Chapter 21

Man In My Dreams

"Hyung, I'm here!" I exclaimed as soon as I stepped in through the front door.

"Oh good. You're here," he answered as he magically appeared from his room dressed in a suit and was currently fixing his tie. 

"O--oh?" I asked in confusion.

"Myungsoo-ah, I want you to pick the best suit you have-" he said.

"Eh? Why hyung?"

"Actually, today- I have a business meeting," he stated as he reached out for his newly polished leather shoes.

"And?" I replied.

"And... I need you to substitute me for the meeting-"

"Whaaaat?!"

"Yeah. Because I have to meet Jiyeon-- I have something to tell her," he flashed a smile.

I was awestruck for a while. This just means that... he's getting rid of me for Jiyeon.

"So get dressed now- Here's the place of the meeting," he pointed at the paper lying on the table.

Frozen, I clenched my fist and thought for the right reply. 

"H--hyung,"

"Yeah?" he fidgeted as he looked at his self in the mirror. 

"Jiyeon.......

 

I-- like her." I whispered with all my courage.

I noticed him paused what he was doing, but turned around still, "What..... did you say?"

Suddenly I felt the seriousness from his voice.

"Jiyeon..... I like her." This time, my voice was 2 times louder.

"I like her ever since we first met. When I  first saw her, I thought that she was God-given for me, to be with me forever. She then, became my life. But then-- all of those shattered into pieces, when you told me that you like her too. Then... I told myself  to let go of her for you,- for your happiness. I decided to stay away, to forget about her, to give way for you-- I decided to move on. But then just this morning, I realized it all.... I realized that I have to fight for myself- for Jiyeon. For me, it seemed like I was dying everytime I see the two of you together. So i came to a decision, I won't let her go hyung. I can't give her up either. Because I.... will fight for her, man to man, fair and square." I stated as I gathered all my thoughts altogether and combined them with my long-hidden emotions.

Daehyun's eyes widened in shock and he stood like a frozen statue. I could sense that he thought for the right words to say so I patiently waited for those words to come out.

"So... you're basically a war to me? Hah..." he struggled to say something. "Fine. I..... am accepting your declaration. I will fight man to man, fair and square. The decision is up to Jiyeon." He lifted his head and gave the final touch to his outfit. 

I nodded and agreed with him. "Well then, I'm doing you a last favor. I'll substitute you and you can go to Jiyeon. I'm giving you a chance to prove yourself, hyung."

I headed straight to my room when Daehyun grabbed my hand and whispered, "Myungsoo.... I won't give her up either." He eventually dropped it and went out of the door.

You've started this Myungsoo--- so you must end this yourself. I said to myself.

 

 

 

 

4115. Hanbok Hills. Gangnam Area. The said business meeting will take place here according to the piece of paper given by hyung. 

I observed the place and it sure looked like expensive, perfect for a business meeting. I went in and asked the receptionist, "Ahh- I came for the reservation under Mr. Kim Daehyun's name, " 

The receptionist scanned the computer and replied, "Ahh. You're in for a business meeting sir? This way please-" 

I nodded and followed her. We reached the room and the receptionist added, "Someone was already waiting for you sir, perhaps your business partner?" then she exited her way out from my eyes. 

I've never been to any meetings so I hope myself to do well- or else, Daehyun hyung will be messed up. I took a deep sigh and held the door handle. No going back. I slid the door and opened it.

 

-Daehyun's POV-

< Flashback >

It was a sunny day that day. But i never knew that something would suddenly make it gloomy. 

I took a stroll outside and watched the sceneries that were long-hidden from my eyes. I stopped by the sidewalk and waited for the spotlight to turn red. A few people were also waiting behind me and when the light hit red, we crossed the highway.

As i crossed the road with head held high, I saw someone familiar sitting inside the restaurant. A guy with a messy, brown hair was sitting with its back turned away from me, together with a girl.

Just then, I stopped at the center island and waited for the signal to cross. While waiting, I took the time to observe the guy and studied the physical structure of his body based on its back appearance. Then it turned its head for about 45 degrees and by that time, I recognized him. The light also turned red so my feet moved to cross the road. 

