Chapter 12

By Day, By Night

 

Minah POV

The next day at school is hell.

I had to stay up till 2 in the morning to finish my homework and to study for a Health Management test. When I arrive at first period there are deep, dark circles under my eyes and my hair is even scragglier than usual.

I hope I look a little better by tonight for Lee Soo Man's party.

And- oh god, I just remembered- we'll  be starting our project with the Performance Department today.

Which means working with Chanyeol.

I shudder. I don’t want to face Chanyeol today.

After yesterday’s shoot, it’s going to be really uncomfortable between us both. How can I forget the hugging and the touching and the... the everything?!

 Not five minutes after the bell’s rung the Performance Department kids trudge into our classroom. “Everyone take a seat next to your partner!” Mrs. Han says. The Managerial Department reluctantly scoots over to make space for their Performing partners. There are hisses and snarls all over the room.

I feel a tap on my shoulder. “Hey, move over,” Chanyeol tells me, smiling smugly for some reason.

I look at him with a confused expression on my face. Doesn’t he feel awkward talking to me after all our poses yesterday? He seems a little too… cocky.

“What’s wrong?” he asks. “You look extra tired today... did you have to do something yesterday, Glam?”

“What are you trying to do, Chan-Chan?” I growl. He chuckles and gets up close to my face.

“Just to make things clear, nothing’s changed because of yesterday. Nothing.” Chanyeol mutters in my ear.

“Why are you even bringing that up?” I demand. Why is he getting so close to me? I recall yesterday afternoon, where we had to hug each other and make disgusting y faces at each other and-

Great, my face is turning red.

“Today we’ll be starting an activity!” Mrs. Han tells us. “We have 6 stations set up around school. You and your partner will be assigned a station."

Chanyeol and I end up in Station 6, which is outside in the gardens. When we arrive there we see three teachers sitting at a long table set up in front of the peonies. Several other groups are standing around the table, talking to the teachers and holding papers.

“Good morning, you two.” one of the teachers greets us. She hands a blue sheet to me. “I’m assuming you’re the manager in this team. Now, you will have to fill out these questions. We will provide everything that you list on the paper. Answer as quickly as you can because you will be timed on this. You, on the other hand-,” she turns to Chanyeol, “must use the equipment your partner lists to perform. That won't be today, though.”

I grab the paper from her and take out a pencil.

“Ready, begin!” the teacher calls. I hurriedly flip over the paper.

The first question reads, “What equipment is necessary for a small-scale performance in a non-concert area?” I quickly list out all the possible things a performer may need for this, biting my lip.

The hairs on the back of my neck bristle. I feel Chanyeol's eyes on me. What is his problem? Why is he staring at me like that?

I attempt to ignore him and move on to the next question. “What is the cash flow value of a… hmm… okay,” I mutter, performing calculations for the value added.

I continue filling out the questions as fast as I can. “Chanyeol!” I whisper.

“What?” he replies.

“Has anyone finished yet? How are we doing?” I ask.

He looks around the room. “Everyone’s still working.”

I nod, and finally, after another few minutes, I finish writing my final answer. “I’m done! Let’s go!” I tell Chanyeol. We race over to the judge’s desk and I slam my paper down in front of them.

“Done!” I exclaim. The other groups sitting and working look up and give me evil glares.

“Nice job,” one of the teachers nods, impressed. “You two may take your seat.”

“Yes!” Chanyeol exclaims. I put my hand up for a high five, but instead he pulls me in for a hug.

And not a quick, friendly hug.

No, it's one of those awkward long hugs that make me want to run away and hide under a rock or something.

I quickly push him away. “Uhh, what are you doing?” I ask, my cheeks red. Chanyeol smirks.

“Why, can't I congratulate my partner?” he asks, winking.

I slap him upside the head.

"I hope I don't see you tonight." I hiss.