Chapter 23

By Day, By Night

 

Minah POV

“Lay, what are you doing?” I hiss. It's against the unspoken rules of high schoolers that the popular, attractive guys have no business talking to loser, no-life geeks like me. 

He's clearly violating this rule. 

He scratches his head. “I just want to talk to you. Is that so bad?”

“But why?” I ask confusedly. He shrugs.

“You seem... interesting,” he replies nonchalantly. "You seem like someone cool that I could have a good conversation with." 

I scratch my head confusedly. “Err... okay, I guess. So what should we talk about?” 

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Exo gaping at Lay and me like we just catapulted in through the roof via spaceship.

I feel a pang in my chest as I glimpse Chanyeol glare at us. He's already pissed at me. Now's he's going to be even angrier.

Why is he getting so annoyed with me and Lay talking anyway? 

Suddenly Chanyeol stomps away from us. Soon, Exo follows suit- minus the childish pouting expression that Chan-Chan had on his face. 

I swear, Won Bin is more mature than Chanyeol. 

I end up explaning my situation a little further to Lay, even telling him why I decided to make double identities; something I haven't even told Chanyeol, who's known my secret longer.

I don't know what it is about Lay- maybe the way he tilts his head and nods when I speak, or the way his eyes seem so soft and understanding- but I fee like I can trust him.

I think he may be an okay person.

Maybe. 

When I slide into my seat in first period just as the bell rings, Chanyeol shoots me a dirty look.

“Why were you talking to Lay?” he asks suspiciously. "How do you even know him?" 

“It’s none of your business,” I reply smoothly. Chanyeol sneers.

“Are you hitting on Lay of all people? Wow. He doesn’t even know-” Chanyeol is cut off by Mrs. Han clearing and throwing us a pointed expression. 

“No chit-chatting. Get started!” she commands, and Chanyeol and I reluctantly trudge out of the classroom.

As we’re walking towards the recording room so Chanyeol can use the professional recording equipment for his rap, several people walking by me in the hallway throw me scathing stares and superior smirks.

Unfortunately, the recording room is in a wing of the school on the other side of the building, so I have to deal with this for the whole 10 minute walk there.

“Are you still clinging on to Chanyeol, creeper girl?” some girl snarls in my ear, looking at Chanyeol, who is walking next to me and seems oblivious to all the people spitting their insults at me. “You’re so desperate. Get a life.”

I flush an unpleasant shade of red and slowly step away from her. “Please leave me alone,” I murmur softly, trying to appear meek and innocent (that way, if I end up getting in a catfight with her, I can claim she started it. Meek and innocent girls never start catfights. Right?)

The girl rolls her eyes and struts away, shooting Chanyeol a sickly sweet look while walking past him.

"Goodbye, gorgeous," she giggles as she flounces away.

I gag. The stench of her cloying perfume is still hanging around in the air. 

“God, this ,” I complain under my breath. “I don’t even know who half these people are and they're totally acting like I've been their sworn enemy their entire life.”

“So. You still haven’t answered my question.” Chanyeol tells me, interrupting my self-ranting. “Why. Were. You. With. Lay.”

“Fine, I'll tell you,” I snap. “He knows, okay. He found out about my secret.”

After a few minutes of gaping at me, Chanyeol recollects himself and retaliates, “That’s no excuse for you to talk to him,” 

“Have you ever considered the fact that maybe I’m talking to him because I want to talk to him?” I reply pointedly. “Because he isn’t a conceited douche who thinks the world revolves around him?”

His mouth drops and he’s about to reply when we suddenly hear, “Hey, look guys, it’s that Minah girl!”

I whirl around. After realizing who the owner of that voice is, I wince.

It’s Lee Min Hyun, one of the rudest guys in our grade. His father’s a wealthy car salesman so he thinks the world revolves around him and his money and his multiple cars. He’s followed by several of his fellow thugs, all decked out in designer brands.

“What’s the deal with you anyway, nerd girl?” he laughs. “You’re probably peeing yourself with excitement that you and your idol crush are in a group project together. Do you think that maybe Chanyeol will give a chance to an ugly girl like you?”

I my lower lip to keep it from quivering and I stare down at my feet.

I don’t know what it is about Lee Min Hyun that makes me feel so crappy about myself.

Maybe it’s his condescending sneer, his rude tone, his hurtful words that pierce my heart like arrows.

And maybe, just maybe, it's the fact that Chanyeol isn't defending me in the slightest. He isn't saying a single word, doing a single thing.

Heck, I would appreciate it if he would start fighting with me, just to give me an excuse not to listen to the people making fun of me.  

I know he doesn't give a crap about me but seriously? How can he just stand and watch someone being bullied? Especially when it's his fault

I thought we were on better terms than that.

“You’re an ugly stalker, Minah,” Min Hyun continues. “You don't belong in this school, you poor little-," 

“Shut the up.” An angry voice growls.

I look up in shock. Chanyeol’s jaw is clenched and his hands are balled into tight fists.

“Whoa, whoa, what’s up with you, Chanyeol?” Min Hyun says, a hint of nervousness creeping into his voice. "I'm taking care of Kim Minah for you. Don't worry, man-," 

"I don't want to hear another word from you, you little twit. Go find something else to do apart from messing with her." Chanyeol hisses. 

Is Chanyeol actually standing up for me? 

A/N: Yay for extra long chapters!