Chapter 27

Love Bites

---Jonghyun's POV---

"Rule #1: You're not supposed to let anyone know you.

Rule #2: You're supposed to dance and switch partners during the dance.

Rule #3: Stay as calm as possible, treat this ball as something relaxing."

 

"Key! Stop reapeating it! We know it already." Onew said exasperatedly as he checked his hair in the mirror. Jonghyun rolled his eyes as he picked up his mask which was lying on the table. "Aww..." Key complained.

"Enough talking and get your mask." Minho ordered. "We're all going to be late, if you keep talking." Taemin gave a little laugh and fiddled with his mask. Then he said, "Seriously, these masks are sort of weird." Jonghyun didn't say anything. But he sort of he agreed with Taemin. Key had gotten the masks for them, right. But the masks were made up of translucent colured plastic. They looked kind of funky, like the mordern sort.

Minho's one looked like a pair of spectacles, except that on top of the mask there were like messy pieces of shapes? Ah nevermind. It was a little hard to describe. Jonghyun's looked like a power ranger sort of mask. Interesting.

Key just retorted, "Hey! These are new designs okay?" "Which explains the weirdness of them all." Jonghyun added. Minho and Onew chuckled. Key glared at him. "What?" Jonghyun asked innocently.

Their clothing was a little hard to decribe, like a micture of casual and formal. Leave it to Mr Designer's imagination. But actually, they were quite nice. When they put on the masks, they looked sort of mysterious.

"Well, Kibum. I really have to thank you for the clothes." Minho said as he looked at his reflection in the mirror. Key grinned and then bent doen to wear his shoes. Taemin kept fiddling with things, since he was already done dressing up. He touched his hair, checked his mask, tied knots in his shoelaces, etc.

Jonghyun sat down on the sofa and waited. His phone buzzed and realised that Jessica had sent him a message. I think you won't be able to recognise me. I look awfully different. All of us look different. He texted back: No worries. I can always find you. Anyway, it's a masquerade ball, I'm not supposed to recognise you. :P

Just then, Minho patted his shoulder and said, "Ya. Get up, we're going. Manager hyung is waiting for us." Jonghyun slipped his phone into his pocket and stood up. He walked out of the dorm while putting on his mask.


---Taemin's POV---

It felt more like birds in his stomach. Taemin was excited, and worried about the ball. He wanted to know how Yoona looked like. The problem was, how he was going to find her. Sigh...

Taemin could barely keep still in the car. Minho kept telling him to calm down but he could not. For no reason, he took out his phone and looked at it. Then he realised that Yoona had messaged him. It read: Taeminnn! We're already @ school. Where are you??? He was about to text back when Onew asked manager hyung, "Hyung, are we reaching soon?" Manager hyung smiled and said, "Almost there. Hey! Look out of the window."

All of them looked out and gasped. The road leading to the school's main gates was decorated with colourful lanterns, big and small. Fairy lights draped the street lamps. Taemin said as he sat back at this seat, "I'm starting to think that the theme is something like fairytale." No one said anything. Then after a while, Key exclaimed, "Omo! Look at the school!"

Taemin could understand why he had screamed. The school was all lighted up, in the sense that lights decorated the walls of the school all around. The main door of the school had twinkling lights in the shape of cupids decorated on it. Taemin noticed there were getting more and more 'snow' as they closed in to the school. Fake snow of course. But it was amazing. The snow created this cute feeling as it hung on the bushes and lamp posts.

Then manager hyung stopped the car at the sidewalk near the school gate. "Okay kids. See you all later! Have a good time!" he said. "Thank you!" they chimed as they got out of the car. Manager hyung waved at them and drove off.

They stood up in one line and walked to the school gate. There were lots of students coming in and out of the door. People were arriving in their cars. The girls were all dressed in dresses. The boys were wearing suits. All were wearing masks.

"No sign of the girls." Minho noted. Then Taemin said, "Oh. They're inside already. Yoona texted me just now." They nodded their heads and walked into the school. The ball was at the hall. Wait, it rhymed. Nevermind.

The moment he stepped into the hall, he got this feeling as if he were in a fairytale. The high plain ceiling of the hall were studded with large luminiscent diamond shaped lamps that glowed blue and purple, creating a really cool atmosphere. Lanterns (again) hung from the high ceiling, glowing pink and orange. Then, there came the food table. People were hustling and bustling around it, talking to their friends. He instantly saw a chocolate fountain. He bagan his lips.

