Epilogue

By Day, By Night

 

“Ready?” Chanyeol asks, gripping my hand.

Taking a deep breath to steady my pounding heart, I reply, “Ready.”

The two of us stride into school together, hand in hand. The usual raucous din of our hallways quiet down as Chanyeol and I walk by. Guys and girls alike gape open-mouthed at us, whispering, “Oh my god, is that Glam? The Glam? With Chanyeol? Does she go to our school? Can I get an autograph?”

We near the members of Exo, who are standing by the water fountains, chatting animatedly about something. Chen suddenly an eyebrow and tilts his head. “Hey, why is it so quiet here,” he begins to say-

Then he spots me and Chanyeol.

All of Exo’s jaws drop, except for Lay’s. I had texted him, Kyong Mi, and Yuni last night, telling them what I was planning to do today.

You got this!  he winks from behind Kai, holding up a thumbs-up sign.

“G-Glam?” Baekhyun gasps. “Whoa, what are you doing here? Have you transferred here?” he asks hopefully. 

“Actually, I’ve been at Seoul Performance Secondary School as long as you have,” I reply smoothly.

The silence is deafening. Every eye in the hallway- including the teachers'- is turned upon us.

Everyone is listening to our conversation with bated breath.

Baekhyun furrows his eyebrows. “What are you talking about? I’m sure I would’ve seen you around.”

I can’t help but release a small titter. “Yeah, you really should’ve seen me around.”

The silence is broken by a loud, “MINAH!” Someone tackles me from behind, hugging me tightly.

“Kyong Mi,” I laugh, “get off me! You’re messing up my hair.”

"That doesn’t matter. Anyway, look at you! You actually did it!” she squeals, examining me from head to toe.

“Okay, hang on here.” Kris holds up his hands. “What is going on here?! I’m absolutely lost. Why did you just yell 'Minah', Kyong Mi?”

“You know my modeling name is Glam, right, Kris?” I ask him superiorly. He nods uneasily. “Well, do you know what my real name is?”

He frowns and scratches his head. “No. What is it?”

“My name is Kim Minah,” I tell him proudly. The sound of a collective gasp fills the air. “That’s right,” I continue, turning to the people watching us. “Kim Minah of the managerial department. You know. The girl who you called a loser, a nerd, creepy, freaky, all that? Yeah. It’s me.”

“I don’t believe you!” a shrill voice exclaims from near the door. It’s Moon Song Ri, one of the alleged “queenkas” of the school. She’s been one of the girls constantly making fun of me for “looking like the Grudge” and “being scarier than Mr. Choi’s face”.

I raise an eyebrow and slowly jaunt towards her, my footsteps echoing in the hushed hallway. Song Ri shifts from one foot to the other uneasily, peering up at me.

When I get face-to-face with her, I smirk.

“The behavioral management theory is often times called the human relations movement," I utter quietly. "This is due to the fact that is addresses the human dimension at work."

Song Ri’s jaw drops, and she lifts a shaking finger to my face.

“You-you-you explained this in class yesterday,” she gasps. “No. No way. This can’t be possible. How can Kim Minah of all people... how can you be a SUPERMODEL?!” Moon Song Ri lets out a banshee-like screech and sprints to the girls’ bathroom, slamming the door behind her.

There is silence again, until I ask casually, “Anyone else have any doubts about my true identity? No? Okay.”

I have something to add, though.” Kyong Mi marches to the middle of the hallway and shouts, “The truth is, I STAY UP UNTIL 3 AM READING FANFICTIONS! I SHIP FICTIONAL COUPLES LIKE THERE’S NO TOMORROW! AND I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!”

“I love video games as much as I love rapping.” Chanyeol says. “It doesn’t matter if you people judge me. We're just high schoolers. It doesn't matter what we all do.”

And suddenly, the hallway is filled with desperate yells of people proclaiming their deepest, darkest secret.

“I love Gucci more than I love any of you!” Tao sniffs haughtily.

“WHAT?!” Kris gasps.

"I’m obsessed with American pop culture and I love Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj!” Han Lee Jae announces. “AND I'LL KEEP LOVING IT NO MATTER WHAT!”

“To be honest, I don’t even want to be a dancer!” Choi Jin Ah huffs. “My mom made me do this. You know what? I want to go to culinary school!”

Teachers run down from the other wings of the school, frantically attempting to calm down the student body of Seoul Performance Secondary School. It doesn’t work though; they can't stop us from yelling and screaming and shrieking and making a huge noise. And all of a sudden, we all just look at each other: freshmen, sophmores, juniors, and seniors.

And we laugh.

It's because we've finally got it. We've finally let our truths run free. If we knew it would feel so good, we would've done it earlier. 

In all the commotion, I run over and wrap my arms around Chanyeol. 

"Thank you," I murmur in his ear. 

 


A/N: CRIES I FELT SO NOSTALGIC AND HAPPY WRITING THE ENDING TO THIS STORY! What did you think about the ending? :)

I have a new story, and it would be awesome if you would check it out (just click here)! The voting between my new fanfiction ideas was literally split 50/50, so I picked the one that I had a happy gut feeling about (that sounds awkward)

Anyway, thank you so much for reading By Day, By Night!