Dark Eden 27

Dark Eden

 

 

 

Sunny

 

 

When I close my eyes all I could see were my final moments with my brother. Delaying our impending demise, fleeing with our life shackled to our feet yet it was slipping right beneath us. Slipping... life did slip but it wasn't mine... it was my brother's life that ultimately slipped far beyond anyone's reach to retrieve or get back. All this time I ask myself, was his sacrifice well worth it? Was my life worth saving? If you ask me then I'll be honest and right off the bat I'll tell you that my life... is not worth saving.

 

 

It should've been me... Oppa why? Why did you do that? Am I really worth saving?

 

 

I don't know how many times I've cried or how many tears I've shed but all I know is that I blame myself for my brother's death. Yuri kept telling me that it wasn't my fault and that I shouldn't blame myself but how could I not? I'm the one to blame; I'm the one who was eager to stick my nose where it didn't belong. If only I didn't bug my brother about the information he received then he would still be alive today. I'm grateful for Yuri coming to my aid when she did but part of me thought that it would've been better dying by my brother's side.

 

 

I began to drown myself in my guilt and sorrow but as I did so I heard a loud banging from outside the door. I was scared to death; I thought somebody found where Yuri and Jessica took me. Yuri and Jessica thought that this seedy motel is off the radar and the safest place for me to hide. I was so frightened that I covered my mouth with my hands, I didn't want to make a sound and I didn't want to be found. I silently prayed for whomever it was banging outside the door to go away but just then I heard Jessica's voice.

 

 

"Soonkyu!"

 

 

"Open the damn door! It's us!"

 

 

I could tell that there was a sense of urgency in her voice; my heart began to beat rapidly not from sheer excitement but fear... Brushing whatever thoughts were forming in my head, I got out from my stupor and unlocked the door. No sooner than when I unlocked the door; Jessica came in with Yuri's arm slung over her shoulders. I could tell that Yuri was hurt and that Jessica was doing her best to support her. After they got inside our room, I hurriedly locked the doors and went to check on what's going on with Yuri.

 

 

"Je-Jessica ssi what happened?" I nervously asked as she removed the body armor Yuri was wearing.

 

 

I began to worry as Yuri squirmed and hissed when Jessica lightly pressed her fingers on her ribcage. I didn't like seeing this and as much as I would have liked to turn away, I find myself unwilling to. Yuri's badly hurt and the look of extreme discomfort on her sweaty face made me worry to no end. I glanced at Jessica who was frantically going over or more like rummaging through her medical kit.

 

 

"Damn it!"

 

 

"Her temperature’s rising! Soonkyu, I'm going to step out for a bit get and some painkillers and antibiotics, oh and watch over Yuri okay?" Jessica hissed after failing to find what she was looking for.

 

 

I watched as she carelessly discarded her clothes and body armor and puts on a new pair of jeans and blouse. All the while I barely had anything to say except nod to what she was asking me to do. I got to hand it to Jessica; despite how crazy things are, she still has enough composure to keep things in check. If I were in her shoes, I would have cracked; I guess you could say I would have been running around like a headless chicken.

 

 

“Soonkyu, if her temperature rises any further place a damp towel on her forehead okay?” Again I could only nod and watch her quickly leave the room.

 

 


 

 

The door behind me made a loud noise and from outside I could hear her SUV roaring, the tires crunching against the asphalt road until all that I could hear was Yuri’s shallow and rugged breathing. I nervously bit my lower lip and wondered what I should do. I heard Yuri suddenly groan, I placed my trembling hand on her forehead.

 

 

“Y-Yuri you’re burning up… I-I should get a towel and a basin of water.” I nervously exclaimed, panic spread through me like wildfire and the next thing I know I was trying to bolt out of my chair when suddenly I felt Yuri’s hand gripping my wrist.

 

 

“D-don’t leave… Soonkyu…” Her weak voice trailed, I could easily wrench my wrist free from her grip.

 

 

“Stay… here…” Against my better judgment and swayed by Yuri’s frail and weakened state I decided to stay by her side.

 

 

“Okay, I’ll stay right here.” I assured her, as I sat back down on my chair.

 

 

“Good…” Yuri had a weak smile; she turned to look at me briefly before closing her eyes and getting some much needed rest.

 

 

I watched over her and part of me wondered how did she get so beaten up, Yuri’s a tough girl and basing on how she came to my rescue, I was pretty sure that she wouldn’t be so easily taken down. So now the question playing in my mind is who did this to her? My attention was still fixed on her until I heard door opening, I quickly turned to look at the door and found Jessica coming in with a plastic bag of medical supplies.

 

 

“How is she Soonkyu?” Jessica asked, she laid her hand on Yuri’s forehead and frowned, her fever didn’t go down but at least she was stable.

 

 

“Jessica, shouldn’t we take Yuri to the hospital?” I asked as I took a step back and gave Jessica some room.

 

 

“That wouldn’t be a good idea, Soonkyu, we might run into trouble. Besides, Yuri didn’t get any serious injuries. I just need to give her some antibiotics and tend to her minor injuries. When her fever breaks, we will have to get out of Incheon fast.”

 

 

I guess partly I understood what she was saying, it did make sense. We might get unwanted attention and I’m sure by now Kang is fuming. I did somehow get the gist of what Yuri and Jessica planned to do; they were planning to blow the ship up along with its cargo and I knew well enough that they did successfully accomplish their objective.

 

 

I watched closely and let Jessica attend to Yuri’s injuries, after dressing her wounds and her sprained forearm, she gave Yuri some antibiotics. It must have been an hour or so until Jessica was done and I could only let out a sigh of relief as Yuri seemed to be doing better. Jessica sat beside me and there was a question… well a couple of questions I’ve been meaning to ask her.

 

 

“Jessica, did you guys find anything about my brother’s remains?” I asked, my voice strained but it was something I had to come to terms with.

 

 

“I’m sorry Soonkyu… but we couldn’t find anything. I’m sorry to say this but we may never find a body. I’m sure they disposed of your brother somewhere where no one would be able to find him.”

 

 

I expected that much, but it only made me feel even more terrible, not only did I lose my brother but now I won’t be able to give him a proper funeral. Oppa… I’m so sorry, if only I didn’t insist on coming here, none of this would have happened. It’s my entire fault… oppa I’m sorry.

 

 

When morning came, Yuri’s fever finally broke, since her condition got better, Jessica decided that it was time we went back to Seoul. She advised me to wear a disguise before stepping out of our motel room. It would be a bad idea if someone recognized me; I know that after everything that’s happened here, my life would never be the same.

 


-AnDroGeNie-