Chapter 26

By Day, By Night

 

Chanyeol POV

The sound of my phone's upbeat ringtone wakes me up from my nap.

“Hello?” I say groggily.

"Hey, Chanyeol,” a sweet voice purrs from the other side of the phone.

I abruptly sit up. It’s Kyong Mi.

“Hey, what’s up?” I reply.

“Would you like to go on a double date with me on Friday? Day after tomorrow?” Kyong Mi asks. “It’ll be fun, I promise.”

“Of course.” I grin. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

"Good.” Kyong Mi laughs in an incredibly strange way. I uneasily furrow my eyebrows.

If I didn’t know that she has the mental capacity of a hyperactive squirrel, I would’ve said she sounds... devious.

I hang up and am about to go to sleep when the door to my bedroom is slammed open and 11 boys run in. 

“Wake up, Chan-Chan!” Chen exclaims, tackling me. “We’re going to the mall!”

"What? Why?” I ask, kicking Chen off of me.

“Manager just called and said our presence was required at some store opening there.” Suho shrugs. “We have to get ready.”

A few minutes later after I've hastily pulled on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, all of us are packed in the back of our Manager’s car, who briefs us in on our schedule for tonight.

“You guys are going to get your hair and makeup done, of course,” he tells us, reading from a list while driving (not the safest course of action), “and you have to models at the event-,”

“Wait, models?!” Kai grins, rubbing his hands together. “Sweet!”

I shake my head. Every time someone says the word "model", I immediately think of her. 

She won't be there... right?

We arrive at the back entrance of COEX Mall, where we’re whisked inside the building and given new clothes to change into: a white button down shirt and dark slacks for each of us. T

hen the makeup artists do their work on our faces and we’re finally ready to go.

Or so I thought.

“Yo! Boys! Get over here. You have to pair up with an !” Manager yells, and I turn around. 12 girls are standing in front of the mirrors, all dressed in beautiful evening gowns and twirling their hair like they don’t give a flying pancake about what’s going on.

All except for one girl standing near the left, who’s nervously looking down and biting her lip.

I stifle a groan.

Of course. Minah.

Or should I say, Glam.

“So we’ll let the ladies pick who they want.” Manager nods. “Soo Jin, you go first.”

“Hey,” Kyungsoo whispers in my ear. “Is that who I think it is? Glam?” When I nod, he lets out a very un-manly squeal. “Oh my gosh, she’s here! I hope she picks me!”

I roll my eyes and look back at Minah. It’s her turn, now, and I know who’s she’s obviously going to pick. I am the only one here that she feel comfortable with-

“Lay.” Minah and Lay exchange a grin and Lay walks over to stand by Minah. He jokingly proffers her hand and she accepts, giggling.

My jaw drops. 

What. The. Heck.

WHAT?! Seriously? Why is she choosing Lay? I'm far more superior to him anyway!

Minah catches my eye for a second and I scowl at her. She should have chosen me. We’ve known each other longer, right?

It’s not fair.