Chapter 35

By Day, By Night

 

Chanyeol POV

I end up having to force Chanyeol to go to the beach.

See, he didn’t want to go because he claimed it was “boring”, which is totally not true. There are lots of things to do at the ocean, including sports. I admit: I'm extremely competitive. 

It feels nice pwning people at things. 

When Lay called me to ask if I was going to the beach and I mentioned that Chanyeol was coming as well, he was pleasantly surprised. 

"So you two are on good terms now?" he asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "We made up with each other last night." 

 The other end of the line goes dead silent. “Hello? Lay?” I said, frowning at the phone.

“Minah,” he finally said, the tone of his voice impassive. “I only have one question for you.”

“W-What?" 

“You and Chanyeol... you used a , right?”

I gaped at the phone for an entire minute, then screeched, “Oh my god, Lay, we didn’t do that!”

Why does he always jump to crazy conclusions?!



 

 

Now that we’ve reached the beach and I’m lying on a comfortable towel placed upon the warm sand, I have the perfect opportunity to watch Chanyeol play beach volleyball with the rest of Exo.

The grumpy look on his face (Chen and Tao forced him to play, screaming something about “babes and bed”) causes no detraction from his amazing looks. He’s topless, only wearing baggy blue swim trunks, and sunscreen is glistening off his perfectly formed abs. Running a hand through his disheveled dark hair, he uncomfortably avoids the bikini-clad girls who crowd around him, squealing about how good he is at beach volleyball. 

The sight causes me to smile slightly. If this were the Chanyeol of 5 months ago, he would’ve welcomed the girls with open arms, and probably taken a few of them to bed, only to forget about them the next day. But now he’s so lackadaisical about hot girls. He doesn't go and hit on every female in the vicinity. 

It makes my respect and adoration for him grow even more. 

I stand up and walk over to where Chanyeol’s standing in the sand.

“Hey, can I join in?” I ask. When he sees me, his eyes widen and he quickly nods his head.

“Yeah, of course, Min-Glam!” he replies, hastily correcting himself. “You can be on my team.”

“Oh no she won’t.” Kai interrupts furiously. “Your team already has 2 more people than we do. We’re taking Glam.” He grabs my arm and leads me over to his side of the net, where he, Sehun, Kris, and Xiumin are standing.

"Okay, Glam, here’s the plan,” Kai whispers. “Aim for Chanyeol. Always aim for Chanyeol.”

“Wha- why?” I demand.

“Just do it!” Kai exclaims. “I think it'll work. He might mess up, giving us an opportunity to win. I told you, we have a strategy worked out.”

Strategy, my . As soon as Suho slams over a killer spike over, Kai, Sehun, Xiumin, and Kris all squealed and ducked for cover.

Really, guys? Come on! Toughen up!” I yell, marching over to where they’re shivering on the ground. “Be more aggressive! Go hit that ball back over!”

“But-,” Sehun mumbles, but I cut him off.

“No buts! Just go do it!” I stomp back out to my position and squat down in a ready position. “Let’s go!”

Our game transforms from a lighthearted game of beach volleyball to an intense competition. My teammates and I work as hard as I can to keep the score in our favor. Unfortunately, Chanyeol's team’s points are steadily increasing while our team’s points are stagnant.

This does not bode well for me at all.

“You wimpy little boys!” I roar. “We should be winning right now! You better not miss the ball anymore.”

"I didn’t know models could be this terrifying,” Xiumin whispers to a shaking Kris.

"I can feel the demonic aura radiating from her," Kai squeaks, but I glare at both of them, effectively shutting them up. 

B with determination, I ready myself for the last point of the game. We've decided to play it sudden-death style: if Chanyeol’s team wins this point, then they win the entire match. If we win the point, we win the game.

Luhan serves to our side, and Kris passes the ball back over the net. When Chen bumps the ball to Tao, Tao flings his arms wildly, causing the ball to fly up high in the sky.

“It’s mine!” I call, and with all my strength I slam the ball down on the other side of the net- hitting Chanyeol square in the stomach.

"YES! We won!" Sehun yells, and high-fives me in triumph. Our team is celebrating and chanting "We win! We're awesome! Oh yeah!" when suddenly I hear a panicked, "He's hurt!" 

I turn to the other team and my jaw drops.

Chanyeol is sprawled out onto the sand, and clutching his stomach. His face is contorted into an agonized expression of pain.

Oh no. What have I done? 

"CHANYEOL!" I scream, and run over to his side.