Chapter 24

By Day, By Night

 

Chanyeol POV

I wasn’t going to stand up for her.

I’m still mad at her.

But when I saw Min Hyun launch those hurtful words at her, and Minah's eyes fill with tears...

“Just shut up and leave. We’re supposed to be working on a project right now, and you’re getting bothersome.” I grab Minah’s hand and pull her away, leaving Min Hyun and his cronies gaping at us, dumbfounded.

"What are you doing, Chanyeol?!" Min Hyun shouts behind me. I pointedly ignore him. 

When we're out of their sight, Minah yanks her hand away from my grip.

“You can let go of my hand now,” she murmurs.“And thanks, I guess."

When she thinks I'm not looking, Minah rubs the tears from her eyes.

Despite myself, I feel compassion swell up in my chest. Minah doesn't deserve to be treated like this by other students at all.

If she could just come to school one day all dressed up...

If they really knew who she was...

Everyone would be bowing down to her. 

Even Exo. Although Lay's doing a pretty good job of it now. 

When we arrive at the recording room, I grab a pair of headphones and enter the recording booth, pulling the microphone towards me. Minah takes a seat in front of the glass pane separating the recording booth from the rest of the room.

“Start,” she says.

But before I start rapping, I take off my headphones and walk out of the recording booth, taking a seat next to Minah.

“What?” she says. “Go back in. We have to start now, your performance is-,”

“Why can’t you stand up for yourself?” I ask abruptly. “I know you can defend yourself perfectly fine. You don’t have to take all that crap from other people. Why’re you acting so... weak?”

“I’m trying to stay inconspicuous,” she mumbles, but I shake my head.

“That doesn’t mean you have to be a target for verbal abuse,” I tell her.

“That’s rich, coming from you,” she snorts. “You’re the one that says mean things to me most of the time anyway.”

“That’s because you- you’re frustrating!” I exclaim. “And don’t act like you don’t say bad things about me too-,”

“Ugh, just go and record your stupid rap!” Minah snaps.

“Fine!” I stomp into the recording room and slam the door behind me. Minah glares at me murderously from behind the glass pane. I clench my teeth. This girl is the most ANNOYING-

I clear my throat and give Minah a curt nod, signaling for her to start the music. She jabs the “play” button and sits back, crossing her arms and giving me a scathing look.

When my music cue comes, I start rapping. I begin to lose myself in the moment.

I’m good at this. I know what I’m doing.

As I record my piece, concentrating on getting the perfect rhythm and flow to my words, I do the best I can, trying to follow the music perfectly. 

And when I open my eyes, I’m rewarded with the sight of Minah looking at me with wide eyes and clapping, her eyebrows raised in surprised admiration.

“Nice job,” she says. “You’re better than I thought you were.”

“Have you even listened to a single one of Exo’s songs?” I ask her. "If you had, then you'd see how good I am."

Minah shakes her head sheepishly.

“Well, if you didn’t know already, I’m a good singer, too.” I clear my throat and bleat, “GIRLS’ GENERATION MAKE ‘EM FEEL THE HEAT-,”

“Stop!” Minah shrieks, giggling madly. “Chanyeol, that was spectacular, but I have to say I’m a better singer than you.” She takes a deep breath and screeches, “YOU ARE MY POISON, YOU ARE MY POISON!”

“Oh my ears,” I gasp, clutching at my head, which elicits a gasp from Minah.

"Are you insulting my singing?" she asks in mock shock. "I'm going to pummel you!" Laughing, she chases me all around the recording room, brandishing a pair of headphones. 

This is the side of Minah that I like about her. The side that’s not always serious and withdrawn and annoying.

The real side of her.