 right?”

 

 

“I am” Taeyeon looked at two women who suddenly joined her at the table.

 

 

“We have a score to settle with Kang Ho Dong, are you interested?”

 


 

Hey everyone! Just dropping by for another update! Yessssssss finally I'm done with the starting points of this story! I'll post another chapter tomorrow or may be the day after tomorrow. Bye all!

 

-AnDroGeNie-