Then Minho said, "Okay, let's look for the rest now." They agreed and split up. Taemin instantly went to the buffet table. He took an egg sandwich and ate it heartily. Gosh he was starving. Then he went for the chocolate fountain. He put some marshmellows on a stick and went to plaed it in the pool of chocolate below. Then he took it out and savoured the marshmellows.

Just then, somebody tapped him from behind. Taemin soun around and saw a girl wearing a silver mask staring at him. "Hi oppa!" the girl greeted. Taemin knew that voice too well. "Er... Hi Sulli." he said. "How did you recognise me with my mask on?" Sulli giggled and answered, "Oh! Its because of your hair. It just looks so cute!" She reached out to ruffle his hair but he took a step back.

"Okay um... Sulli? I need to go." Taemin told the girl. He suddenly had this urge to escape.How did Sulli know that he had changed his hairstyle? He hadn't even told her. Before Sulli could say anything, he walked away quickly and blended into the crowd. He kept looking back to see if Sulli was following him. Then, he accidentally knocked into a girl. Her little tiara on her head fell off.

"Oh sorry!" Taemin apologised as he bent down to pick it up. When he pressed the jewellery into the girl's hands, he looked at the girl's face. He gasped. "Yoo-yoona!" The girl asked in a curious voice, "Taemin?" "Yeah!" he replied. He was still feeling a little shocked. Not because he had found Yoona. but she looked stunning. She had this mask that was covered in gold dust and the metal behind it glimmered. Her dress... Wow.

Taemin wasn't a fan of fashion like Key hyung, but he knew that Yoona's dress was really beautiful. It was pale yellow, and the skirt was up to her knee. It looked like an evening dress. The skirt was netted and had some sort of gems sewed onto it, so it shimmered. The dress' waistline was lined with mini sunflowers. The top part was yellow, but it was wrapped with some pieces of white netting, so that it stuck out of one of her shoulders like a bunch of feathers. Awesome.

Yoona smiled as she took the tiara jewellery back from Taemin and fixed it back on her hair. Then she said, "Stop gaping. You look like a goldfish." Taemin instantly shut his mouth and said, "You look so pretty tonight." "Gee thanks," Yoona replied. "You mask, is really something." Taemin instinctively brought his hands to his mask. He  a part that was sticking out like a unicorn's horn. "Ah... Well, Key hyung chose it fro me. He said that it was the latest thing." Yoona laughed and said, "As expected. I knew you wouldn't choose these kind of things."

They took each other's hands as they walked away. "Have you tried the chocolate?" Taemin asked, feeling random. Yoona answered, "Yeah! It was awesome." They then sat on one of the makeshift benches in the hall.

"Later on, you're dancing with me."

"Of course. You can count on that."


---Jonghyun's POV---

It was about five minutes before the ball officially started, and he hadn't found Jessica yet. Minho was getting worried. He said as they weaved through the crowds, "Seriously, are girls that hard to find?" "No they're not. You attracted Yuri pretty easily, and you have lots of fangirls." Jonghyun joked. Minho glared at him and then sighed.

After a while, Jonghyun and Minho walked past a lounging area, which was partitioned with day curtains for several of them. Jonghyun pointed to one of the areas, and whispered to Minho, "Look over there. Jang Min's there." Minho looked to where he was pointing and he made a sour face. "Plus... f(x)." Which was true.

f(x) and Jang Min's goons were sitting together in the partitioned lounging space and were talking away. Jonghyun and Minho walked closer to them. Jonghyun heard Sulli laughing and pointing to the top of her head and saying, "Did you see Taemin's mask? His looked like a deformed unicorn!" And everybody laughed. "A unicorn." Jang Min laughed stupidly.

Minho grabbed Jonghyun's arm and said, "Let's go." Then they walked away, without saying anything more about Jang Min. "That guy deserves a smack on the face." Minho grumbled. Jonghyun nodded and they walked. "Come on, they must be here somewhere." Jonghyun said.

After a few minutes, they saw Onew sitting at one of the couches with a bunch of girls, obviously SNSD. Jonghyun could spot Taeyeon immediately, because she was wearing a green dress, which well enough symbolised something.

"Hey ladies." Minho said as they leaned on the edge of the sofa. Onew looked up at them. Hw grinned at them and said, "Hi guys!" Jonghyun rolled his eyes. The girls started giggling. "Okay, where's Yuri? She doesn't seem to be here." Minho asked as he looked around. One of the girls looked up. Jonghyun saw that she was wearing a red mask. He guessed that it was Sunny. Argh it was so annoying that he couldn't recognise his friends, except for SHINee.

