Chapter 31

By Day, By Night

 

Chanyeol POV

What the-

Did I just catch Minah spying on me? 

She’s gaping at me with wide eyes, opening and closing like a goldfish. She looks absolutely petrified.

“Um,” she squeaks, clearing a little. “H-Hi, Chanyeol.”

Literally every eye in first-class is on us right now, including the perky flight attendant's. I curl my lip. Seriously? Do people find this really that interesting? This is like a freaking episode of a soap opera, idol edition.

All I want to do is get back to my Nintendo DS. I don't like this situation.

I don't like anything. 

“What-,” I reply, but Minah cuts me off.

“So what game are you playing? It looks pretty interesting, ya know? Won Binnie used to play video games all the time but then he stopped going to Slappy’s and he doesn’t really play anymore so I haven’t really-,”

“It’s just Mario Kart,” I reply slowly, looking at her strangely. She abruptly stops talking, and takes a deep breath. This conversation is so awkward.

She doesn’t seem to remember the whole incident that occurred, and how it’s all my fault.

I'm kind of happy that she's... actually talking to me right now, though. It's nice. It reminds me of days past. 

I’m about to say something- anything- else to keep the conversation going, when Lay walks over from his seat and, after pushing Onew out of his seat, sits down next to Minah.

“Are you having fun so far sitting down and doing nothing on this airplane?” he asks teasingly.

And that’s my cue to turn around and restart my Mario Kart game. I hear giggles behind me, and Minah and Lay chattering about something secretively. She’s... happy now. She doesn’t need me anymore- no, scratch that, she never needed me, really.

At least she has Lay.

I hear someone cough in front of me and I look up. Hyoyeon's looking at me pitifully, shaking her head. "Come on, dude, you can do better than that," she whispers, and I send her a death glare and return to my video game. 

What is Hyoyeon talking about? I'm perfectly fine. I didn't even really want to hold a conversation with Minah anyway. 

I didn't. 

 

“Wow! It’s beautiful!”  Victoria squeals, pressing her face against the plane window.  We’re 10 minutes from the Macau International Airport, and although I haven’t looked out the window myself, all the excited gasps coming from everyone must indicate that it’s beautiful outside.

I don’t really care, though. I’m a little busy trying to get 1st place on Rainbow Road.

Walking through Macau International Airport is less hectic than walking through Incheon Airport back in Seoul. All of us are more well-known over there. Still, we attract some attention over here as well.

“Excuse me, are you Chanyeol from Exo?” two girls wearing matching skirts and tank tops ask. When I nod yes, they grin flirtatiously. “Can we get your autograph pleeease?” the girl wearing the blue tank top says coyly. 

“Uh, can you hang on a sec? I kinda have to finish my game.” I reply apologetically. The girls exchange looks and suddenly burst into laughter.

“Oh Chanyeol, you’re so cute!” she smiles. “We’ll leave you to your video game. But we’re getting a picture of you first!”

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Minah looking at me and the girls curiously. Great, now she has to witness my state of perpetual awkwardness. Giving the camera a pained smile, I hold up two fingers for the picture.

“It was nice meeting you!” the girls finally say, and run off giggling. I cover my face, blushing madly. That was horrible. 

"Oh, Chanyeol.” Tao sighs, slapping my back. “What happened to the player who used to take a hundred selcas with a different girl every day?”

“Why do you care?” I ask grumpily, stowing my stylus back into my backpack.

“Dude, we’re going to get you back to your former self, okay?” Chen tells me, coming up on my left. “As soon as we hit the beach today we’ll scout out some bikini babes for you, and you'll be her name in no time. No need to thank us.”

"Wh- do you really think I'd have with some random girl?" I yell. 

"It wouldn't be the first time," Tao snorts. 

And they run away laughing while I splutter madly, unable to voice any articulate thoughts. 

Beach? Bikini babes? Yeah, right. I’m staying in my hotel room. There’s no way those two are actually serious about forcing me to the beach.

 

Three hours later, I find myself in nothing but a pair of red swim trunks and suntan lotion, sitting on warm beach sand right in front of the ocean.

“Hey! Chanyeol! Are you having fun?” Chen asks, snickering madly. I reply with a very heartfelt middle finger.

“I’m leaving. This is stupid,” I snort, and stand up to leave, ignoring Tao and Chen’s protests. Weaving my way through the beach crowd, I navigate my way back to The Venetian, the fancy high-class hotel we’re staying at. Who needs the sun and the beach when you have air conditioning and chocolate fondue fountains and an Xbox especially calibrated in your bedroom by the room service staff of your hotel?

Suddenly, a shout from one of the swimming areas draws my attention.

“Glam, sweetie, stop worrying! Now relax and tilt your head!”

Glam.

Minah.

Curiously, I tiptoe to the door of the swimming area...

And my jaw drops. 

 


inserts unicorn noise