Myungsoo. It was my brother. And he's with someone. 

I reached the other side of the road and shifted my head a bit to have a glimpse on the person he' s with.

Oh? Its the girl from the airport. The girl who was crying like a child. If I'm not mistaken.... Park Jiyeon?

I looked at the restaurant and it was regarded as a place best for serving seaweed soup. 

Myungsoo and that girl-- they know each other? It looks like it though.

This time, Myungsoo stood up and went somewhere thus leaving Jiyeon behind. I hid myself behind the tree to prevent her from seeing my face. Then i calmly observed her ate like a wild animal who hasn't eaten for months. And for just a minute, she finished the whole bowl of soup.

Myungsoo then came back and by the look of his face, he was shocked that the bowl was already empty. It appeared as if Jiyeon wanted more and demanded another serve from Myungsoo. She continued eating and I stood there, quietly observing them. 

Finally, I was about to get out from behind the tree when I saw them come outside the restaurant. They were in a hurry and without knowing, I followed them and ran as well. But they suddenly stopped and I heard Jiyeon said something to Myungsoo. It was about getting late to school.

 

The next minutes, I found them and myself, walking in the streets of Gangnam. I put on my hood and managed to follow them without being noticed.

They stopped by a stall that sells ddukbokki and bought some. I also pretended to buy from the opposite stall and when I saw them walking forward again, I tailed as well. I admit they look cute when they're together and I can clearly see the happiness they have in their faces.

A meter apart from them, I saw Myungsoo stopped his pace and took time to wipe off the sauce from Jiyeon's face. I know its not something to be jealous of, but my heart felt exactly the same. It was throbbing because of jealousy. I shifted my eyes to a different area just to prevent my heart from exploding. And so I did not notice that one by one, drops of rain fell.

I hurriedly went to find some shelter and I found a convenience store with a slightly up roof. As i fitted myself there , I also spotted Myungsoo and Jiyeon standing on the store which was 3 meters away from me. I took my eyes off of them and focused on the raindrops but then I can't help to get curious of what they're doing.

Slowly, I took a glance at them and the thing I don't want to see appeared in front of my very own eyes. Myungsoo... has its back in front of me while its arms were wrapped around Jiyeon's. They were hugging each other tightly and seemed to be immersed into their own world.

My eyes shakened as i saw that scenery. I can't help but die in jealousness. I just bowed my head and clenched my fist in frustration. I know I can't get mad at Myungsoo but--- why him? Of all people to be my rival, why does it have to be my brother? Why?! 

The rain was still pouring hard but i decided to run through it and escape from the place. And thanks to the rain, my tears were concealed.

 

 

It was dark and I reached the house. I was shocked because there were many people inside, waiting for me. I tried to recall what happened and I remembered that it's my birthday today-- and that I have called for a celebration. 

I remembered Myungsoo and called him for the party. Nevertheless, I can still remember what happened back in Gangnam. "Hey Myungsoo-Its my birthday today right? Come home fast! Bring your friends too," I heard his reply then I hung up the phone. 

 

 

I was busy chatting with some old friends and suddenly a voice came.

"Jiyeon, Hyomin, this is my brother, Daehyun." Myungsoo stated. Hyomin and Jiyeon stood beside him. Jiyeon.... she was exactly the same as I saw her earlier. Cute and bubbly.

"I-- know you," I spoke.

 

 

 

The celebration was done and Myungsoo initiated to clean the mess. While I stood by the balcony, watched the stars and held a glass of wine.

"Myungsoo--- if you look at the stars, they look really far. But when i look at a shooting star..... how i wish i could just run and catch it-- but why do i have this feeling, that i can't catch it?"

"H-hyung, what do you mean?"

"Jiyeon by then, -- became the shining star of my life, and if she ever falls..... I would definitely catch her."

I thought that I might as well share my thoughts on this matter. And of course, to hear Myungsoo's reply. 

"H--hyung, do whatever.... you want," was his reply.

