Chapter 14

By Day, By Night

 

Minah POV

I look around worriedly.

Where did Chanyeol go? It’s been half an hour since he went to the bathroom.

Not that I care. I just- I just-

Okay, fine.

Maybe I do care. He’s the only guy here that I’m semi-comfortable with (hating counts as being comfortable with a person), and I don’t want to spend the night at this party all alone.

I feel a tap on my shoulder. Turning around, I’m greeted by a smiling Lee Soo Man.

“How are you enjoying the party?” he asks.

“Good!” I reply politely.

Mr. Lee’s genial expression turns to one of confusion. “But where’s Chanyeol?” he asks.

I scratch my head. “Uh, well, he said he would go to the bathroom… some time ago,” I mutter. Mr. Lee groans.

“He’s done this again. Every time I require his attendance at a party, he always runs away,” Mr. Lee tells me angrily. “You know what? I’m putting my foot down. Chanyeol’s going to have severe punishments when he gets back to SM tomorrow.”

My jaw drops.

Severe punishment?

As much as I hate Chanyeol, I don’t really want that for him.

Who would want someone to have severe punishments?

“Wait! Mr. Lee!” I exclaim. “If I bring him back here, will you let him off this time?”

He looks at me hesitantly, then shrugs. “Maybe. But-,”

I don’t hear the rest of his sentence.

I’m too busy sprinting out the back door of the mansion.

Let's get this straight: I dislike Chanyeol, but I don’t want him to get in a lot of trouble.

I think back to the time when I skipped out on a modeling shoot, thinking that it was no big deal.

It resulted in my contract nearly being terminated and fines that I could barely manage to pay. 

No one should have to go through that.

What if Chanyeol's put on probation from Exo or something?

I run as fast as I can to the bus stop. Let's see, I think, panting. Where is Chanyeol most likely to be on a Friday night?

Wait a minute.

Is he at-

He's there, isn't he?

After the bus drops me off at the stop on Nagdae Street, I take off my heels and dash down the street to Slappy's Arcade.

It’s dark inside, lighted only with flashing neon lights and the bright screens of various video games. Tons of people are huddled around various video games, playing to their heart’s content.

“I’m sure he’s here,” I mutter, looking around. I’m starting to attract a few stares.

I’m still wearing my fancy party clothes and makeup, so I look pretty out of place amongst these casually-dressed people.

I walk around, searching for a screaming boy with crazy orange hair. Where could he-

“Hey there,” a deep voice says behind me, grabbing my forearm.

I whirl around and come face-to-face with a group of tall guys who look years older than me.

They’re all wearing oversized hoodies and leery expressions on their faces.

I feel a tremor of apprehension run down my spine.

"Hello, gorgeous. Want to go get a drink?” the man who’s holding on to my arm asks. His pungent breath causes me to cringe. “What’s wrong? Are you underage?”

He's gripping my arm so hard that I’m positive there's going to be a huge bruise there.

“Please let me go,” I attempt to say firmly, but it comes off as a terrified squeak instead. The group of men chuckle.

“You’re a real hottie,” another guy says. “Let’s go have some fun.” He tangles his fingers in my hair and I slap his hand away.

“Don’t touch me,” I hiss.

An ugly expression appears on his face. “Why, you little-,” He yanks my hair and I yelp. "Let's go now-"

Suddenly, the guy's knocked to the floor. I look up and see a tall figure, his crazy orange hair still visible in the dim light.

“What do you think you’re doing, you punks?” he growls.

“Chanyeol,” I whisper.

It’s the one true jerk himself, wearing an unusually serious expression.

When his eyes land on me his gaze softens momentarily, but then gets cold and distant again.

“Let’s leave, Minah,” he says, and grabs my hand and pulls me out the arcade.