The girl replied, "Yuri went off just now, to the dancing area. She thought you'd be there." Yep, it was Sunny. She was wearing a red and black dress. "Where's Key and Taemin, Onew?" Jonghyun asked as Minho hurriedly went away to find Yuri. Onew answered, "Key just went off with Sooyoung, for-" 'Food." Taeyeon interupted. "Yeah." Onew agreed. "And erm... Taemin mysteriously diappeared."

Jonghyun nodded his head. "Where's Jessica?" Jonghyun asked. Onew started smiling and he pointed behind him. The girls were giggling like crazy. Jonghyun turned behind him and saw Jessica grinning at him. 

"Uh..." Jonghyun started to say but he suddenly realised that his voice stopped working. Jessica looked AWESOME. Her blue dress was pretty. It swished around her feet as she walked. "Hi." he managed to say. They laughed. 

"See? I told you you won't be able to recognise me." she said.


---Jonghyun's POV---

Jessica grinned and went to stand beside him. "How did you get so pretty?" Jonghyun asked dumbly. Jessica gave him a wry smile and said, "Haha." 

Just then, the lights on the stage lit up and Mrs Jeong appeared. 

She gave a speech, and then the moment she said, "Let the dance begin!" The whole place dimmed and coloured stage lights started swinging around.

Jonghyun looked back and saw the girls leaving with the Super Junior hyungs (probably) and they made their way to the dancing area. Onew whispered in his ear, "Good luck." then he walked off. Jonghyun stared at him as he walked away. Onew was weird, in a lot of ways. At least he was funny when he was weird.

Jonghyun and Jessica then followed the rest to the dance floor. They had been learning a dance it dance lessons at school, which took them no effort to learn, beacuse 1. they were trained in dancing and 2. the dance was really easy. The music started - apparently the dance was a ballroom dance (sheesh).

Jonghyun stood awkwardly at the side as people gathered around to dance. Minho suddenly walked out from behind him holding Yuri's hand. He whispered as he went past, "Go and ask Jessica for the dance! Hurry!" Then he walked away. 

He looked at Jessica, who was looking at the decoration hanging from the ceiling. "Um... Jessica?" he started. She looked at him immediately and asked, "Hmm?" Jonghyun suddenly felt nervous, for some reason. He up his guts and bowed and asked, "Dearest Jessica, may I have this dance?" Jessica laughed and nodded her head. They held hands and went to the dancing grounds.


---Tiffany's POV---

She was a nervous wreck at the ball. She was worried that no one might ask her to dance. The rest of them, even SNSD had partners. Tiffany sighed as she  walked along the sides of the hall. She adjusted her mask so that she could see properly. 

Tiffany had slipped away from f(x) a while earlier when their talk had bored her. Her pink dress swished around her knees and the feather boa was starting to tickle her neck. She wished she hadn't worn it.

A while later, Mrs Jeong went up stage and gave a speech. After that, she declared the ball to start and Tiffany felt that mice were running inside her stomach again. She knew nobody would ask her to dance. With her mask on, she was just Hwang Mi Young, not Tiffany of SNSD. Nobody knew her. Yes, she was jealous that Onew was so attracted to her, but f(x) had told her not to speak to him much, so... Yeah.

Tiffany felt like melting into the shadows when the dance was about to start. Then, somebody tapped her on her shoulder. She turned around and saw a boy staring at her. "Yes?" she asked consciously. "Who are you?" The boy smiled. Suddenly Tiffany realised that the smile was really familiar. It was...

"I'm Wooyoung! Have you forgotten?" he grinnedas he spoke. Tiffany suddenly felt embarrassed. "Oh yeah. Sorry." she mumbled sheepishly. Then she asked, "What's up?" She stared at a blue feather that was stuck in his hair. 

Wooyoung said casually, "Oh um... I was wondering if you are willing to be my partner for the dance later." Tiffany stared at him as if he had just spoke in a foreign language. She must have looked pretty mystified, because Wooyoung was suddenly saying, "If you don't want to, its okay-" Tiffany interupted, "No no! It's great. Its just..." 

"Just what?" Wooyoung asked, tilting his head. Then the dance music played and Wooyoung held out his hand for Tiffany, smiling . She took his hand and they went to the dance floor. It was just as well, because she had no idea how to answer Wooyoung. 


---Jessica's POV---

She thought that the original dance was exciting. The later part was even more interesting.