I was awestrucked by Myungsoo's sudden behavior. I at leas thought that he'd be angry or what. But instead, he disregarded my statement. Nevertheless, I could see that he was hurt. I know, and I can feel that he loves Jiyeon as much as I do, but I guess his love for me- prevails more than anything else. And guilt just filled my soul.

I stared back at the stars shining brightly in the sky, "Too bad. I think I won't be able to catch it then-- because that star, has already fallen for someone else."

--

The next day.

I came back to the house from taking a walk around the place. Perfect timing when I saw Jiyeon standing by the door. I greeted her and invited to come inside. She came in evetually and we talked in the living room. I decided to make her coffee so I went to the kitchen. 

When I finished making her coffee, I went back to the living room to give it to her but she already disappeared. I stood and stared at the coffee in my hand, "Tch. Maybe next time." 

There's nothing to be shocked anyway. Ever since I saw her standing by the door, I already knew that she wasn't interested into staying long. I knew she wasn't interested at me at all. Sigh. If not for my brother, she'll not waste her time coming here.

--

I was alone in the house, bored and lifeless. So i decided to go meet Jiyeon in her school.

I made my way to her school and along the highway, I texted her, telling that I have come to meet her. Coincidentally, I spotted her walking outside the campus so I called her and waved my hands. She seemed to look at me but she immediately turned her back.

Finally, I crossed the road and caught her attention. She shifted her attention to me too for the time being. I wrapped my arms around her shoulders jokingly and asked, "Where do you want to eat? I'm hungry--"

It lasted for about 3 seconds and she quickedly took my arms off from her shoulders and maintained a distance. 

"Hey, i was just goofing around," I said. She might have been offended by my sudden manners. But it seemed like it was not the case. Her face looked flustered and her eyes were fixed on a certain direction. I also looked at who or what she was looking at and determined someone.

Myungsoo--he just turned his back on us, crying. 

I looked at Jiyeon again and it felt like she was deeply affected by the fact that Myungsoo saw the two of us, together. So before she has said anything, I dragged her away. 

"Jiyeon, I know a good place to eat!!"

--

I woke up and temporarily sat on the couch. I breathed in fresh air and felt a good day ahead of me. Just then, as i took a sip of tea, Myungsoo stormed out of his room.

"Hyung, do you know what today is?"

I paused for a while and thought. "Today? Today is June 7 right?" 

He lowered his head and sat on the opposite couch. "Today..... is Jiyeon's birthday." 

"W--whaaatt?! Today? You mean, June 7?"

"Yeah."

"Myungsoo, why didn't you tell me yesterday?! Ughh. What should I do?"

"H-hyung, I suggest you buy her a ring,"

I stormed out of the house to go look for a ring. I found a jewelry shop and carefully looked at each ring. I feel really small right now. I don't even know when Jiyeon's birthday is. Plus, I didn't have any idea for her gift. If not because of Myungsoo, I would totally mess up. But--- Myungsoo must be really close to Jiyeon, for even the slightest details, he knows. I wonder if he has already prepared something for her too. 

Nevertheless, this will be my last shot. This day, will determine my future with Jiyeon. Either a success or a failure. 

"I'm taking this ring." I said to the saleslady.

 

 

 

Myungsoo and I arrived at Jiyeon's house. Judging by Myungsoo's look, it appears as if he's not in the mood to come. And I know the reason for that. Its because of me. Because he doesn't want to be hurt and to hurt me. And so I promised myself- if everything goes wrong today, I will stop.

We entered the gate and Hyomin spotted us immediately. She invited us to come in but Myungsoo was hooked with Woohyun who was also present at the party, so I went to the house myself.

I roamed around and found Jiyeon by the kitchen, alone. 

"Jiyeon-ah, happy birthday." 

"Myun- Daehyun, its you. Yeah, thanks." She wasn't shocked by my appearance but I was shocked when she thought I was Myungsoo. 

I shove off the bad thoughts away and focused on my purpose, "I have something for you," I took out the ring from my pocket and handed it to her. "I know its a bit too much, but I hope you'll like it." 

After saying those words, I exited out and gasped for air. I never knew I'd be that nervous.

 

 

Guests and visitors were talking and murmuring outside the house. I was sitting together wih Woohyun and Hoya when i noticed that Myungsoo disappeared. 

