Chapter 25

By Day, By Night

 

Minah POV

Lay texts me in the middle of 6th period, asking if I want to grab a coffee with him after school.

Sure, I type back, smiling slightly.

I’m still a bit exhilarated from earlier this morning- the events in the recording room. Chanyeol’s such a goof. I didn’t know he could be so fun to be with...

My thoughts are interrupted by the bell ringing, signaling the end of the period. I grab my books and my backpack and am about to walk out the door when someone grabs my hand and stops me.

It’s Kyong Mi.

“Y-Yes?” I stutter nervously.

It’s intimidating even being in this girl’s presence.

And right now, she doesn’t look too pleased.

“You know Chanyeol, right?” Kyong Mi asks coolly. “Are you dating?”

“What? Of course not!” I exclaim, slowly backing away from this girl. 

Please let this not be one of those horrible “back off, ” talks, given from the popular girl to the school nerd.

“Kim Minah.” Kyong Mi steps closer and closer to me, her expression darkening. “You... better get together with Chanyeol.”

“I- wait, what?”

“You two are so cute!” she exclaims, flailing her arms about. “This is exactly like a fanfiction I’m reading, where the nerd gets together with the popular boy and- ahhh!” Kyong Mi bounces up and down excitedly. Suddenly she freezes.

"Did I just say... fanfiction?" she asks. 

I nod slowly, wondering what the hell is going on.

"Uhhh... I- I- okay, well, the cat's out of the bag anyway." Kyong Mi sighs. "Can I talk to you after school? Don't tell anyone though." Kyong Mi giggles. "Bye!" 

I stay frozen in place, absolutely dumbfounded.

And that’s how I end up in Honey Café after school, chewing on a cherry tart while Lay and Kyong Mi talk animately next to me. These two are the most talkative people in the world, I swear.

Kyong Mi’s nothing like I expected her to be. Apparently, she reads fanfictions more than she reapplies her lip gloss (her words, not mine), and she enjoys writing sonnets as well. 

And here I thought she was a dimwit.

“Lay! Hey, Lay!” Kyong Mi snaps her fingers in front of Lay’s nose. “We have to get Minah and Chanyeol together.”

“HUH?!” I exclaim. “Kyong Mi, you were making out with him a few days ago. What happened to liking him?”

“He’s just a boy toy,” Kyong Mi dismisses me with a wave of her hand. “I don’t actually like him.”

“Chanyeol does have a lot of girlfriends,” Lay admits, shoving a spoon of vanilla cake in his mouth.

“Even I know that,” a voice says behind me. I whirl around.

“Hey, Yuni,” I grin. She winks.

“So, what is this about getting Minah and Chanyeol together?” she asks Lay and Kyong Mi.

“You guys,” I say, giggling. “Stop it. I don’t like him that way.”

“Use Lay to make Chanyeol jealous! Or you can lock him in a closet and seduce him by wearing lace !” Kyong Mi chirps, causing me to spit out my cherry soda.

“What kind of fanfictions have you been reading?” Lay asks curiously.

Kyong Mi chuckles evilly. “Ones where you and Kris-,”

"Enough!” I bang my hand on the table. “I... honestly worry about you guys.” Kyong Mi beams like I've just complimented her. 

"I'm going to plan a surprise for you tomorrow," she smiles mysteriously. "Meet me at the ice skating rink tomorrow night." 

Shoot. I can't. I have a shoot for some up-and-coming handbag line. 

"Um... I can't make it tomorrow, sorry." I apologize. "But I can come the day after!" 

"Great!" Kyong Mi scrawls her number on my hand. "I'll see you there." She grabs her bag and flounces out the door. 

If you had told me a week ago that I would be goofing around with Sehun’s girlfriend, a member of Exo, and the most popular girl in school, then I would’ve laughed in your face and taken you to a hospital.

But strangely enough, they seem pretty... cool. Even if Kyong Mi serious scares the heck out of me.

It kind of goes to show: everyone has their secrets. For me, it’s modeling. For Chanyeol, it’s gaming. For Kyong Mi, it’s writing.

And as Lay and I exchange shy smiles, I realize something.

Congratulations to me. I’m not a friendless loser anymore.