Jessica and Jonghyun came to a stop when the music died. They thought it was over, but a new music played. This time a new song. Jessica registered the song as the American hit - DJ got us falling in love again. 

She grinned at Jonghyun and he nodded his head with a grin on his face. They started dancing along to the beat to the music, which was cool. The other couples looked at them for a while and then they got the message - just dance.

It could be counted as one of the happiest moments in her life. It was so cool. She didn't know when, It was like suddenly Yoona, Sooyoung, Taeyeon and Yuri came dancing together beside each other. She Jonghyun grinning at Key who was dancing with Sooyoung beside them. Then suddenly, Jang Min's group and f(x) came dancing beside them. It seemed to have happened in a matter of seconds, but the song was already halfway through.

Then it suddenly became like a competition. Jessica liked the feel of it. It seemed that all of them had the same idea. For some (creepy) reason, they dancing was almost the same, almost synchronised. Jessica realised that people had formed a circle around them, watching them. 

Then, Jessica found herself back in the crowd with the rest. She stared in the middle of the circle and she saw Yoona and Taemin dancing, and their 'opponent' was Sulli and a guy from Jang Min's group. Jessica took a note that Jang Min's group were pretty good dancers.

The music was almost ending, another 1 minute to go. Jessica watched Yoona and Taemin. For some reason, she started to feel nervous. This was being witnessed by everyone, in idol terms, the public. They needed to do very well, if not... She didn't want to think about it. But she didn't doubt Yoona's and Taemin's dancing skills. They were the best in the company, even Lee Soo Man praised them.

Jessica didn't need to think hard about being impressed afterwards. Taemin and Yoona's dance was so synchronised, people would think that they practiced it. They seemed so engrossed in dancing, like it was their life. Jessica was impressed by the amount of passion they put into dancing. The crowd ooohed and ahhed whenever they made a exact turn. Jessica cracked a smile. 

Sulli was looking a little frazzled by then and she pushed herself to dance even better. But she was clearly losing, if it was a competition. Taemin and Yoona were clearly enjoying their time, as if they didn't care about the whole world. When the song ended on a beat, Taemin spun Yoona around. Then they ended with leaning back to back.

Everybody cheered and clapped. Taemin and Yoona bowed to the crowd. Then the crowd slowly dispersed. Sulli had disappeared. Everyone ran towards the two dancers and hugged them. Taeyeon said as she hugged Yoona fiercely, "You did great there!" Yoona just blushed and said, "No! It was because of Taemin..."

Taemin then interupted, "Actually, we did it well together. For the first part. The last part was beacuse we went a bit out of our minds." Then he grinned everyone nodded their heads. While everyone was talking, Jessica and Jonghyun slipped away and went out of the hall.


They walked along the quiet corridors of the school. After a while of silence, Jonghyun said, "They danced pretty well, didn't they?" Jessica nodded. Then they reached the garden that extended on a balcony. The moon was full and the wind was cold. They walked through the garden and observed the plants. It was silent. 

Jonghyun led Jessica through a thick hedge that she never knew about. There was a single bench that overlooked the street and city below. "How did you find this place?" Jessica wondered. Jonghyun shrudded and said, "Onew. He told me about this place. He likes digging around, you know?" Jessica nodded.

Jonghyun then sighed as he looked out at the scenery. The sky was blanketed with stars. It was amazing. "I don't know what our comeback song should be, you know. Manager hyung told us that we could write the lyrics to it." Jonghyun told Jessica. She thought for a while s she absorbed the details.

Just then, a cold breeze blew through the garden. Jessica shivered as she pulled her fur coat around her shoulders, but it was still cold. Jonghyun saw that and he leaned close to her and hugged her. Jessica got a shock for a moment then she relaxed her body. "You're really cold." Jonghyun noted. She nodded her head.

Jessica was aware of how close their faces were. She could feel Jonghyun's warm breath on her cold cheeks. Jessica nodded then she turned to look at Jonghyun. They gazed at each other for a while. 

Jonghyun then said, "Your eyes are really beautiful. They look like diamonds." Jessica smiled. Jonghyun continued, "I don't want to lose you, ever in my life." Jessica smiled. "Me too." she agreed. The breeze blew again. 

They leaned in and kissed, for who knows how long. It was a moment they both wanted to be frozen in forever


I'm going to leave it like that. Wait for the next chapter guys. I'M EVIL BWAHAHA XD. Please comment and subscribe! Thank you!