"Hey Woohyun, have you seen my brother?"

"Myungsoo? He was just right here earlier..."

"Maybe he's inside the house hyung," Hoya added.

"I'll take a look." I answered.

I went inside the house in hope to find him there. But i did not. I walked to the living room but there was no sign of him there. Then i headed to the kitchen but still, i have not found him. Instead, I found a door-- a backdoor maybe. I thought that maybe he went out there and had a breath of air in the back. So I approached the door and held the knob when I heard someone talking-

"Daehyun hyung.... did he already greeted you? I hope things turn out well for you two..." I recognized this voice.

"Myungsoo-- why do i feel that you keep pushing me to Daehyun? Why?"

"Daehyun hyung... was more like a parent to me. He has sacrificed all the precious things he has in life. I even remember when he gave up his very important board exam just to attend my graduation ceremony, because I had no parents to hand me my diploma. I clearly remember when he told me that I'll always have a hyung to be by my side.... a hyung whom i can always lean on..... a hyung who will always be there for me. And a hyung... like him. But during his birthday, he told me that he likes you... and from that time on, all of his sufferings and sacrifices for me came to memories. That's why I thought that maybe at least-- I could fulfill his dream even once... And that is by you. "

I froze in the position I was in and suddenly, I felt my knees went numb. My mind was confused and my heart was shaking inside. I wanted to cry but tears won't just flow. I wanted to scream by my voice became empty. I wanted to be angry-- not because Myungsoo was my rival... but because all this time, I have been blind. Guilt just surpassed my body and I can't control my emotions anymore. I fell on my knees and then I realized something. I was a stupid hyung after all. I was so stupid that even my brother, suffered for me. And I guess this will be the end... the end of my future with Jiyeon.

<< End of Flashback >>

"Hyung, when do you think true love is achieved? Is it by fighting for the one you love, or by giving up?"

"Myungsoo-ah... you need to fight. No matter what the circumstance is, you have to fight. Because by fighting, you know in yourself deep inside... that you are capable enough of loving, because you know that you would do whatever it takes for the one you love."

"R--really hyung? --I have to fight then... " Myungsoo stormed out of the house and ran despite of the pouring rain. And to me, it was pretty obvious as to where he's headed to. To Jiyeon. 

Fighting. Fighting for the one you love. But for me, it's giving up. Because I gave her up for you Myungsoo-- so that you can fight for her- for yourself.

-Myungsoo's POV-

I slid the door and opened it. I gathered myself and lifted my head to greet the business partner. But it wasn't the one i expected to be- It was not the said business partner. Her hair.. yellowish brown- and her blue eyes. It was someone familiar.

It was Jiyeon. 

I approached her and asked, "Jiyeon-ah... why are you here?"

"Me? Daehyun said he'll meet me here-- I'm also wondering why you're here Myungsoo?" she replied.

I sat down on the chair and wondered. "Eh? He told me that I'm going to meet my business partner here and that he set a meeting for us-- I don't understand," 

Just then, my phone beeped. It was a text message. Its from Daehyun hyung.

"Myungsoo... remember when I told you to fight for the one you love? I mean it. And I'm sorry... if ever I became a stupid hyung to you. I'm really sorry.... and I just want you to know that, even my life-- i would sacrifice for you."

I bursted into tears and just then i realized that I am grateful to have a hyung like him. Even in the toughest moments, even in his sufferrings, he never fails to think about me. All he wants, is for me to be happy. There is really no other hyung like him. And I'm fortunate that God has given him to me.

 

*HI IM BACK AGAIN. SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE XD SOOOOO HOW WAS THIS LONG CHAPTER? HONESTLY, I REALLY CRIED WHEN I WROTE THIS CHAPTER GUYS. ITS JUST SO-- HEARTBREAKING. AND AS I WROTE THIS, I ALSO THOUGHT ABOUT YOU, MY READERS <3 I WONDER WHAT YOUR REACTION WILL BE. BUT ANYWAYS, AFTER READING- PLEASE SUBSCRIBE AND LEAVE YOUR COMMENT!! *